Which Cam in 318

-

ValiantMike

Reaction score
I need some opinions on which cam to use in my 318. Car is 1964 Valiant, I'm guessing around 3100lbs, 4spd with 8 3/4 / 3.91 gears, suregrip. Motor is stock bottom end, mid eighties 318, with 302 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, jetted down 750 Holley, and Spitfire headers. Exhaust is not yet purchased. That will be my next question. Car is for occasional street use, and rare trip to track. Would like for it to go good and sound good. What do you think would be a wise cam choice? Thanks Mike

Just phone comp cams tech line or any other reputable cam manufacturer, they will help you out better than someone who hasn't done the research that they have. They have spent MILLION$$$$ on it! That's what I would do! Tom

go down to local mopar performance dealer a pick up a "stock" 340 cam and springs. that should be plenty of power for you if your gonna run it on the street.

I have a sim. setup and went with comp 20-222-3 with the 901 springs.
Seems to be what the majority thought I should use.

go with the comp cam xe268h. this is good from 1600 - 5800 rpm. it this is too tame then go with comp cam xe 274. this is good from 1800 - 6000. both will lope. both will pull good with a 4 speed w/ 3.91 rear. stock 340 cam will be too tame with that setup imo........

7demon2 said:
go with the comp cam xe268h. this is good from 1600 - 5800 rpm. it this is too tame then go with comp cam xe 274. this is good from 1800 - 6000. both will lope. both will pull good with a 4 speed w/ 3.91 rear. stock 340 cam will be too tame with that setup imo........
the second one i had im my first 318 an she pulled great,its was cool smashing 396 ss elco's 350 this 350 thats,good time with that motor!

MIKEY

Sounds good. I'm leaning towards the xe274. I just sent info in to Comp to see what they think. Thanks again to all, Mike

there great guys to deal with i send them new combos im thinking of all the time expect two days to get info back!good luck Bud
MIKEY

Oh as far as what to do about exhaust look into Moroso spiralflows the things sound killer an made more power then my super 40's

no i not u can see in my pic thats all i run its sticks up the car but it sounds bad an thats all i care about.

MIKEY

while your still looking i'd check out the new crane musclecar lumpy cam out it's suppoese to have the lope + power my cousin just put one in his 318 it sounds awesome more lope than my comp 280 484 cam don't know how it pulls yet he's being easy on it to break the new motor in

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on buying cam, and I just want to ask one more time for anyones opinion on which is best suited for this 318 with headers, 302 heads, Edelbrock performer intake/Holley 750, 4spd with 3.91s, in a 1964 Valiant(approx. 3100lbs). I gave info to CompCams and they recommend the XE268H-10. I'm also considering the XE274H-10, because of future plans for zero deck pistons and a .040 bore. I'm adding specs below. I appreciate any info or opinions. Thanks Mike

XE274H-10 Specs

CAMSHAFT SPECIFICATIONS:

Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,800-6,000 RPM
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 230
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 236
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 230 int./236 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 274
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 286
Advertised Duration: 274 int./286 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.488 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.491 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.488 int./0.491 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Grind Number: CRS XE274H-10

XE268H-10 Specs

CAMSHAFT SPECIFICATIONS:

Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,600-5,800 RPM
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 230
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./230 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 268
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 280
Advertised Duration: 268 int./280 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.477 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.480 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.477 int./0.480 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Grind Number: CRS XE268H-10

This is a great thread guys. I am planning on upgrading my 318 soon and even posted about a cam change.

The best option for that package would be the XE268, especially if you work the heads a bit and use a thinner Mopar performance head gasket to bump the compression up close to 9:1. The cam will lope and wil carry good all around power.

The 274 is also a decent choice, but i would not go any higher, as you will lose valuable low end torque, making the car feel sluggish in the lower RPM band.

The Comp 260H is another decent choice with .440 lift, just slightly more than a stock 340 cam. It has loads of low end torque and will operate in the range of 1,500-5,000 RPM.

I would not go any lower than a Comp 252 or something with similar specifications.

At any rate, i would tend to error on the more milder side of choice with this motor setup (i.e. Comp XE268 or 260H). They will provide the best drivability and overall most dynamic power band, which is desirable for your intentions with the car. A cam with a rough, choppy idle doesn't neccessarily represent the best cam choice for certain motors.

Justin

Thanks again guys. Moparj, I agree with you on the 268 and I beleive it will be the best choice for my combination. i was tempted to go with the 274, but in reconsidering, I beleive the 268 will fit in the best. I'll let you know how it works out. Mike

ValiantMike said:
Thanks again guys. Moparj, I agree with you on the 268 and I beleive it will be the best choice for my combination. i was tempted to go with the 274, but in reconsidering, I beleive the 268 will fit in the best. I'll let you know how it works out. Mike

I have used the 268 in a heavy car a 70 satalite and still had decent low end. you will be happy! And the 4spd will be even better. Have the heads had any work? Sorry I should re-read the entire postings.. Maybe I would mill the heads to put the compression back on the low end. Other than that should run great!

I'm going XE268H for my street machine also. I wonder how it will react with stock internals and stock convertor?

sublimeswinger said:
I have a sim. setup and went with comp 20-222-3 with the 901 springs.
Seems to be what the majority thought I should use.

I bought the same cam for my 318, but haven't installed it yet. How do you like it? Have you been doing any street racing?

urchinhead said:
I bought the same cam for my 318, but haven't installed it yet. How do you like it? Have you been doing any street racing?

Well I'm ready to pull the trigger on that camshaft. :toothy7:

-
Back