which carb?

-

varlo

Joe- Long Island, Oakdale
Reaction score
Hi all some of you know I I own a 75 scamp with a 360 and 4 speed. I love driving my car but its time for a new carb. When I punch it the car will hesitate, bog out sometimes rough idle... I have just decided to do a new carb. My 360 is a stock motor 1986 block, nothing but a set of headers and electric dumps. I have a set of heads with 2.02's and have a new edelbrock performer intake I willl be putting on. My intentions are to add these,ceramic coated headers and maybe new pistons rings. So what carb should I go with. Id prefer a holley and a couple of local buddies are good at tuning them. I'm only 21 so the whole carb thing I don't know much about and "grasping" it isn't coming to me so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Them new Summit carburetors are supposed to be nice.

thanks i will keep that in mind anyone else want to chime in? what size carb would be optimal to?

Check out the new AED750 carbs,Summit carries them now.I have the AED850HO(930cfm)on my 408 and love it.Bolt on and go!They,re a modified Holley and response is great!

thanks pettybludart I appreciate the guidance. My problem is with my intentions on the motor. I do not know what size cfm carb to go with. Im just a un-knowledgable young gun :(

I have a 670 Holley Street Avenger on my 360 and love it. My enigne is far from stock but the 670 basically bolted on and required zero jetting changes, only tweaked the idle speed, checked the float levels and went one spring softer in the secondaries.

Not to say you may not need to make other changes but these carbs are set up more for the street than track so they will require less tuning on a basically stock motor.

I'd do a 650 DP as the engine sits.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but does anyone think this is a little to much for my application?

http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?pid=399&gb=1&ctgn=54&stt=0

The size would be right for your application.I would stay away from a vacuum secondary carb though since you have a four speed. A 650 DP can be had for $50 bucks on ebay and have one of the holley specialty shops go through it. You could rebuild it yourself, it would be a good learning experience for you. Holleys are good carbs that are easy to learn, especially if you have some friends that can help you along the way.

The size would be right for your application.I would stay away from a vacuum secondary carb though since you have a four speed. A 650 DP can be had for $50 bucks on ebay and have one of the holley specialty shops go through it. You could rebuild it yourself, it would be a good learning experience for you. Holleys are good carbs that are easy to learn, especially if you have some friends that can help you along the way.

Be careful what you buy on e-bay, especially a used holley, you really can't & won't find a "decent" 650dp core for 50 bucks, a parts carb yes, not a good core, i'd say at least 100 bucks, but even then it could spell trouble, then your back to the drawing board looking for another carb, there is a few on there that rebuild them & the price is right, just be careful buying used.

Heres an example of a decent buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holl...QQitemZ130436285568QQptZAutomotiveQ5fServices

Heres a NOT so decent buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holl...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This ones not too shabby, but i'd shell out the extra 100 bucks for the 1st. one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOLL...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I have a Holley 700 dp that I was going to list here on FABO in a few days (when I can get pics). It has only been run for about 30 or 45 minutes so it is virtually new. My car is a auto so I decided to go vacuum secondary route. PM me if you are interested

dgc333 and I agree. His fooling around with his car/engine combo has tested a number of carbs. You set up is similar IIRC to his. I'd run that carb.

Dgc, that Allstate carb has beenround here for a long time and are known to be very good. Theres a guy there who is a major MoPar man. The other fellas are also old school guys into cars. There not just a fly by night place or in it just to make money. There car guys. I highly recomend these guys.

-
Back