Which carpet?

-

cudamark

Reaction score
Looking to buy a carpet kit for my '66 Valiant and I find a wide range of prices and types. In looking at the ACC Carpet site, they list both a loop and a tails loop. What the heck is the difference between the two? I looks like they use the same photo. Same thing on the two little carpet pieces for the console. They list two different ones but they look the same in the photo. I'm looking for something that looks like the original. Is buying through OC Carpet still getting me the ACC carpet? They sure have a lot better price than the ACC site. Thanks.

I just spoke to my ACC rep and he told me that both part numbers is the same profile. The different part numbers happens to cover changes that Chrysler may have created a different part number back in the day or a new number superceded the previous due to some possible change.

The term "tails" refers to the extra amount of carpet that extends back into the rear wheel well area so that you would have a finished product when looking down between the edge of the seat and door panel. Some of the carpet sets are cut straight across in this area. Quite common on four door sedan / wagon applications where you would see that area with the door open. Some of the factory applications used a grommet on each side to position the carpet for the ease of installation.

The "loop" terminology refers to the construction of the carpet fiber itself. It is actually a "loop" process to give the strands of fiber a rigid and defined shape while being strong and maintaining its shape.

ACC has the ability of molding the carpet in either a 80/20 nylon loop, the cutpile or essex configuration. The 80/20 was the factory original styling where the cutpile or essex is more like what you will find in some of the modern automotive uses. The cutpile or essex gives you more color alternatives as well if your looking for more of a custom look.

-
Back