Which disc brake conversions have others used

-

WayneShelton

Reaction score
Im wanting to covert from front drum brakes to disc brakes, but yet I want to still keep the look of the 5 on 4 small bolt pattern. So I was wondering which would be the best conversion kit. Ive been looking at the various options from Classic Industries. But was wanting to get some input from the forum to see what others have used...

wilwood has a conversion kit that uses your stock drum spindles. i believe it narrows your track width 1/4 inch per side and has dual 4 and 4.5 bolt pattens in the hub if you ever go bbp your good to go in the front end department.

but im not sure you didnt say what kind of car you want brakes for?
do you have 9 or 10 inch brakes now?

dont take my word for it just do a little research on the correct wilwoods for your application. there are probably variables im not aware of

personally im going with the factory 73 and up spindles/brakes so i can get parts anywhere when i need them. im not gonna build a space shuttle. i just want to cruise again.

im sure somebody with more knowledge than me will chime in after you let us know what your working with.

this kit says you have to have a larger center hole in your rim (3.05")
1970 DODGE DART Wilwood Forged Dynalite Pro Series Front Disc Brake Kits 140-11023

9" Drum and Wilwood Disc Brake Conversion

Disc brake conversion (70 Dart)

Last edited:
I have talked to Cass at Dr Diff about this. I bought one of his disc brake conversions for my Charger, but that was already the big bolt pattern (BBP) 5x4.5.

I asked him about kits for my Barracuda, and told him I would need to hold off for a while do to cost of not only the conversion kit, but also buying different axles and brakes for the rear, as well as new wheels and tires. He told me that he could swap in small bolt pattern rotors for the front so I wouldn't have to do everything at once, then when I was ready to convert to big bolt pattern, I could just swap out the front rotors.

It's an option for you to be able to convert and still keep your small bolt pattern wheels. Keep in mind though that the conversion pushes your wheels out about 3/4". With my current backspacing on my wheels, it looked to me like that may put my tires pretty close to the lip of the wheel openings, so I haven't done it yet. If I need to buy new wheels to correct the backspacing, I might as well do the whole BBP conversion.

Stainless Steel Brake Corp. They do small bolt kits. The rotors are dual pattern,you install the studs. Both are supplied 7/16 and 1/2'' You must use the 10'' A body drum brake spindles. I have use several kits from them.

I've used both wilwood and Dr Diff. For the money Dr Diff can't be beat.

I have Wilwood and am very disappointed. Heck I may elect to rip em off and go back to stock.

I too have used the SSBC kit on my Dart GT. Pricey? Yes! But it is a very complete kit. I'd use them again.

-
Back