Which engine 70 dart

-

MattyP

Reaction score
Debating what engine to power my 70 dart with, has a factory slant 6, open to all options, even thinking about keeping the slant. I worry about big block handling and braking, what does everyone think?

What I think, given the choice, any small block....big block, I would go 383.

Debating what engine to power my 70 dart with, has a factory slant 6, open to all options, even thinking about keeping the slant. I worry about big block handling and braking, what does everyone think?
What kind of budget do you have in mind?
What are your mechanical skills like?
What do you ultimately want to do with the car?
Driveability concerns, gas mileage, etc.
Be very honest with yourself about what you want and will put up with as well as your skillset and time frame.

You have to figure these things out before you post a question like this, or you'll get every answer under the sun on what everyone else wants.
It's nice to spend your money and time, but..........

Dartnut, I appreciate that you are detail oriented, the question was vague intentionally, I'm looking for generalizations not a start to finish plan, we can get into details at a later date, thanks thou!

Anything you want . food for thought : aussie hemi 6 or 4.0L jeep (still a Mopar) with a turbo or centrifical supercharger

If starting from scratch and wanting to keep it Mopar powered I'd go modern hemi keeping the fuel injection and all. To me it gives the best all around drivability,reliability and damn good power for a great driver.

If I didn't have 90% of the stuff already when I put the 360 in Jamie's dart I'd have gone modern hemi. Kinda regret not doing it.

Dartnut, I appreciate that you are detail oriented, the question was vague intentionally, I'm looking for generalizations not a start to finish plan, we can get into details at a later date, thanks thou!
No problem, man.
It's just that i've seen too many ''still born'' projects sit and sit because the owner had delusions of grandeur and the car never gets finished.
Maybe throw us a bone here about the basics of what you want and can do yourself.............

He mentioned being willing to keep the /6 & most are pushing the spend more / go big button.

If it ain't broke........

he also mentioned putting a big block in it. but he also asked for opinions. some love the slant and thats fine. i personally couldn't live with the slant. so damn boring to drive. decent mpg i guess but boring as hell to drive. to modify one is pretty expensive to get to very mild small block performance.

No problem, man.
It's just that i've seen too many ''still born'' projects sit and sit because the owner had delusions of grandeur and the car never gets finished.
Maybe throw us a bone here about the basics of what you want and can do yourself.............

I can do pretty much anything, I once resized a connecting rod for a 3.5 on a lathe, I once over bored one hole in an olds 403 with a hand hone, that car ran 13.5 easy. I'm a total budget guy with access to lots of cheap used parts. I have a 383 sitting here, I have a 340 sitting in my kitchen, I'd be happy with a 318. I finish projects. I'd like to be able to run a catalytic converter for smell control, I'm almost thinking about one of those pre magnum 318s with the holley FI, factory setup but nothing is in stone, just feeling it out. thanks for your interest!

When I worked for the agency I used to drive these dodge vans, they were light as hell panel vans with no windows, 318 powered, man they really went good, I was always surprised, so were the mustang guys that I raced with it haha

'70 dart, no brainer....340.
Economical, fast, cheap parts, easy to work on, good handling, good mileage and very desirable!

Go Big 408 to 440. Or don't waste your time and just sell it. Find a B body. It's what everyone wants anyways.

toss an junkyard LS engine in there

View attachment 1715389470

run.png

One thing I always hate about using a 440 in an A body is not being able to use tall valve covers without moving the blower motor, 383 and 400 no problem. But I'd still rather use the 440 but I like them all.

Do you even need tall valve covers, a buddy of mine ran stock valve covers and Harlin Sharp rockers.
No you don't have to use them, stock will work, I had a set of mopar performance aluminum and they wouldn't fit.

Back in 69 I think it was Road and Track had a 69 Dart 440 gt that was stolen from them. They weren't interested in the car but they did a story on the car after it was recovered. It had been stolen by two guys that raced it around NY city. It came back with primered 68 front fenders along with various other primed body parts. The car had headers and slicks on it and supposedly ran so low 11s at a local strip.
But I read that at the age of 11 and have always thought it would be nice to have a 440 dart.

They are fun, my first 440 dart experience was back in 1986, we put a 440 in my brother in laws 70 dart. We had a blast with that car, he still owns it.

I like slants. They're different. They're reliable. They'll last a long time. They don't cost a lot.

-
Back