Which engine would be easiest for my swap?

-

Truckie

Reaction score
Going to do a 360 magnum swap in my son’s 67 Dart. I have two engines available. One is out of a 1993 1 ton with a manual transmission. The other is about of a 99-2000 1/2 ton with automatic. I want to use the stock fuel injection. Which engine would be the easiest to do this with? I’m thinking the 93 would be, but not sure. Also the 93 has fewer miles and I know more about that engine because it’s out of a family members truck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Well the EFI part, the 96+ will have OBD II so it clearly has better scan tool support. If you plan to leave it bone stock then maybe you can get by with the OE ECU.

If I'm being honest, I would throw the OEM computer in the trash and run a Megasquirt of some sort to control the remaining parts.

Is this a trick question? (Seriously)

You basically have two identical engines minus miles on them.
I wasn’t trying to trick anyone. I’ll claim stupidity. Lifting the hood of both trucks, they looked different at first glance. The 93 has a metal, older style air cleaner and the 99 had a plastic box. I never removed either to see what was underneath. The 93 also had an aluminum intake and I was thinking the 99 was plastic. I also just assumed the electronics on a 93 would be far less complicated.

The electronics are very similar on both, except like goldduster318 mentioned one has OBD1 and the other is OBD2. Neither one is "easier' to wire in for a conversion swap. They are similar, although the 99 will have more wires you will not use that were for transmission control.
The intakes on both of these will be aluminum and very similar, except the 93 will have an EGR setup and the 99 will not.
The biggest question on which engine to use will be the actual condition of the engines. What is the actual mileage of both, and what do they look like inside? A Magnum with 150,000 miles that got oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles will have less wear than a 50,000 mile Magnum in a 1 ton truck that only had two or three oil changes it's whole life because it was a work truck nobody cared about.

What transmission do you plan to run in the car?

@Truckie OK cool. I was wondering & not joking. We have had a few members come in as new guys with questions and topics that were, in the end a great topic but... the first post was.. well... I’ll just say I was thinking to myself, WTF? Is he kidding me or is this a trap to screw with people?

I’ll have to run with going to the OBD2as a easier computer to contend with. But maybe use the known better engine. It would complicate matters a tad maybe with swapping parts? IDK myself. The trans issue is a good question.

This sounds like a good project I’m subscribing to.

I don’t know what transmission yet. The dart has a slant six and the transmission is great it in, but I’m assuming it won’t work with the magnum. I’d like to get my hands on an overdrive transmission if I could find one at a reasonable price. I’m planning on putting a keep Cherokee 8.25 in it with 3.55 rearend. Open to transmission suggestions.

You assume correctly that the slant six stuff will not bolt up to the V8.

A standard rear wheel drive Dakota has a OD transmission. There are the 904 variant. They do not have provisions for a floor shifter. An easy fix is aftermarket shifter that cable operates.

Are there junk yards near by?

Throw the computer crap in the ditch and put a carburetor on it. You'll be ridin in a weekend.

-
Back