which grade fuel

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I found a local store that's carries regular leaded gas in all 3 grades. Which should I choose for a 65 Barracuda Formulas S with the commando engine. I have 4 gals regular to use in the lawn mower and thought I would use that for now while the car is still in the garage. Any ideas. It does cost more but this may solve the evaporation we have discussed before.

If your engine is well worn, you can get away with 89 octane with something like stock tuning. If your engine is well worn and you want to run the cheap stuff, retard the timing. If your engine is developing full compression, suggest the 92 octane.

Leaded gas for all practical purposes evaporates just like ethanol laced unleaded.

^ How do you accomplish that?

Consistent maintenance, attacking problems ,as they occur,adapting to the times. There is a 75 year old lady,driving a 66 Fair lane 390 four speed ,since new. Why,she asks questions & does research. Heads have never been off,the stock FE.(quite ,an accomplished thing ).....

A stock formula S 273 should have 10.5 compression, I would use something around 93 or above.

I can't believe you asked for this, PoisonDart74. To retard the timing on the LA V-8, loosen the screw at the base of the distributor and rotate the distributor in a counter clockwise direction.

On a more serious note, the Clean Air Package tune-up specs set the timing at 5º ATDC in contrast to the more normal 10º BTDC for the other 49 states.

The LA distributor turns clockwise, to retard timing, turn distributor clockwise.

But an engine can knock on compression, even without ignition, if the dynamic compression is too high.

If that station is selling real "leaded" fuel, it is breaking the law. Perhaps you meant ethanol free?

Only leaded fuel I know of is airport fuel or race fuel. Illegal forthem to pump in your vehicle if it has license plates on it. No plates and trailered ok, or container ok.

I used a container. This is a small town in North Carolina with several small farms. IO guess they sell this for the tractors. Sure makes my lawn mower run better.

I used a container. This is a small town in North Carolina with several small farms. IO guess they sell this for the tractors. Sure makes my lawn mower run better.

I'll bet it does. I use 93 octane Shell Premium in my 66 HP 273. I have used Regular (both with out ethanol) with no problems. tmm

-
Back