Which Higher Cap Oil Pan(s) fit 89 LA360 swapped into 70 Swinger 318 car?

-

Bob Wilkie

Reaction score
Building a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger 318 car. Swapping in a 1989 roller-rocker LA 360 stroker. I am sure there will be a few parts I need to think about when dressing the engine to fit the car. I do not want a 4 quart oil pan so which higher capacity oil pans will fit this A-body stroker setup without dropping too far below the K-member? Factory power steering setup by the way

Why do you need a bigger oil pan? Millions of cars have survived with the stock pan..

Why do you need a bigger oil pan? Millions of cars have survived with the stock pan..
Why do you care? He's not asking for your approval. If you can't supply him with info, then say nothing.
I took two 360 pass car pans, cut off the bottom of one as low as possible and added it to another sump cut off as high as possible and still be able to mate them up. It worked out to be just about level or just slightly recessed from the k-frame bottom. It gave me about a 7qt pan w/filter. That was pretty easy. Extending the pickup was the hard part.

If you can't find one that doesn't hang too low consider an oil accumulator which "stores" an extra quart that is released at low oil pressure if the pan runs dry.

When you decide on what pan you'll buy "Caution" I have had several different brands where they leaked at the welds. Fill your pan with Diesel and let it sit on Cardboard . See if and where it leaks and fix it prior to install. Recently had two from Milodon . We use to just install them until we had these leakers. Now we check them all on customer engines. Why waste the gaskets and the time to take the pan off and install it twice. I would say 90% are fine but you never know if you get one of the 10%

There is no particular pan with this problem. Welds are unpredictable and manufactures do not have a leak test before shipping them. Fabricated Valve covers have the same issue.

For the street with extra capacity we use a Milodon. But trimming the K-member on the passenger side is required;

The first pic is a Milodon that needed to be welded that is why it was painted Orange. Second picture is a Milodon in a car that is how low it hangs. Notice how close it is to the K member. If your running rubber mounts cut for extra clearance.

20171202_141710.jpg

DSCN1670.jpg

not to highjack
what factory pan and pick up # ?

I have a Kevko pan on my small block Australian A body and it fitted great with no leaks but was about an inch lower than the crossmember so I just welded a piece on the lower section of the crossmember that was just below the pan so if I ever bottomed out on something it would only hit the K member and not take out the pan.

I have a Kevko pan on my small block Australian A body and it fitted great with no leaks but was about an inch lower than the crossmember so I just welded a piece on the lower section of the crossmember that was just below the pan so if I ever bottomed out on something it would only hit the K member and not take out the pan.
Yeah, I agree on the skid plate idea, especially if the car is lowered. When I looked last, a couple years ago, there were a couple of aftermarket plates available on the internet.

When you decide on what pan you'll buy "Caution" I have had several different brands where they leaked at the welds. Fill your pan with Diesel and let it sit on Cardboard . See if and where it leaks and fix it prior to install. Recently had two from Milodon . We use to just install them until we had these leakers. Now we check them all on customer engines. Why waste the gaskets and the time to take the pan off and install it twice. I would say 90% are fine but you never know if you get one of the 10%

There is no particular pan with this problem. Welds are unpredictable and manufactures do not have a leak test before shipping them. Fabricated Valve covers have the same issue.

For the street with extra capacity we use a Milodon. But trimming the K-member on the passenger side is required;

The first pic is a Milodon that needed to be welded that is why it was painted Orange. Second picture is a Milodon in a car that is how low it hangs. Notice how close it is to the K member. If your running rubber mounts cut for extra clearance.

View attachment 1715949020

View attachment 1715949021
that doesn't look too low for street use. I bought that same pan for the 440 in my Challenger and it was two inches lower than the K-member, headers and everything else. It would have been the first point of contact if I hit a decent bump or dip. How much trimming had to be done to the K-member?

Which Kevko part number? Will it clear a stroked crank 360?

Yes it is is my 410 stroker and has factory 360 windage tray. Don't know the part number as I bought it at a swap meet but it was new from a engine builder.

-
Back