Which hydraulic throwout bearing?

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
Hi there.

Last year I installed a hydraulic clutch assembly into my '65 Barracuda that has an A833-OD gearbox. I've fiddled and fiddled with the pull-type slave cylinder and varying clutch forks, but I just can't get enough throw to disengage. I'm using a Wilwood 7/8" bore master cylinder. The clutch is a nice Centerforce diaphragm unit. I've decided to quit messing with the slave cylinder and just go with a hydraulic throwout bearing. Can anyone point to exactly which manufacturer/model/part number I should be looking for? I've seen the McLeod unit, but $465 is a bit steep.

Thanks,
Marcus

I went thru the same dilemma with my '71 Duster. I ended up using a Powertrain Technologies Street Max unit. It's basically the same one American Powertrain uses except that it's black. Costs about $311 if I remember correctly. I'm usng a 7/8 bore wilwood master cylinder. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,131
Here's a couple pics of the one from American Powertrain, along with the floating retainer.
Hope it all works as good as they say!

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,155
  • b2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 990
  • b4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 965
  • b5.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 891
Mine works quite well. Haven't tried any power shifts yet since the engine is new. A diaphram clutch is preferred.

Could one of you guys take a pic of it installed so I could see the distance between the fingers and face of the bearing?

Bueller, Bueller?!

I got mine all set up, installed, and there is over a 1/4 inch between the fingers and bearing face. So I called AmericanPowertrain and told them the solid spacer is too big and the 5 shims was not enough. They are sending me more shims and a longer stud. Hoping this will get me the clearance they call for, .150-200.

That wouldn't work on the A833 trans, but yes there are others that could work.

I don't know of any htb. that mopar used on any car that could retro fit to the earlier trans. Aftermarket is what's available.

I don't know of any htb. that mopar used on any car that could retro fit to the earlier trans. Aftermarket is what's available.

LOL. I don't mean just Mopar. I was thinking ANYTHING that is inexpensive to buy, and could be adapted, Chev, Chev pickup, etc, I don't know who all does what.

Ram Clutches hydraulic release bearing part #78135 is for corvettes but has the correct 1.25 diameter to fit an A body 4speed.

Ram Clutches hydraulic release bearing part #78135 is for corvettes but has the correct 1.25 diameter to fit an A body 4speed.

Well that is certainly a good bit cheaper. Meanwhile, LOL, you can buy one EG a V6 Ranger for less than a hundred.

Make sure you use the correct bearing surface contour to suit your clutch finger type.

I'm going to try to revive this thread. I liked the direction 67dart was taking this, has anyone figured out a factory replacement that will work for our cars? Aside from the vette replacement

I got mine all set up, installed, and there is over a 1/4 inch between the fingers and bearing face. So I called AmericanPowertrain and told them the solid spacer is too big and the 5 shims was not enough. They are sending me more shims and a longer stud. Hoping this will get me the clearance they call for, .150-200.
I had to machine the solid spacer down to get the clearance needed.

I hunted every where for a hydraulic throw out bearing for my 18 spline and never found anything to entertain my ideas. So I settled on the American powertrain kit with peddle and throw out bearing.

I was also going to recreate the mounting setup for the master cylinder.

I like where this discussion is going. I have a clutchflight that I have been for a hydraulic throw out bearing

is this a certainty? as i am looking to find a replacement one for mine and being in Australia its proving to be a real problem

I've found threads where people have used the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder from a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder in conjunction with the old style fork/throw out bearing and pedals. I got everything for under like 59 bucks on amazon.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/hydraulic-clutch.33640/#post-276918 His posts start at #8 his username is duster.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will have a look at the thread tonight as I'm about to leave for work now, but just quickly, I heard back from an eBay seller who has the corvette ones, he says the ID of the bearing is 1.375" and the a833 input shaft measures 1.25", so I'm assuming that won't work?

I went thru the same dilemma with my '71 Duster. I ended up using a Powertrain Technologies Street Max unit. It's basically the same one American Powertrain uses except that it's black. Costs about $311 if I remember correctly. I'm usng a 7/8 bore wilwood master cylinder. Here's a pic.

Old thread I know but how is that power train technologies throwout bearing holding up? I need to buy one but I don't want to spend the $700 that American powertrain wants for their kit.

-
Back