Which intake - 440

-

Demonx2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Let's hear some expertise from some of you big block guys/gals! This question is about my 440...but it's not in either Demon. It's in my 69 Charger - so not an A-body but I figure this forum will still speak out!

The car was a full street car that I raced 30 years ago. Parked it one day when family took over my priorities 30 years ago. Been sitting ever since in my garage. So with both Demons up and running (but never done!), it may soon be time to wake up the Charger.

30 over 440, 9.2 cr (oops!), 292/.509 purple cam, iron heads with mild porting. 750 vacuum Holley on an Edelbrock CH4B intake, Hooker Comp headers (don't remember tube size), 4.10 gear, SS springs, 28x10.5 slicks. 727 with a 3200 stall converter. Car weight 4200#'s...without me!! Yep, a real lightweight! Car was very consistent and ran high 12.50's at 108-ish. No plans to rebuild the engine - I'll replace/refresh the parts needed after sitting so long.

Alright, with all that said, the real question is about the intake manifold. I have a couple other unported intakes for it that have made their way to my house over the years. Have a Torker 440 and a Holley Street Dominator. Looking at these 2 intakes, neither look very good after looking at the Super Victor on my Demon's 408 or the spare Eddie RPM Airgap waiting in the wings for the 408. The Street Dominator looks like a low-rise single plane and the Torker more like a mid-rise single plane. I won't be racing the car regularly as that is what the avatar car is for. And Chargers seem to have escalated in value too much during its long slumber. But it may still see an occasional blast at the track to relive my youth.

So let's hear some tech - CH4B that's on it (also unported), Torker 440, or Street Dominator? And why? I would port any of them this time around but which one? Thx!

with the stall and 4.10s i would think the torker and a 750 dp be perfect
thought 440 guys loved the torker intake
iam not a big block guy

Why bother, an intake isnt going to change much with that set up. You'll still be running high 12's. Just enjoy it or do a complete rebuild

The Street Dominator is the best of what is listed.
It will run right with the Edelbrock RPM.
For years the Street Dominator was the go to manifold for big blocks.

I have run the ch4b ( deep port matched by Hughes Engines) on my 496 in a heavy C body and the street dominator on a 465 c.i. 440.
With your gears and converter I would try the street dominator ( a one inch 4 hole spacer if you have room) . It should pull harder up high where you will be at the track.

Though I've never had one, the SD is supposed to be excellent. I do have a torker, but I run a port matched teamG, and I prefer a TM7 to the torker. I have a TM7, but it's modded for a maxwedge port.
Best for your app would probably be an RPM, but it might result in clearance problems, and doubt it would be enough better than the SD to justify its purchase price.

Appreciate the inputs from all of you. It sounds like I should give the Street Dominator a try so when I awaken the car from its slumber, that will be the first one I try.

Looking back at my records (from 30 years ago!!), I should have mentioned that I shifted this car at 5800/5900-ish in 1st and 2nd and it would trap close to 5800. Higher shift speeds, up to 6700 rpm, resulted in the same et so I just shifted it lower to save wear and tear.

Thx fellas!!

-
Back