Which K member?

-

Cevidicus

CevidiGrinch
Reaction score
Hey FABO crew.

Is a V-8 k-member required for a 5.7 swap? Will a 72 /6 k-frame work with the TTi conversion mounts? Would a spool mount '73 up /6 k member be better than the '72 style? I have access to one on the cheap.

I am not sure what the differance is between /6 and V8 K's. I've read that a V-8 K frame is needed but want to confirm.

Which is suggested for a /6 to 5.7 conversion? Either way, I plan on some structural bracing and reinforcement.

What do you folks think? What have you done?

Thanks,

CM

I think you have to use a V8 K frame for either type of TTI mount, but I don't know the exact difference. I would guess the mounting pads might not be wide enough on the /6.

When I bought my mounts from TTI they only had mounts for a 72 down k member. I bought a car with one to use and split it and put the 73+ bottom plate on to allow the sway bar to mount through it instead of in front of it. I saw pictures of another guys work that inspired me, so I also notched the k and reinforced it to allow the angled oil filter adapter to work. I really didn't want a remote filter if I could avoid it. I had to do a little grinding on the tti mount and the standard rubber insulator, but I like the way it ended up.

If I were starting over now I would likely go with the TTI spool mounts because I think it is a stronger and more reliable design and I wouldn't have had to buy one, but I would guess there is not enough room to make an angled filter setup work.

One area of concern right now is how close my TTI headers are to the 73+ steering linkage. I am planning to make some small dents in the headers to give a little extra space. They almost rub right now and I would hate to have the steering bind up under hard acceleration if the engine twist at all. If I have any issues I will just go with a solid mount, but I think some small dents will give plenty of clearance.

Here's pics of how tight the clearance is. I haven't tightened up the pitman or idler yet.

clearance.JPG

clearance2.JPG

Man Thats tight. Have you contacted TTI for suggestions?

thanks for the info.

Looks like I gotta do more searching.....

-
Back