Which kit?

Which kit would you use?

• Summit

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Ebay

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
-
If it was only between those two, go with the Summit kit. The Ebay kit uses those PITA '70's Caddy calipers. Which rear end do you have?

I have 8 3/4 dont want to spend more then 500 :/, but the ebay do have lifetime warranty.

The Summit kit looks like a plain wrapped SSBC kit.

His or yours?:toothy10:

Sorry haha I have a 8 3/4 rear. Im looking for disc, but I dont want to spend more then 500. The ebay kit says it has a lifetime Warranty and is a little cheaper and I can pick it up in Dublin Ca

For that price, I would guess the Summit kit has made in China components. At least the PITA Caddy calipers were designed in the US.You should be able to get replacement calipers and parts with the Caddy pieces.

For that price, I would guess the Summit kit has made in China components. At least the PITA Caddy calipers were designed in the US.You should be able to get replacement calipers and parts with the Caddy pieces.

The Summit one uses thunderbird turbo brake pads, so im guessing thunderbird calipers?

I'm just not a big fan of the Caddy rear calipers. They were a problem when new. The Summit/SSBC calipers are Ford sourced (Thunderbird?) I think.

The GM rear calipers with e-brake calipers were junk in my opinion also. I wouldn't waste my time or money for rear disc brakes anyway. They only do about20% of the braking anyway. Drum brakes work great on the rear...

yes but the 11 2 1/2 i have are a ***** to get parts and I want disc because their lighter

If you're drag racing that's 2 tenths. Good luck. Toolman

at least from Autozone it is...all the parts are wrong or wont work...Fellow friend in socal was going to help, but I want disc now

I would use the Summit kit.

But really, I think you get hooked on ideas then they turn into "must haves".

I don't think you will notice any real differences from rear discs (in your application) other than having $500 less than you once had.

The weight difference will be insignificant.

So my real choice would be getting a used drum set up from a member on here in a more standard size.

thats 20 pounds of sprung weight isnt it?...that wont help at all? The wheels wont take more hp to turn those big o drums. I will be going with lighter wheels for the track as well. And possibly lighter drive shaft. My thing is, I already built the motor and I cant change it. The only way I would change it is if something happen to it. Meaning I cant make the motor have more power or torque, so in order to go faster, I need to lighten the car every possible way while still being safe.

If your intentions are to race this car seriously, and I mean drag race, the summit kit or the ebay kit is probably are the wrong products to be using.
I would suggest a Wilwood kit or a Strange Engineering kit that use better and lighter components and sell for under $500.
There's alot of better ways of spending $500 than on disc brakes or aluminum driveshafts to make a car go faster IMHO but again its your money.

-
Back