Which leaf spring?

-

Wrencher

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently bought a set of wheels and tires for my '66 Dart. I went from 13" to 15". 225/60's on the rear are scrubbing ever so slightly, as the rear end seems to sag a bit. The wheel lip sits right around the top part of the wheel.

I see a few different options, and was wondering what would be my best bet for a replacement set. I am looking for a stock ride height, and I can live with +1 or 2". Ride quality is not a concern really since its not my daily driver. I just want to start driving it more often. What would be a good source?

The mopar springs looked like a great choice at $200 for the pair, but they seem to lift the rear way up, is that correct?

So if you have some input, and hopefully pictures, I would love to see. I was going to just air shock it and forget it but I currently have the money to fix it right, so why not.....

It's a slant six car btw :) Thanks

100_0136.jpg

There is a picture of it currently. Seems a little low, right?
I have nothing to compare it to here in Chevrolet country :)

attachment.php

This is the ride height i would like (lip sitting just above white letter, or half way thorugh), maybe a little lower. Borrowed this pic from member Raptor426, hope he doesnt mind :)

For a street car you might want to look into the Mancini HD spring. It is supposed to be a +1. You are probably also suffering from 40+ years of spring sag.

The Mopar superstock spring will lift the rear end up considerably.

Good luck,
Mike

Thank you, I was actually considering using that seller, he seems to have good feedback.

So +1 is what I will look for. Im headed to Mancini to check them out. After looking around the internet, I notice tons of pictures with the darts sitting right where mine is, to the point where I worried right after posting my pic that mine IS sitting at stock height already.

i like dealing with these guys.. http://www.springsnthings.com/

awesome customer service. can get springs in stock height or +1" and +2"..

Welcome to ESPO Springs 'n Things

Welcome to the website of ESPO Springs 'n Things. To use this website, click on the make of your vehicle above, then choose your model on the next page and then your year.

We carry most of the suspension parts for your vehicle with the exception of shocks, struts, sway bars and torsion bars. To get exact pricing and for prices on suspension parts not listed here, please email us at info@springsnthings.com or call us at 800-903-9019.

We look forward to helping you with your suspension needs so please call us or email us today!

Thank you, I was actually considering using that seller, he seems to have good feedback.

So +1 is what I will look for. Im headed to Mancini to check them out. After looking around the internet, I notice tons of pictures with the darts sitting right where mine is, to the point where I worried right after posting my pic that mine IS sitting at stock height already.

Give me a click on the thanks button. :)

I am running the 2,800 lb Super Stock springs and shocks. Very happy with them on and off the track. Don't believe every thing you hear about "Race only" parts. Some work just fine on the street.

Attachments

• wheelsdart.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,643
How about a set of hotchkis road racing springs.

Is your ride equipped with 4 or 5 leaf currently? I got my set from McVeigh (that ebay link) and it raised the rear about 1.5-2 inches as my rear tires scrubbed just like yours with stock worn out 4 leafs. Pic of new stance with 14 inch wheels.
IMG_0273-1.jpg

Well These are mopars and need the crap driven out of them....not fun polishing and trailering.
Ss springs can be a bit rough, but they do settle once you do several whole shots and drive it like it was meant.

If its too high you can install lowering blocks starting at 3/4" up to 2" but I would go no higher than 1.5" tall lowering block.

I am running the 2,800 lb Super Stock springs and shocks. Very happy with them on and off the track. Don't believe every thing you hear about "Race only" parts. Some work just fine on the street.

Man I like your car 604. I love that scoop!!.

Mike

Thanks!
More pic in "my pic". It is the fabled Pontiac Super duty scoop " Ford dump truck scoop. Figured it is about the only scoop available in 1965. No one would have been able to get there hands on a max wedge scoop in 65.

On subject. The SS springs do ride a little rough. But I do not have much to compare them to. As my original springs were like riding in a worn out caddy.

Man I like your car 604. I love that scoop!!.

Mike

I run the Mancini XHDs in my '66 Dart and they sat very high, over 1"+. I ended up using them with the 1" drop hanger Mancini. They're still very soft in my opinion and I'm having poly bushing added to the rear end to stiffen it up a bit more.

A new set of factory replacement springs will automatically give you at least a +1" in height over your old sagging springs,if not more.

My vote...The cheapest (money wise) set of stock replacement springs you can find.

Seen it all the time, where guys get a +1" spring or heavy duty spring, and then complain that it sits to high. Then they ask how to lower it.

JC Whitney use to sell stock replacement springs for cheap.
My favorite springs of all time.

My vote is for a set of build your own. Go to your local pic-a-part and get a set from most any mopar car. Use your original main leaf and custom build a 5 or 6 leaf set from the original and JY set. I did that and the stance is great and it hooks up a lot better as I made sure to use leafs that "beefed" up the front segment.

I actually seriously considered going the build it yourself route, getting a late model leaf spring and using them with my main spring. However my luck demands that i'd have to take it apart 14 times to get the look i want, and I will lose my motivation rather quickly with a project that runs me in circles. Especially considering that I'll only be into these springs for $250ish. Pull a parts would put me at $60-$80.

I have 5 total springs that i count 65valiant210. When i got into my car this morning to head to work, I noticed that the RR is actually just about an inch BELOW the top lip of the wheel, so it's saggy for sure.

I really dont care about ride quality to be honest, even if it rides like a 1 ton truck, I can live with that. I just want it to have a natural looking stance, hold the road, and have a safe ride height (ie. not scrub on speed bumps and not having to worry if I can drive over whatever that is in the middle of the road) It's never going to the track to race, I'm going to drive the hell out of it and enjoy the car for what it is, a nice driver.

I am not fond of street cars with a huge rake, or ones that sit unnaturally high. Im looking for a 1-2" rake. Now on 604's car, which is really nice btw, the rear doesnt seem to be as high as ive seen on other cars. Think prettybluedarts build.... in which i believe he went with the SS springs and the car seemed to sit a lot higher than i see 604's sitting.

Stopthebeast, do you happen to have a picture of your car with the mancini springs?
Im kind of torn now, between the three companies listed, lol. Mancini gets one vote for being a bit too high, while Mcveigh and springsandthings seem to be consistant..... GEEZ!!!

Thanks on the compliment,
Mine would have rake to it, but I also have the front torsion bars cranked darn near all the way up. Since I actually would rather it be a smidgen higher in the front, since I am going for the gasser look.

I actually seriously considered going the build it yourself route, getting a late model leaf spring and using them with my main spring. However my luck demands that i'd have to take it apart 14 times to get the look i want, and I will lose my motivation rather quickly with a project that runs me in circles. Especially considering that I'll only be into these springs for $250ish. Pull a parts would put me at $60-$80.

I have 5 total springs that i count 65valiant210. When i got into my car this morning to head to work, I noticed that the RR is actually just about an inch BELOW the top lip of the wheel, so it's saggy for sure.

I really dont care about ride quality to be honest, even if it rides like a 1 ton truck, I can live with that. I just want it to have a natural looking stance, hold the road, and have a safe ride height (ie. not scrub on speed bumps and not having to worry if I can drive over whatever that is in the middle of the road) It's never going to the track to race, I'm going to drive the hell out of it and enjoy the car for what it is, a nice driver.

I am not fond of street cars with a huge rake, or ones that sit unnaturally high. Im looking for a 1-2" rake. Now on 604's car, which is really nice btw, the rear doesnt seem to be as high as ive seen on other cars. Think prettybluedarts build.... in which i believe he went with the SS springs and the car seemed to sit a lot higher than i see 604's sitting.

Stopthebeast, do you happen to have a picture of your car with the mancini springs?
Im kind of torn now, between the three companies listed, lol. Mancini gets one vote for being a bit too high, while Mcveigh and springsandthings seem to be consistant..... GEEZ!!!

Side note: Guess who makes the springs for pretty much every seller mentioned ?

JR Spring company......cut out the middle man, and go direct. Do a search.

604- now that you say that, yea, i can see that the front end is indeed up. still like the stance though, and the 65's are my favorite. Had one when i first got my license. Wish I still had it even though it was rough as hell

Johnny - I did a google search on that company, and granted, i didnt try very hard, but I dont see their web page listed, at least on the first twopages of search results

JR spring is out of michigan, and are the same company that supplied JC whitney the 5 leafs (when they had them). Link below.
I was happy with mcveighs on ebay as they come direct from mcveigh. I personally would go stock 5 leafs, or 6 depending on how much power your putting down to the ground, and if its too low or high, use blocks or flip the spring hangers to get your ride height where you want it.

http://www.johnrspring.com/

-
Back