Which one and why?

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Building up a fresh 225, have all gaskets and seals except for the rear main. Rope? Rubber? If I were fishing one in within the car I'd say rubber hands down, easier to fish thru there. But on the stand, with a bare block to start, is rubber still better?
I know that if one was gonna go back with the rope a bare block on a stand would be a better time to. I hate redo's, only want to do it once.

I use rubber rear seals on my builds. It's a more stable material than rope. 65'

The two piece seal is a better sealing solution. NOS rope seal is around, but do you really want to use a 50 year old fiber seal in your freshly built motor?

The two piece seal is a better sealing solution. NOS rope seal is around, but do you really want to use a 50 year old fiber seal in your freshly built motor?
The rope seal is still 2 piece.
You saying that any rope I'd find would be 50 year old stock?

I was figuring on going with the rubber version, but thought I'd ask anyway.

U can still buy the rope seal new. Kim
I don't know for a fact. But I understand the new rope seals are not as good as the old OEM ones. The old ones have asbestos in them and the new ones don't. Like I said, that is what I heard, and don't know if that is true. I have a couple of NOS mopar seals on hand for a motor I'm building.

As for which seal to use, rubber or rope. I would look close at the seal area of the crank shaft. If there is heavy knurling on there use the rope seal. If it is smooth, use the rubber seal.

well Charlie, gotta wait for it to come back from machine shop, to see that....it's in for either a polish or a turn down (not sure what they are gonna need to do to it) the knurling, was the reason I was questioning which way to go.
I might get ahold of you or Dad Truck (that's his name on the other site, he's in this thread above) if it has a heavy knurl to it.... I only wanna put ONE rear main in this engine! Not a redo once it's right side up and bolted in..... I dunno where my "Sneaky Pete" rear main seal tool is these days/ and not inclined to go digging for it, haha

As for which seal to use, rubber or rope. I would look close at the seal area of the crank shaft. If there is heavy knurling on there use the rope seal. If it is smooth, use the rubber seal.
Charlie, when I rebuilt the OE slant from the 68 Barracuda, I looked closely at the knurling and how it matched to a new style rubber lip seal. The lip seal ran close to the knurled finish at the rear main but did not run on it. I used a rubber lip seal. That motor originally had a rope seal. And I used the OE ‘68 rear seal career.

Charlie, when I rebuilt the OE slant from the 68 Barracuda, I looked closely at the knurling and how it matched to a new style rubber lip seal. The lip seal ran close to the knurled finish at the rear main but did not run on it. I used a rubber lip seal. That motor originally had a rope seal. And I used the OE ‘68 rear seal career.
your post dont make sense. was there an "old style" and a "new style" rubber lip seal besides the rope seal?

-
Back