which orange block paint??

-

dodgefreak8

Reaction score
hey everyone I am getting ready to assemble my 318 but i would like to paint the block the same color as the mopar crate motors. My question is what is this color?? race hemi orange or normal hemi orange? thanks

I would go with street hemi orange. What brand of paint? I would not use the Mopar Performance paint, it is junk! You get any drop of engine antifreeze on it and it stains the paint. I recommened using Duplicolor mopar orange paint, it works great!

well that would be great because I can get that at autozone here where I'm at. the mopar stuff I was going to have to order. thanks for the heads up

The Duplicolor has a way better shine and it covers very well, the Mopar stuff is garbage! I used the red Duplicolor stuff and it looks awesome. I used MP street hemi orange on another 340 I have, got a little engine coolant on the paint when I switched intakes, stained the paint to hell!

I'll add that Duplicolor makes a "Chrysler Orange" and a "Street Hemi Orange". The latter has a tiny bit of metallic flake in it like the body color.

I agree. I had to special order the MP paint,and it was so old, it wouldn't even spray out of the can. Crap. The Duplicolor street hemi orange is great. Affordable, available, and nice for a rattle can. Covers nice and hard to get runs.

make sure to use a primer base clear for best results. and clean the crap out of the metal before you put the primer down. I painted a 318 with the dupi and it all flaked because I didn't prime it, since then I have learned and all my motors look great. Also follow the instructions apply all coats within an hour and if you miss the window wait 7 days, The paint will peel and bubble if you don't and is a real pain to get off. It is good stuff an a lot of the shops around here use it.

I found that the advance auto parts store locally had duplicolor, and they were discounting the Chrysler corporate blue color to 1.98 a can. That's that midseventies ugly blue color, but it's high temp quality paint, and it's cheap. Just thought I'd give you guys the heads up.

street hemi is more a reddish orange.
race hemi is more a yellow orange.

i like the street hemi best. personally i don't think the crate engines are even a mopar color. looks more chevy orange.

your best bet it to use epoxy primer on the motor then spray it with a high solids single stage urathane. will give way better results then any spray can. and man that stuff lasts. i have spilled all kinds of stuff on mine and nothing has touched it.

I've never primed an engine and never had a problem. But i would like to follow all of your advise. Do I need to get a high temp primer?? where do I get this stuff??

I've never primed a block/engine when painting it,wipe it down with brake cleaner to get all the grease and any dirt that might be there i've had excellent results with dupicolor..

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I too, have a paint question!

I have a set of magnum heads that I picked up cheap from a guy that had already gotten rid of his Duster.

The heads had been already rebuilt, and painted gloss black. They were never installed on an engine since the rebuild... so they are not greasy, oily or anything.

What sort of prep do I need to do so I can re-paint them orange?

Thanks in advance!

local paint supply company.

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02202.jpg

5-11-05002.jpg

5-11-05001.jpg

5-11-05011.jpg

5-11-05018.jpg

5-17-05001.jpg

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I too, have a paint question!

I have a set of magnum heads that I picked up cheap from a guy that had already gotten rid of his Duster.

The heads had been already rebuilt, and painted gloss black. They were never installed on an engine since the rebuild... so they are not greasy, oily or anything.

What sort of prep do I need to do so I can re-paint them orange?

Thanks in advance!

i would think scotchbrite would do the trick.. scuff it real good and spray away.. jus make sure everything is spotless before you put them on.

I've never primed an engine and never had a problem. But i would like to follow all of your advise. Do I need to get a high temp primer?? where do I get this stuff??

I have never used the 1200 degree primer just the 500 like the rest of the paint. I know it doesn't work as well as using the urethane but it is cheap and seams to hold up well. I got all the paint at my Shucks. If it stops snowing I will take some pics of the 383 that I painted last year and have spilled lots of stuff on, the areas that it is pealing are where I didn't prime, color, clear coat. The rest of it looks good and if my wiring wasn't so bad looking I would actually open the hood at car shows. The pics are of the 360 for Tara's dart and yes it is purple... The last two are after I primed it but with only a light dusting of color. The 360 in my avatar was painted the same way

DCP_4101.jpg

DCP_4103.jpg

DCP_4096.jpg

DCP_4097.jpg

I used Duplicolor on mine and I loved it. I tried using VHT and didn't like the stuff one bit. Duplicolor went on nice and even and only needed two coats. VHT seemed to be too runny and uneven spraying. I used Hemi Orange.

Here are a couple pics of mine.

MotorH1.jpg

MotorH2.jpg

The only success I've with street hemi orange is to clean the block throughly, paint it with dare I say Chevy orange engine paint and then apply the street hemi orange. I did this on my 440 Dart 5 years ago and haven't had any issues. I think the key is an ultra clean block.

hey everyone I am getting ready to assemble my 318 but i would like to paint the block the same color as the mopar crate motors. My question is what is this color?? race hemi orange or normal hemi orange? thanks

hey i just painted my intake. go to your local car quest and buy a couple cans of hi temp paint. they should sell cans that are labeled Chrysler orange with a orange motor on the front. its really good stuff. be sure to prep it and paint it wuith hi temp primer first. you should be fine

hey i just painted my intake. go to your local car quest and buy a couple cans of hi temp paint. they should sell cans that are labeled Chrysler orange with a orange motor on the front. its really good stuff. be sure to prep it and paint it wuith hi temp primer first. you should be fine
That is the dupi color stuff we have been talking about

-
Back