Which rear end will work???

-

Budgetmoparman

Reaction score
Not an A-body but I need advice... I have a 1967 D200 truck that I want to turn into a street/strip truck. My dreams for the truck are to do a frame swap with a 1/2 ton 2wd frame so I will have independent front suspension, disc brakes, and power steering. I also plan on putting a BB stroker in it. I'm not going to go crazy with the motor, hoping to get around 550-600hp depending on which stroker I decide to go with. I am trying to figure out which rear end I should use. I have a dana 60 in the truck now but it is a full floating truck rear end and I don't want 8 bolt in the rear and 5 bolt in the front. I would like to go with 5 bolt instead of 8 bolt because of wheel options. 5 bolt dana 60 rears are crazy high priced. I have checked on aftermarket complete rear ends and I was hoping to find something a little more budget friendly. Would an 8 3/4 hold up to the power? Is there a different option? Would a 9 1/4 out of a 3rd generation truck hold up? I have looked into converting the full floating dana 60 to semi-floating but I would like to avoid that if possible.

I would do the 60, cut it down get some 35 spline axles, is your 60 a power lok ?

I wouldn't trust an 8-3/4 with that much power and torque. It's not a big job to cut the housing down that's in it and weld on car ends and replace the axles and differential. I bought the tools to do so off E-bay for about $150 and a solid steel bar (turned and polished to within .001") for a little over $100 shipped

-
Back