Which Stroker for 400 and 7-8lbs boost on E85

-

72DMag

Reaction score
Okay so Im building a stoked out 400 block motor. I plan to run a pro charger with 7-8 lbs of boost on e85. I just got the 400 block back from the machine shop and it is bored 35 over.

Iv'e been researching and debating which 440 source stroker kit to get. Link: http://store.440source.com/Stroker-Kits/products/3/

Here's the thing they are all the same price so a part of me wants to go big. :)
The 451 is the most sound option. I don't care for the 512 or the 470 because of the low distance below deck height. The 500 stroker kit sounds nice but I am not sure about the oil support rail and the short piston being a good idea for a low boost setup. Even though the 451 is the most sound it would suck to spend the same amount of money and get less cubic inches.

Just asking for opinions as to which one I should go with for my low boost setup?? Maybe the low deck height isn't a big deal? Maybe the oil support rail and short piston can handle low boost? If the 451 is the best option I will go with that but just wanted other opinions before my money is spent.

Thanks!!

Research some BB Chevy blower motor combinations and then compare them to BB Mopar combinations. A low deck Mopar is taller than a BB Chevy so if it works in a Chevy it will work in a Mopar. I don't think the Chevy guys have any issues running a 4 inch stroke in the shorter 454 block so there shouldn't be any problem in the taller 400 block.

A couple of questions 1 what is your intended use for your motor, 2 what size of ProCharger do you have, I am just curious and interests

The car is a 72 back halfed duster. I may put it on the street some day but it is mostly a track car. The blower is the 1d1 design procharger. (I believe that's the design model number but its at the shop and I will have to double check that. Its not designed for big block mopar I will need to do some fab work to make it work. Its a local fb marketplace buy.)

Okay going to see what the chevy guys do... Those forums ought to be interesting. :|

sounds like a awesome project, I have just seen stock stroke 383 that were procharged in the nines and was thinking a lot could be accomplished with a properly built stock stroke 400 but your plans Maybe exceeding that.

Call a couple of piston mfgs and ask them what they recommend for your application. Find out how thick of a piston top they want, how far down should the top ring be, how tall should the compression height be and what wall thickness do they want on the piston pin. I don't think you'll have any problem building a 470 or a 500 inch short block with pistons that meet the specs they give you.

-
Back