Which torque converter for 904 and 360 magnum

-

StimsonGarage

Reaction score
hey guys so I’m a little stumped. I have a stock 1996 360 magnum with the correct harmonic balancer and correct flexplate that came with engine. I understand I need a neutral balanced torque convert(with out weight) was hoping somebody could tell me which one I needed maybe even a part number too! It’s going into a 904 as well. Thank you guys

After slightly egging one of the converter bolt holes in the Magnum flex plate the stock neutral balanced converter that is for a 318/904 works perfect.
This also means any standard high stall 318/904 converter will also.

The 5.9 having more hp and torque will cause a little higher than advertised stall.

One would hope he would have mentioned that, but who knows.:D

I appreciate the help so I might be able to shed more light https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUP-27-20 that’s the torque converter I have right now. I noticed on summit it says it’s BALANCED so would this be no go. I was also thinking my 318 la which is the engine I’m removing is internally balanced wouldn’t a balanced tq be an issue. I don’t know why I didn’t do more research before I bought it lol.

I went with a TCI Streetfighter 2600 stall with my Magnum/904 combo.

Looking back at my order history, it lists the part as:
"904-988 Breakaway Torque Converter 72-80"

It has been working great...I hope that helps!

I appreciate the help so I might be able to shed more light Hughes Performance Street Rod Torque Converters 27-20 that’s the torque converter I have right now. I noticed on summit it says it’s BALANCED so would this be no go. I was also thinking my 318 la which is the engine I’m removing is internally balanced wouldn’t a balanced tq be an issue. I don’t know why I didn’t do more research before I bought it lol.

There are two kinds of balanced.
One is a normal assembly balance that usually uses small thin plates of steel welded to the outer perimeter of the converter.
The other is an engine balance weight that it usually about 1/4 inch thick and welded to the engine side of the converter.
Those can be cut off to produce a neutral balanced converter.

If you have a converter for a 318 it is very likely a neutral balanced and can be used with the flex plate of the 5.9 as the 5.9 flex plate has the balancing weights that the engine requires welded to it.

410 getting weak?
After 4 years of drag racing the crap out of it and spirited driving I have an over 20 lb per cylinder increase in compression!!!

I'll probably go with a magnum motor in my 41 Studebaker. I know I can hook a 904 up to it easily. I may try overdrive but I know the 904 would be a no-brainer for me...
But I'm not trying to talk about my car I'm trying to learn on this one...

Last edited:
There are two kinds of balanced.
One is a normal assembly balance that usually uses small thin plates of steel welded to the outer perimeter of the converter.
The other is an engine balance weight that it usually about 1/4 inch thick and welded to the engine side of the converter.
Those can be cut off to produce a neutral balanced converter.

If you have a converter for a 318 it is very likely a neutral balanced and can be used with the flex plate of the 5.9 as the 5.9 flex plate has the balancing weights that the engine requires welded to it.

Ok cool thank you so much. I see no weights on the Hughes converter I own so I’m assuming it is neutral even though summit says balanced.

I am using a Coan 8 inch 5600 stall converter in the 904 that I have hooked up to my magnum 360 engine,

-
Back