which torque converter is compatible with Magnum crate engine?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Thanks again to all of you who have been so generous with information...I feel like I'm learning but the frustrations are plentiful. :)

So I brought home a lightly used Magnum 5.9 Crate motor which came with the flex plate (thank you, Dave).

I'm planning on bolting it up to the A904 that was behind the original 318...
...so I understand that I need a weighted torque converter...is that right?

Can anyone confirm...and if so, reccomend a decent one?

Secondly, will it bolt right up to the flex plate or will this require modifications?

Again, thanks a million, guys!! :prayer:

This is a very helpful site put together by FABO member LXguy.
Details on the converter are in this link;
http://www.magnumswap.com/automatic-transmission-details/

Thanks, subcom!

So it looks like since I have the flex plate, I'll need a neutral balanced torque converter...ok.

The link also says that I'll have to enlarge one of the holes in the flex plate...I presume that this won't be enough to throw off the balance significantly?? I guess I don't know the level of precision that we're worried about here.

Any brand/model that you guys tend to prefer for the A904?

The modifications to that one bolt hole are pretty innocuous. I wouldn't worry about unbalancing anything. The mod may not even be required.

Depending on the intended purpose of your car, you could go a hundred different directions with the converter. If you intend to just keep the engine stock or mostly stock and aren't looking to race it then a stock converter should do the job.

Don't be sorry after taking a shortcut to where you didn't want to go. Get a flexplate for a magnum. They are balance differently than an LA motor. My friend put an LA flexplate behind a magnum and it took a while to fix the vibration with a magnum flexplate. LOL

Don't be sorry after taking a shortcut to where you didn't want to go. Get a flexplate for a magnum. They are balance differently than an LA motor. My friend put an LA flexplate behind a magnum and it took a while to fix the vibration with a magnum flexplate. LOL

Nobody makes a 5.9 Magnum to 904 flexplate any more. Unless you're lucky enough to find a used one, you only have two options. The first is the use the stock Magnum flexplate like mentioned above, or buy a converter designed for the conversion. To my knowledge, SMR Transmissions up in Canada are the only ones who offer a torque converter designed to use a Magnum flexplate with a 904 trans.

I replaced a 340 with a 360 hp magnum in a 71 duster 4spd. car. I used the 340 flywheel from the forged crank 340 . Internally balanced . No vibration.

-
Back