Which Two-Barrel to Use?

-

Plymouth_Ruster

"I'm a profeshunel"
Reaction score
I'm going to start rebuilding the 225 slant 6 in my 1975 Duster in a week or so, and wanted to know which two-barrel carb would be best. Tried looking on Summit Racing but all it's coming up with is remanufactured UREMCO crap. Needs to have electric (automatic, whatever) choke.

I've used a Holley 3200 for a while while my 4bbl is down with a worn throttle shaft. I may just be biased to Holley because it's what I learned as a kid though.

I like the Holley 2300 series. The 350 and 500 CFM. Great carburetors.

On a slant the 300 may be okay with stock heads. On my 318 it has trouble sucking air after about 4k rpm.

The 2300 is just half an 1850 600 4bbl. All the tricks still work. The 350 would be a great size, actually a little big as the 225 will never pull 350cfm. It may pull about 270 on a great day with some head work.

2300 wont bolt on, youll need a TRD-2086 (big holley to stromburg IIRC) adapter
trd-2086_an_xl.jpg

The 350 would be a great size, actually a little big as the 225 will never pull 350cfm. It may pull about 270 on a great day with some head work.

I just looked at my notes from the hotrod.com article from 5-18-2017 where they dynoed a slant six. Stock hp was 130.2. First step up was swapping on a Carter 2 barrel BBD rated at 260 CFM. HP jumped to 151! That's an increase of 21 and no other change after that netted as much of an increase.
Next change was Dutra duals with an increase of only 11 hp.
Eventually they went to an Aussie Speed intake and a Holley 390 for 177 hp before they broke. IIRC they blew a head gasket.

I just looked at my notes from the hotrod.com article from 5-18-2017 where they dynoed a slant six. Stock hp was 130.2. First step up was swapping on a Carter 2 barrel BBD rated at 260 CFM. HP jumped to 151! That's an increase of 21 and no other change after that netted as much of an increase.
Next change was Dutra duals with an increase of only 11 hp.
Eventually they went to an Aussie Speed intake and a Holley 390 for 177 hp before they broke. IIRC they blew a head gasket.

Yeah. They were also using the aluminum block, I think. The only issue is my Duster has the electric choke, and having never done this before, I have no idea if I can just stick the lever on the electric/mechanical choke on the 2300 and have it work. I'm thinking of going for an Aussiespeed intake manifold as the stock manifold only supports the factory Holley 1920.

Back in the day it was common to use a manual choke. (Looks like a heater control cable) I did that when I put an Eddy intake on my 273-4 back in the last century.
Aussie Speed is big bucks even without the carb. You could convert to a factory 2 barrel setup for maybe $300 AND have a choke.

Back in the day it was common to use a manual choke. (Looks like a heater control cable) I did that when I put an Eddy intake on my 273-4 back in the last century.
Aussie Speed is big bucks even without the carb. You could convert to a factory 2 barrel setup for maybe $300 AND have a choke.

Yeah. Found a factory 2-barrel intake for $175 on eBay. Likely still going to go with Aussiespeed for the exhast (I want it to be two pipes instead of that stupid log manifold) But that's somewhere down the road. My dad managed to find a site that sells Purple Cams for the 225 (I couldn't find them anywhere) so that's the next purchase.

-
Back