Which X ram, aluminum, magnesium, or the Mopar ???

SUPER STOCK HEMI Barracuda and Dart forum

1. 604B1duster

604B1duster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:28 AM
    What cross ram are you using on your hemi motors and why ? I have most parts for 572 hemi including Eddie heads, intake & 800 thunder carbs, with new chrome dome.
    I’m now leaning towards a 68 dart or Bcuda with a cross ram and was wondering what Xram everyone is using and why ?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. STR-14

STR-14 I put the hoar in hoarder

Local Time:
    My Barracuda has a stock Mopar X-Ram because I found a deal on a complete set of Holley's with linkage,filters, lines, etc. As an FYI, that set up weighs 82 pounds

upload_2019-2-16_22-2-59.png

My Dart has a Mopar bottom with a FHO CNC top. No real choice involved, it came with the car.
    For Hemis Only | Hemi Engine Builders

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • STR-14

STR-14 I put the hoar in hoarder

Local Time:
      IMG_0106.JPG

• Like Like x 2
      • famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        1:28 AM
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Hemisurfer

Hemisurfer Member

Local Time:
          2:28 AM
          I have a magnesium 1965 crossram in my 68 Dart. From what I have read the magnesium’s are more plentiful than aluminum. The intakes with the bolt on tops are supposed to be good for 20 more hp. I like the vintage look of the originals Just depends on what you are going for

• 604B1duster

604B1duster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I like the vintage look also
          Are you talking about the Mopar Performance intake being worth 20 more HP or like a Barton intake ? Have a pic of yours ?

• Hemisurfer

Hemisurfer Member

Local Time:
          2:28 AM
          From what I have read and I didn’t get into it much the removable tops allow for internal flow mods and they overall flow better due to the casting process, ultimately being worth 20 hp. But having a 1965 magnesium cross ram is way cool imo.

As you can see the top is cast and not removable there is a part number and two freeze plugs around the base of the carbs that indicate this is a mag 65 manifold. You can also get a repro from Mancini I think it’s made by A&A Transmissions.

Comparing the pics looks to me like the bolt on tops also sit higher so maybe just the design difference accounts for the hp increase. Right now having enough HP isn’t a big concern for me.

My intake weighs 25 lbs without the carbs according to A&A so you are saving some weight over the front wheels. Also the 65 -64 Aluminum and Magnesium intakes were both used on the 68 Hemi Darts and Barracudas. So from a clone perspective either is correct....

FYI I just got the car so nothing you see is indicative of my work except the addition of the race venturis. A3A4A791-2BC7-4F2A-B92D-8CFA25D8610F.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
          • Like Like x 2
          • DART505

DART505 Lifetime Gear Head! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            1:28 AM
            I read the bolt on tops Mopar Performance have more material so are 30 lbs heavier than aluminum origionals and heat soak issues. I notise after 20 mile street drive and 30 to 45 minute park cranks way longer than usual. I also always ran inline 2x4 dominators with no wide open delay when the throttle was released. The crossram has a seat pucker delay when you need it the least,taking both lanes sideways 1st gear!
            I would trade my complete setup with the correct OE 770 s Holley carbs for sheetmetal short runner 2x4 removable top manifold and carbs linkage setup.

vuoXkY7X-668783526.jpg

2wg9OxXK-668781812.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.