Which Year Hemi To Pick For My Swap?

-

Mason Coughlin

Reaction score
Hi gang. I haven't been very active in the past few months. My LS Swap in my 70' Swinger was put on hold, and now that I'm revisiting it, I've decided that the smarter choice is to run a Gen 3 Hemi. Our local Pick N Pull has several trucks with 5.7's available to choose from, so I need help decifiering what the best year to get would be. I have read through a bunch of articles and understand the differences with the new coil packs on the 06+, the VVT Eagle motors, and such, but I guess I need more specific help.

Ideally I guess what I would like to do is get an 03-08 engine, toss Eagle heads on it, change the cam, and run a 545RFE transmission. I've been talking back and forth with Blake from DIYHEMI about the wiring and such. Having done several LS Swaps and owning HP Tuners, I would prefer to use the OEM Ram PCM and modify the wiring harness. The 09+ harness information does not appear to be available online, at least not from anywhere that I have found which makes me cautious to use an 09+.

Also, with HP Tuners, I am limited to 2004+ vehicles because the 2003 cannot be accessed. I guess ideally a 2007+ would be the best option because I cannot access the transmission files on anything older than a 2007, and from what I've read about the 545RFE, it sounds like some of the biggest issues with it have to deal with it's computer tuning and not so much it's hard parts. And since it appears to adapt to changes like mechanically adjusting the line pressure, it pretty much limits me to just making transmission mapping changes through the PCM.

Now let's get down to my options:

One of the trucks is a 2004 Ram. Appears just to be rusted out, but there's no physical damage to the truck which makes me cautious. It's a 2wd automatic with the 545RFE transmission which sounds like a good candidate, but again, I can't tune the transmission on the 2004.

There is a 2009 Chrysler Aspen with the VVT 5.7. unfortunately it's 4wd, so I would be just taking the engine and not the transmission from this one, as well as my harness concerns I expressed earlier in the post. This also doesn't appear to have any major damage and makes me question why it's in the junkyard.

There is a 2006 Durango. This already has the better coil packs and valve covers, but obviously not the better Eagle heads. Again, it's 4wd.

Theres a 2wd 2002 Ram with the 4.7 already removed. Is the 4.7 transmission and the 5.7 transmission the same thing minus tuning differences? This would make my life much easier removing a transmission that is nearly falling out of the truck should I decide to get one of the engines that has a 4wd transmission behind it.

Finally, there is a 2007 Ram with a 4.7. Can I take the PCM from this 2007 and use it to run the 2004 Ram engine to allow me to change the tune in the transmission? Would it need a hard reflash to a 5.7 before I could tune it?

To me, the 2004 engine, transmission and harness seem to be the best bet, then rob the coils and heads from the 2009 Aspen with the Eagle heads and control it all with the 2007 Ram 4.7 PCM. Is this a possible combination? Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:
Also, you may wonder why I'm saying away from the VVT engine. I find it ridiculous to spend $1500-$2000 on a PCM and harness to run an engine that I can sit down and modify the harness and PCM to work for my needs. If this is not possible with the VVT harness then I'm not interested in the engine. Also, the price of camshafts for the VVT engines is through the roof compared to the earlier non VVT engines. I understand the benefits of VVT, but it also causes concern for possible piston to valve (PTV) clearance issues with larger aftermarket camshafts.

One thing I can tell you. The extension housing swap on the 545 is easy peasy. They just unbolt from the back. The two wheel drive housing has the output shaft in it already. It just bolts back on to the trans.

I am watching this as I am considering going down this path for my 68 cuda and am unsure what I should be looking for.

One thing I can tell you. The extension housing swap on the 545 is easy peasy. They just unbolt from the back. The two wheel drive housing has the output shaft in it already. It just bolts back on to the trans.

I watched a video about tearing a 545 down just in case I find out that it's smoked to see if it required special tools to tear apart. You'd think I would have remembered that the entire rear shaft just unbolts and comes out..... Thanks for the reminder! I guess I'm just so used to GM transmissiost where you better find the correct transmission because swapping an output shaft requires a complete transmission overhaul. Thanks again!

Get the 2004 engine and transmission and the 09 pcm. Will they sell you just the 09 heads. Here they will not sell heads off an engine. I have an 04 motor/tranny with 05 pcm I never changed the heads.

Yup, I can buy the heads for like $45 a piece. Even if they need work, it's a bargain.

The 09 PCM won't work because of the different number of teeth in the crankshaft reluctor, not to mention quiet a few of the sensors are different between the two different engines

So I finally got out to the U Pull It yard today and grabbed my Hemi! I bought the 2004 5.7 and the 545RFE transmission. And unfortunately I figured out why it is there in the junkyard... Dropped the valve seat on cylinder #2 intake valve. I found this because I ripped the 04' heads off while I was in the yard and left them with the vehicle and then pulled the heads, valve covers and coil packs off the 2009 Chrysler Aspen that was there and dropped them in my block. So I walked out of there with an engine that needs a bottom end rebuild and Eagle heads, plus the transmission, harness, starter, rear driveshaft so I can use the slip yoke, and the intake with throttle body and injectors for $349! Sounds like a good day shopping, minus the fact that it was 35° and raining most of the day. Here's some pics of the day.

MVIMG_20181124_121150.jpg

Resized_20181124_133021_3475.jpeg

Resized_20181124_133035_1328.jpeg

Found this today at a local LKQ. 06 Daytona charger. Complete. My friend is getting the engine. Was running when wrecked is how we look at it.

42B3C47E-ACB1-4A86-A3E1-B9900DFA9B2F.jpeg

Nice score on that Charger! I never get that lucky!

I made a video comparing some of the differences and similarities of the LS and Hemi's, physically side by side. Hopefully someone will find the information interesting and useful!

I’ve been trying to score some eagle or 6.1 heads for low $$. No luck here. Good find. It looked cold out there pulling that.

-
Back