Which Yoke and leak questions

-

dschem

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1966 Barracuda Formula S with an A-833 trans. I have the small yoke from the 904 transmission with the number 2530892 on the yoke.

So after I restored my car and put the trans back in I had a leak at the rear seal so I replaced the seal 2 different times hoping that would fix it. It still leaked so last week I decided to get a different yoke as that is what most people say that if the yoke has any corrosion it will leak.

So I bought the mopar yoke P5007409. It has 2852236 stamped on the yoke itself. I tried to put that yoke in today. What happened was that the new yoke would not push in far enough to allow me to get the rear u-joint into the housing on the rear axle. It engages the splines just fine but will not go far enough in so I can get the rear u-joint in. This yoke is 7 1/2 inches long and has a shaft that is 5 1/8 inches long

So I looked at the old yoke and it is much longer 9 5/8 inches total with the shaft being about 7 1/8 inches but it has a step down along the shaft of the yoke, the step down area is about 2 3/4 inches, which I assume goes inside a bushing? inside the rear part of the trans. I also noticed that when I put the old yoke in that it pushes against something that feels like it is spring loaded. I need to push against whatever part that is inside the tail shaft to get the u-joint to go into the rear housing. Does this make sense?

Is my only option to try and get another yoke like my original? Or can I cut a step down in the new yoke that I bought?

Wondering what is going on here.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

I read an article at one point in time that early mopar slip yokes had a vent hole in the center plug to let air in and out and a slip on seal on the front side of the yoke and the yoke was packed with grease. Maybe this yoke you have is from one of these early cars. The repair for this was to have the hole welded up and allow the transmission fluid to lube the slip yoke like all modern transmissions do.

Brian

65 only (first year of the slip yoke), and possibly some early '66 cars had an internal seal in the trans to keep the trans fluid out of the slip yoke splines, it ran on the smooth machined inner diameter of the slip yoke. As stated above these cars also had a vent hole in the Welch plug in the center of the yoke directly ahead of the u joint, and grease packed splines. This is fact for automatic cars and likely for standards. It is possible this internal seal was left out of your trans and you are now leaking from the vent hole.

Fixing it would look like disassembling the trans to replace the seal, or sealing the vent hole and allowing the splines to get lubed by trans fluid.

Hello,

Thanks for the info.

The trans did not leak before I took it out when I restored the car.

Also I did not see a hole in the slip yoke, the fluid I am seeing is coming out of the rear seal area in front of where the u-joint attaches to the back of the slip yoke.

Thanks

Dave

I can tell you what to do to fix it, but it's not a widely accepted solution.

First make sure the surface of the yoke doesn't have enough pits in it to leak no matter what. (polish it with crokus cloth if you have to.)
Take the spring out of the inner side of the sealing edge and note where it screws into itself. (thats how it makes a solid circle)
Unscrew it from itself and cut about 1/4 inch of the off the open end of the spring.
Twist it counter clockwise first and let it screw itself back together.
Put it back in the seal, use Mr Gasket brush on sealer (That dark brown stuff) inside the ext housing seal surface area (not on the seal) and put the seal in.
Putting it in the housing instead of on the seals makes it fill imperfections in the tailshaft surface as the seal goes in.

If it isn't leaking out the vent in the yoke (or around the yoke plug itself) and the yoke doesn't have a deep groove this works almost every time.

Basically it just tightens up the lip sealing edge on the yoke.

It's an old trick from the trans business.

Thank you for the advice, I was able to find another yoke like my original so I am going to try that first to see.

Does it make sense that there seems to be a spring loaded feel when I push the yoke into my trans? What is causing that?

Thanks

Dave

Thank you for the advice, I was able to find another yoke like my original so I am going to try that first to see.

Does it make sense that there seems to be a spring loaded feel when I push the yoke into my trans? What is causing that?

Thanks

Dave

Your trans probably has the Oring on the shaft that goes inside the tip of the yoke.
That would cause it to feel spring loaded as the air inside the yoke gets compressed and has nowhere to go. (normal for the Oring seal style)

Hello,

Thanks for that. I am putting in this other yoke I bought and will see if that seals it up. If not then I will try your method.

Dave

-
Back