WHITE ON MY DIP STICK

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I bought a 360 form a guy a few years ago. He got it running for me before i bought it. It sat for about a year. I took the valve cover, heads, intake & oil pan off to check it out. It was very clean & you could see it didnt have much run time on the rebuild. Ok fast forward. I put all new gaskets on. Put it in my car & got it running. I noticed a water leak on the rt rear where the intake meets the head just below the last intake bolt. There was no water in the oil. So i got a new intake gasket kit & put it on. Put water in it & just enough to see it show up in the radiator tank. A few days later i wanted to start it & adjust the carb. Before i did i topped off the radiator with water. I started it & adjust the carb. It was running way to rich. I shut it off & a few minutes later i tried to start it again & no go. It has spark & fuel. Just for heck of it i pulled the dip stick. It looks like i dipped it in an off colored milk. Any ideas ? I hope its not a cracked head. I cant imagine it because it sat apart for awhile & this past winter it sat in the car with no water oil. Bad head gasket ? Another bad intake gasket ?

Milky oil is water in the oil.

No real way to tell from where.

Front covers can corrode and leak water into the oil.

Along with half a dozen other places.

Milky oil is water in the oil.

No real way to tell from where.

Front covers can corrode and leak water into the oil.

Along with half a dozen other places.
The all new gaskets have been on about 2 months.

water in the oil. Could be from very short start ups/shutdowns and the engine never really heats up. Could be from a leaky gasket. Could be from a crack. But it is water in the oil

Pictures?

CUDA WHITE OIL ON DIP STICK 001.JPG
cant smell any anti freeze i have just water in it if i smell anything its gas but very very slight

CUDA WHITE OIL ON DIP STICK 002.JPG

CUDA WHITE OIL ON DIP STICK 003.JPG

The flash is washing it out, but it looks like a lot more than just condensation. You sure you got that intake leak fixed good?

The flash is washing it out, but it looks like a lot more than just condensation. You sure you got that intake leak fixed good?
yea never gave that a thought sorry Well it isnt leaking on the outside like before. Its been a while since i worked on a small block lol Your making me think lol

yea never gave that a thought sorry Well it isnt leaking on the outside like before. Its been a while since i worked on a small block lol Your making me think lol
Did you use RTV around the intake water ports? They are prone to leak if you don't. I always put a layer on both sides of the gaskets around the end water ports.

Can't believe Karl, @krazykuda, hasn't responded to this thread title yet...:lol:

I didn't see that you changed the oil after the the new gaskets. Maybe residual moisture from the first leak?

You have either a warped intake manifold, locating pins on the china wall misaligned or a bad head gasket. Pressure test the cooling system to help locate.

yea sorry i di
Can't believe Karl, @krazykuda, hasn't responded to this thread title yet...:lol:

I didn't see that you changed the oil after the the new gaskets. Maybe residual moisture from the first leak?
sorry i didnt mention it but yes i changed the oil & filter

Did you use RTV around the intake water ports? They are prone to leak if you don't. I always put a layer on both sides of the gaskets around the end water ports.
i did on the head side let me ask you this im using the stock intake gaskets should i be using ones for an aluminum intake ?

i did on the head side let me ask you this im using the stock intake gaskets should i be using ones for an aluminum intake ?
The stock ones are fine, but I always coat both sides. Now I'm only guessin since this is the internet. It could be something else, but I'm hopin for a best case scenario, you know?

Not sure of the type of stock gaskets you used, but these have never let me down, even on brands other than Mopar...

DODGE Fel-Pro 1213S3 Fel-Pro Performance Intake Manifold Gasket Sets | Summit Racing

The stock ones are fine, but I always coat both sides. Now I'm only guessin since this is the internet. It could be something else, but I'm hopin for a best case scenario, you know?

I like to use the intake gaskets like OldmanRick posted... I coat both sides with gaskacinch and let it get tacky before installing the intake...

From the sounds of it, the leak wasn't in the oil before you changed the intake gasket... I would focus on the intake gasket since it didn't seal the first time and may be the cause of the water leak now...

Did you torque the intake bolts properly??? 30 ft*lbs....

I would pull the intake manifold again and look for witness marks on the intake, gaskets, and heads to see if you can find a leak path... Trace it from there...

If that checks out ok, then get one of those bevel angle checkers and verify the angle from the flat part of the block to the heads is the same as the matching angle on the intake manifold... THen get a straight edge and make sure the heads and intake are straight and no low spots...

Also try to fit the intake on without the gaskets and make sure it sits flush and make sure that the pins for the cork gaskets on the front and back are not interfering with the intake manifold and not letting it seat... I've seen where the locating pins for the cork gaskets do not have clearance holes in the intake and I mark and drill clearance holes for them...

While you got the intake off, check for water in the lifter galley and see if you can trace where it's coming from...

Then I would install the intake again using silicone or gaskacinch on both sides of all of the ports including the air passages and water passages... Torque the intake bolts to 30 ft*lb starting from the center outward...

Always inspect the gaskets and parts when you disassemble an engine to look for witness marks for any leaks or non-sealing areas before cleaning them up... Take pictures for future reference also JIC...

yea you & me both thanks if i have to put on new head & intake gaskets then so be it now the intake isnt the one that came with it The one that came with it was a holley intake. I sold that one & bought
Not sure of the type of stock gaskets you used, but these have never let me down, even on brands other than Mopar...

DODGE Fel-Pro 1213S3 Fel-Pro Performance Intake Manifold Gasket Sets | Summit Racing
yep those are the same ones i got at napa
I like to use the intake gaskets like OldmanRick posted... I coat both sides with gaskacinch and let it get tacky before installing the intake...

From the sounds of it, the leak wasn't in the oil before you changed the intake gasket... I would focus on the intake gasket since it didn't seal the first time and may be the cause of the water leak now...

Did you torque the intake bolts properly??? 30 ft*lbs....

I would pull the intake manifold again and look for witness marks on the intake, gaskets, and heads to see if you can find a leak path... Trace it from there...

If that checks out ok, then get one of those bevel angle checkers and verify the angle from the flat part of the block to the heads is the same as the matching angle on the intake manifold... THen get a straight edge and make sure the heads and intake are straight and no low spots...

Also try to fit the intake on without the gaskets and make sure it sits flush and make sure that the pins for the cork gaskets on the front and back are not interfering with the intake manifold and not letting it seat... I've seen where the locating pins for the cork gaskets do not have clearance holes in the intake and I mark and drill clearance holes for them...

While you got the intake off, check for water in the lifter galley and see if you can trace where it's coming from...

Then I would install the intake again using silicone or gaskacinch on both sides of all of the ports including the air passages and water passages... Torque the intake bolts to 30 ft*lb starting from the center outward...

Always inspect the gaskets and parts when you disassemble an engine to look for witness marks for any leaks or non-sealing areas before cleaning them up... Take pictures for future reference also JIC...
yep going to take it apart this sunday ill let you know what i find if any thing thanks

He said he replaced "all" gaskets. Did that include the head gaskets as well. ? Just an aside isn't that carb a little overkill for a stock engine ?
Check the spark plugs to see which cylinders were leaking.

its an 800 cfm carb 360 397 ci yes all gaskets oil pan, head, intake, valve covers, timing chain cover, water pump plugs look good i never ran the Lucas zinc additive

Ok i took the intake off today. Sorry i cleaned up the valve train area befor i thought about pictures. It did have some white stuff in it. I pulled some of the plugs & they were dry. A little black because of running rich. I took a straight edge to the intake & heads & they look good. What i did find is the whole in the back of the intake for the alignment pin had an old pin broken off in it. With that being said i would think that i found the problem. With that being in there the intake wouldnt be able to seat down on to the head. What is your guys thoughts ? Here are some pictures. I am hoping that is the problem because i dont want to buy more oil, gaskets & put it together then it not be whats going on.

CUDA WATER IN OIL 001.JPG

CUDA WATER IN OIL 002.JPG

CUDA WATER IN OIL 003.JPG

CUDA WATER IN OIL 004.JPG

CUDA WATER IN OIL 005.JPG

CUDA WATER IN OIL 006.JPG

CUDA WATER IN OIL 007.JPG

CUDA WATER IN OIL 008.JPG

CUDA WATER IN OIL 009.JPG

CUDA WATER IN OIL 010.JPG

Just cleaned every thing up. Took that alignment pin out, put new gaskets on. I made sure that its all sealed up. Changed the oil. I took all the plugs out & cleaned them. Turned it over & every thing seams good. Checked & made sure its getting spark to the plugs & number is where its suppose to be on the distributor. Tried starting it a few times but will not fire. Its getting plenty of fuel & ive tried a little starting fluid. At one time it sounded like it wanted to but no go. It doesnt seem to matter where or how much i turn the distributor. LMAO

-
Back