Who do you use for custom torque converter?

-

txbullets

Reaction score
I have a local company called Circle D that has a good reputation but before I place an order wanted to see if there are any better suggestions. I am looking for a new converter for a street/mild strip.

Car details
72 dart
408 stroker
Howars big mama rattler cam (288/296)
X heads
rpm air gap intake
tti headers
Have not decided on carb but probably 750 in some shape or form
8 3/4 reared with 3.73 gears running 255 60 tires on a 15x8 rim

I figure I need a 3200-3400 stall and have read enough to convince me from buying an off the shelf converter. Looking for revomedations on who to go with.

I'm running a 3000 rpm stall, Precision of New Hampton lock-up converter in mine. Gave them my specs, and they nailed it.

Injected 408" stroker with a hyd-roller cam in an a-body turning a 4 speed overdrive auto, 3.91 gears and 265-60/15's.

Ask for Milt. He's one of their techs. Great service and great company to do business with.

Give Lenny at Ultimate a call he'll build you EXACTLY what you need,and it'll do EXACTLY what he says...the "best" out there..:D:D

I'll be calling Kris at Continental Converters next week to build one for my 408. All of the names above have good reputations, but my transmission guy, member VOETOM knows Kris and I hope he's gonna take care of me.

When the time comes I will more then likely be calling dynamic. I have heard a lot of good stuff about them on this forum over the years. I'm not sure of the price yet but I plan on saving up a lot to do the converter and other trans work this winter.

TCS Canada here. 3K stall, and it works very nice with my 408 and 3.55s and 275/50s.

Here are my favorites: A&A trans.com: ask for Rick Allison. He makes them and supplies them to tranny builders. tsrracing.com: ask for Chris or Craig Munroe. their father wrote the book on 727's. Bullet proof stuff

I have just went through this bs with custom made torque converters.If there is a company
that builds a torque converter that has a way to test the converter to give you the correct stall you want buy it if it costs you 300 dollars more.Because 9 times out of ten they will not get it right and you on your on time will be taking it out and sending it back to redo it which will cost you more money.

Just called dynamic. Price was right so I ordered one. Seemed great to work with. Conerter will flash at 3800 but drive like a 3200. Price seemed very reasonable to me.

I have just went through this bs with custom made torque converters.If there is a company
that builds a torque converter that has a way to test the converter to give you the correct stall you want buy it if it costs you 300 dollars more.Because 9 times out of ten they will not get it right and you on your on time will be taking it out and sending it back to redo it which will cost you more money.

"the correct stall you want"
your cam duration,gears,vehicle weight,tire size,etc will determine the correct converter.

"the correct stall you want"
your cam duration,gears,vehicle weight,tire size,etc will determine the correct converter.

I gave most this to dynamic upfront and what I forgot they asked for and then some. They are running a special right now so after shipping it was still $200 less than a local company I was looking at.

Did you get their 9.5"? You'll be happy with it. They built the 8" converter in mine. Flashes right at 5500 just like they said it would. I can drive it around town or punish it at the track. Works great on both. It's an awesome converter. Put a temp gauge on the trans oil b/c people said it was going to create all this extra heat, etc etc. I haven't seen oil temps over 170 degrees yet and I drove it for 45 minutes straight around town this weekend. When I say around town, I mean stop and go for 45 minutes straight. Hard acceleration, light acceleration, didn't matter.

Give Lenny at Ultimate a call he'll build you EXACTLY what you need,and it'll do EXACTLY what he says...the "best" out there..:D:D

we've used Lenny's product for over 20 years dating back to his Dynamic and TCT days. Great customer service.

I've got 2 converters from Martin Saine. One of which I replaced a dynamic with. Great quality. It's not just about quality but building to work for your app is most important. The guy really seems to know what he is doing. I wish I would have taken a pic of the converters. Looks like a show piece. Too bad no one will ever see it.

Yes I got the 9.5"

I had one of these as well. Mine would flash to about 4,000. They told me 3,900-4,100 when they shipped it. It worked very well and was very street friendly and efficient. It's still in the car after well over a decade.

-
Back