Who has 295/50R15s on there duster

-

steve340demon

Reaction score
Ok guys I am getting mixed answers on this... I have 8 3/4 small bolt rear end 72 duster I am ordering set of rally wheels need know what bs I need for 15x8

Thanks

Ok guys I am getting mixed answers on this... I have 8 3/4 small bolt rear end 72 duster I am ordering set of rally wheels need know what bs I need for 15x8

Thanks

Mine are 275/60/15 on 15x8 4.25"bs and 3/8" clearance to the leaf springs. Stock a-body 8-3/4. Espo +1" springs. They rub a little, more as the springs have settled or with passengers, on both sides. I don't see you getting 295's to clear without moving the springs.

I do think that is the case with the 295’s. Springs inboard and a mini tub. I haven’t been there myself. I think I noticed this in the tire combo thread that is rather lengthy.

If you want to fit 295's into the stock wheel wells you'll need the 1/2" spring hanger/shackle offset kit and some trimming of the quarter lips. On a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport or '67-69 Barracuda you don't need the full on 3" spring relocation and mini-tub for 295's.

If your car is jacked up in the back 70's street freak style, you can hang them outside the quarters. Of course, if you have enough suspension travel to put the tire and the quarter in the same place at the same time they'll rub, so, those quarters better be at least 3" or 4" above the tires. Like I said, 70's street freak style. Neat for looks, terrible for actual function.

I have 295's on my Duster, 1/2" spring offset and about another 1/2" trimmed off the inside of the quarter lips to make it work and it's still pretty tight on my lowered car, but it does work.

72 Duster, small bolt Abody 8.75, 295/50-15, 002/003 SS springs. Centerlines with 3.5” bs. Outside of sidewall was dead even with OUTSIDE of wheel opening. Never rubbed due to the height and stiff springs. Had at least an inch to the springs so a 4.5” bs would have been better and probably would have “tucked” the tires.

90F8A075-D935-45C6-A155-804683A250ED.jpeg

72 Duster, small bolt Abody 8.75, 295/50-15, 002/003 SS springs. Centerlines with 3.5” bs. Outside of sidewall was dead even with OUTSIDE of wheel opening. Never rubbed due to the height and stiff springs. Had at least an inch to the springs so a 4.5” bs would have been better and probably would have “tucked” the tires.

View attachment 1715247764

Yeah those don't fit at all, that's all just ride height and spring stiffness.

Inside edge of the quarter lip to the inside wall of the wheel tub is about 13" on a Duster, that doesn't account for the leaf spring. A 295/50/15 has a section width of 12.2". You need a minimum of a 1/2" of clearance to the quarters and springs with that much sidewall to keep from rubbing, so, that means you need about 13.2" worth of space. So that means cutting the quarter lips back, and that still hasn't taken the leaf springs into account. With them in the stock location the springs will interfere with the tires before the inner wall of the wheel tub by a little more than a 1/2", which is where the spring offset comes in.

So, no, you can't "tuck" a set of 295's with the springs in the stock location. You have to use a 1/2" spring offset, AND you still have to trim back the quarter lip. The quarter lip is about 1" wide on most cars, I cut mine back all the way to the spot welds between the wheel tub and the quarter lip and that bought a little less than a 1/2" more space.

Mine are 295/35/18's, but if anything those are easier because there's less sidewall flex to worry about so the clearances can actually be a little tighter than with a set of 295/50/15's.

img_4756-jpg.jpg

295's on the right. You can see the minimal clearance to the springs (which are offset a 1/2"), and you can see the quarter lip trim needed too. It's tight.

tireb-a_zps4efb0119-jpg.jpg

Yeah those don't fit at all, that's all just ride height and spring stiffness.

Inside edge of the quarter lip to the inside wall of the wheel tub is about 13" on a Duster, that doesn't account for the leaf spring. A 295/50/15 has a section width of 12.2". You need a minimum of a 1/2" of clearance to the quarters and springs with that much sidewall to keep from rubbing, so, that means you need about 13.2" worth of space. So that means cutting the quarter lips back, and that still hasn't taken the leaf springs into account. With them in the stock location the springs will interfere with the tires before the inner wall of the wheel tub by a little more than a 1/2", which is where the spring offset comes in.

So, no, you can't "tuck" a set of 295's with the springs in the stock location. You have to use a 1/2" spring offset, AND you still have to trim back the quarter lip. The quarter lip is about 1" wide on most cars, I cut mine back all the way to the spot welds between the wheel tub and the quarter lip and that bought a little less than a 1/2" more space.

Mine are 295/35/18's, but if anything those are easier because there's less sidewall flex to worry about so the clearances can actually be a little tighter than with a set of 295/50/15's.

View attachment 1715247876
295's on the right. You can see the minimal clearance to the springs (which are offset a 1/2"), and you can see the quarter lip trim needed too. It's tight.

View attachment 1715247877

I pretty much agree with most all of this , I have 295 65 15`s on a 68 barracuda fastback/ rolled outer fender lips, stretched to inner fender panel (front wheel opening), offset spring hangars, full caltrac system, 1" narrower dana 60 w/ disc brakes. 3 1/2" back space is perfect. Yours "in my opinion" would be 4 1/2" back space.
Spun the 295`s so bad the car qualifies for a dog!

I pretty much agree with most all of this , I have 295 65 15`s on a 68 barracuda fastback/ rolled outer fender lips, stretched to inner fender panel (front wheel opening), offset spring hangars, full caltrac system, 1" narrower dana 60 w/ disc brakes. 3 1/2" back space is perfect. Yours "in my opinion" would be 4 1/2" back space.
Spun the 295`s so bad the car qualifies for a dog!
295s were on car 15x8 4.25 bs when I got it home and springs are in stock location there’s 1/4 inch space behind tire and by rights the wheel lip needs to be trimmed but I am goin to order 15x8 4.75 bs and relocate springs in so I can elimate trimming quarter lip... I am trying to get 15x8 rally on there and the trim ring sitting on rim wit no gap between ring and wheel

-
Back