Who has done a magnum swap into a 67-69 Dart?

-

67CudaBob

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a magnum swap into my 67 Dart GT ragtop, but am curious what intake, carb, and air cleaner people have used as it appears that hood clearance is an issue with some of the more popular RPM intakes. It will be a mild street car, so I am leaning towards a dual plane intake. I do have an LD4B available that I believe I can make work depending on which heads I use, but I have also read that the LD4B is not a great match for lining up on the 360 ports without a hell of a lot of port work. I appreciate any input.

RPM air gap, both Magnum and LA style, are the tallest small block dual plane intake I know of and they fit that body with any Edelbrock or Holley style carb with a regular 4150 square bore, but often requires the use of a drop base for air cleaner.
Since you're asking for carb options I assume you are keeping the mechanical fuel pump. If so, you can run an LA timing cover and water pump and go with the Chinese made air gap copy manifold with dual mounting bolt pattern. This lines up the bypass hose the best.
If you plan to run an electric fuel pump anyway, keep the Magnum front timing cover and water pump, along with the alternator and bracket, so you can run the serpentine belt, and then the Edelbrock Magnum air gap lines up the bypass hose the best.
If you plan to run Engine Quest or Indy/RHS heads with LA intake bolt pattern, the LA timing cover and water pump line up best with Edelbrock LA air gap or Chinese copy best.
Mixing up these combinations can be done as many have proven, but then you have to figure out what adapter fittings to use to get the bypass hose to line up decent without kinking.
PC MOPAR Plymouth 340 360 Magnum Air Gap Dual Plane Aluminum Intake Manifold | eBay

RPM air gap, both Magnum and LA style, are the tallest small block dual plane intake I know of and they fit that body with any Edelbrock or Holley style carb with a regular 4150 square bore, but often requires the use of a drop base for air cleaner.
Since you're asking for carb options I assume you are keeping the mechanical fuel pump. If so, you can run an LA timing cover and water pump and go with the Chinese made air gap copy manifold with dual mounting bolt pattern. This lines up the bypass hose the best.
If you plan to run an electric fuel pump anyway, keep the Magnum front timing cover and water pump, along with the alternator and bracket, so you can run the serpentine belt, and then the Edelbrock Magnum air gap lines up the bypass hose the best.
If you plan to run Engine Quest or Indy/RHS heads with LA intake bolt pattern, the LA timing cover and water pump line up best with Edelbrock LA air gap or Chinese copy best.
Mixing up these combinations can be done as many have proven, but then you have to figure out what adapter fittings to use to get the bypass hose to line up decent without kinking.
PC MOPAR Plymouth 340 360 Magnum Air Gap Dual Plane Aluminum Intake Manifold | eBay

Awesome info - thank you for being my learning curve! Another post coming about heads shortly!

Bobzilla may not have been clear enough..........YOU CAN NOT run an LA intake on a magnum engine, unless you drill/ have drilled the head bolt pattern for an LA intake. You can buy heads such as enginequest (EQ) in either LA or Magnum intake pattern.

LA heads, the intake bolts are perpendicular to the manifold -to- head surface

Magnum heads, the intake bolts are perpendicular to "ground level" in other words straight up and down.

This is a Magnum with the LA front accessories and EQ heads drilled for the LA style intakes. (you can order the heads either way) CH318B is La drilled intake bolts and CH318A are drilled for Magnum intakes.
Both LA and Magnum valve covers also fit the EQ heads.
Everything including all the pulleys outside the block is from my old 318 except for the harmonic balancer.

MagnumswapLA.jpg

This is a Magnum with the LA front accessories and EQ heads drilled for the LA style intakes. (you can order the heads either way) CH318B is La drilled intake bolts and CH318A are drilled for Magnum intakes.
Both LA and Magnum valve covers also fit the EQ heads.
Everything including all the pulleys outside the block is from my old 318 except for the harmonic balancer.

View attachment 1715169526

Any clearance issues with your hood? on your setup? Also, are you running headers or manifolds? (I have heard manifolds can have seating issues with the EQ heads)

Any clearance issues with your hood? on your setup? Also, are you running headers or manifolds? (I have heard manifolds can have seating issues with the EQ heads)

No clearance issue's at all with the motor or accessories.
I run headers but the EQ's are direct replacement Magnum heads, which means the factory Magnum manifolds fit like they did on the OEM heads.
I was running these same headers on my 318 in anticipation of the bigger motor and used Remflex gaskets with not one problem in fitment or seal since.
There was a bit of a clearance issue with the headers going around 1.03 torsion bars, but that was resolved with an appropriate reshaping shall we say of the header tube.:D

-
Back