Who has the highest revving small block?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
...and how do you like it? Was it worth the expense/effort?

How did you build it to handle the stress? Does it sound good?

I never had it (360) above 6800. I love the sound of a screaming engine.
Mufer selection has a big play in sound.
If your planning on a high winder, choose high power handling components. I would suggest over building it. When you talk to your machinist, tell him you want to build for *** HP level which would be at least 100 more than your target.

Forged slugs & crank, premo rods, matching valve train parts recommended by the cam maker.

MY race 360 would see 7000 in first when i was slow to shiftand 6800 in he lights.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 917
I never had it (360) above 6800. I love the sound of a screaming engine.
Mufer selection has a big play in sound.
If your planning on a high winder, choose high power handling components. I would suggest over building it... Forged slugs & crank, premo rods, matching valve train parts recommended by the cam maker.

I love it, 273 4 speed went regularly to 7K, spoiled for life. Most everything in a small block motor will be good to 7K. Make sure your machine work is spot on, good rod bolts and size the big end of the rod most importantly. I prefer forged pistons, good rings, balance the motor, an ignition and valve train good to 7K, talk to your cam company. HV HP oil pump, windage tray. In my opinion, past 7K everything changes and big money comes into play. They sound great and pull strong. Goodyear radials burned through 1st, 2nd, and halfway through 3rd with 4.10 gears in a 64 Barracuda.

71 Dart regularly turns 7200 rpm in Vegas thru the traps...and at Bakersfield last year was cranking 7500 rpm thru the traps..

...and how do you like it? Was it worth the expense/effort?

How did you build it to handle the stress? Does it sound good?

Who has the highest revving small block? Not me...I would rather make my power down lower in the RPM range...engine lasts longer, less expensive valve-train, etc. Why rev it to the moon if you don't have to? I shift between 6200-6500 depending on what ET I want.

Those R5P7 combos run 9000+ RPM, if high RPMs are your thing, that's what I would look into.

I think it was a Mustang called The Pony Express that had a 302 that went to 10K rpm. I know a Cleveland Ford that turns 8400 at the stripe. I like the sound of them winding personally, but I'd never build one for it when you can go as fast for less coin and be easier on parts by going bigger.

used to run a nice street 340 to about 7500rpm,these engines sounds fantastic at those rpms, but as has been written before it makes more sence to build a bigger engine and not need to twist them this high.

I'm the slow one , never over 6,000 rpm , not much point and I sure don't want to push it , not built for high revs . Basically stock build , pistons are a bit lighter than stock , but crank and rods are stock .

I would say a gas turbine has the highest follow by a formula 1 engine 18k easy.
That said what's the point you don't need it to rev to the moon to do the job.

You kin always stick a Mazda rotary in there, LOL

Evidently, "not" Peugot, LOL

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdE3UjWXSaE"]The Boss Celica gets the perfect shot of PunisherGP's Peugeot connecting rod - YouTube[/ame]

Puketup, er I mean, Peugot throws rod at 24 hours of Lemons

Rod cap breaks window of Celica while simultaneously putting on a nice show

Peugot rolls harmlessly to side of track, LOL

Allegedly, the Celica team chastised the Peugot team at trophy time, and the Peugot team responded by "you scratched our rod cap!!!!"

Attachments

• rod1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 661
  • rod3a.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 639
  • rod4.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 667
Old Honda cafe race motorcycles could pull 18000 rpm out of a 2 stroke. Piston speed on a LA exceeds some design standard at 7500 rpm. Just read it somewhere...

trivial fact: there is a youtube video of a guy who spun a magnetic dowl at >1,000,000 rpm. Magnetically levitated, spun in an electric coil and measured by a hall effect sensor. Thats humming.

Old Honda cafe race motorcycles could pull 18000 rpm out of a 2 stroke. Piston speed on a LA exceeds some design standard at 7500 rpm. Just read it somewhere...

trivial fact: there is a youtube video of a guy who spun a magnetic dowl at >1,000,000 rpm. Magnetically levitated, spun in an electric coil and measured by a hall effect sensor. Thats humming.

What no link.

Well you want to count bikes ,my kawaksaki 750 2 stroke will buzz over 7,500 maybe 8,000 pushing it . It was fast in it's day with the Kirker header and better pistons . Sounds insane when it gets over 4,000 . Nothing like a 2 stroke to wake up the neighbours

More than once I have bumped both my "mean teen" and my 360 off a 7400 chip in my rev limiter.

It's not all that hard to pull the rpm, cam , compression, carburetion, will get you there; DURABILITY is another story, THAT is what costs money.

My "mean teen" as I call it, is nothing more than a junk yard 318 with way too much cam, a Comp XTQ281S-6, angle milled 360 heads with 2.02 intakes, and a Holley 750 DP, at 7000 rpm it was a symphony of the finest music, I also thought I heard fuse burning every time I raced it. Raced it hard for a season, it's in the corner of the garage as my spare if I need it.

I remember Suzuki's GSXR 750, the bottom of the tack scale was 3000 rpm, and red line was 12,500; F1 engines idle at 7000rpm and peak at 20-22,000.

Hi revs are just cool. Put together a nice MAC 91B with twin 101 carbs. Don't forget the alcohol.

WE pull our barton built stock stroke 360 to 7600 thru the traps,In the 70's and 80's if u talk to old time mopar racers it was nothing to them to pull them to 8000 all day at the track with no special work,I talked to two this past weekend at kil-kare who shifted at 8000 and sometimes took them to 8500 -I just think we are paranoid these days,I saw a stroked 340 two years ago get pulled to 9000 on a dyno pull,Guy still drives the car hard and winds it up like a clock-STeve

Well you want to count bikes ,my kawaksaki 750 2 stroke will buzz over 7,500 maybe 8,000 pushing it . It was fast in it's day with the Kirker header and better pistons . Sounds insane when it gets over 4,000 . Nothing like a 2 stroke to wake up the neighbours

My old 1985 Kawasaki Muscle bike relines at 10,500 and does it easily. And as you said it was very fast in it's day

Attachments

• 323465_3923384045296_650618390_o.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 562
The last engine I built was a 340 and I matched the cam ,heads and intake to make top HP at 6500 as it is a street engine and it made 495hp and 462 ft. lbs of torque

I have revved it to 7000 a few times which it did easily , but it's just a street engine.

Back in the late 70's I drove a 70 coronet R/T with a 440 six pack and just headers and it hit 6000+ everytime I drove it.

look up the old modified production class those motors regularly wound to 8000 to 10000 rpm I run mine to 7400 rpm

Old drag racing buddy spun his .030 over 283 SBC to a touch over 10k....left the lites with a stick shift at 7k....Very hard on parts.....can remember pulling the trans out many times, filing burrs off of gear sets etc. He put a destroked 400/glide in it and never looked back. First new street bike i owned was a Honda 500 Interceptor. Had a v4 that spun up around 15k. Used to ride it on the freeway just under the rev limiter...would end up with a misfire from the electrode being busted off the plug...Honda told me that was from the rods stretching a bit...Never did blow it up...

i shift my stock bottom end 383 at 6800 and she wants more. I have hit the limiter at 7k IN DRIVE! thats how you know shes still pulling.

-
Back