Who Is In the Market for Early ABodies These Days?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
My first car was a '65 Valiant (four-door) that I purchased circa 1973 for $125.00. I now own a '65 Formula S and a '65 Signet convertible. So I have an interest/connection in the early Abody.

But for someone in 2022 who has no such connection, I wonder what would motivate one to purchase an early Abody? Maybe forum members who recently sold an early A can share with us who the buyer was and what the reason the buyer had in making a recent investment in our dearly beloved Mopars (that, in general, don't really win any popularity contests).

65 Valiant1 copy.jpg

1965 Ply Valiant Signet foto.jpg

barracuda stance.png

While not a recent buyer or seller of an A-body (bought my last one in 2006) there are a few reasons one would look at an early car beyond the obvious, they like the looks better. Generally speaking, early A-bodies are less expensive than '67-72 A-bodies. Some people like different so they gravitate to the "less popular".

A different opinion- recently attended a car show at the local High School. It was a benefit for school programs and we filled the lot with local cars. In the middle of the day the school football finished and a hoard of teenagers came flooding through. They passed every vintage car there and flocked around the two new Mustangs that were there. What does that tell you?

One of the few cars I might consider selling my 68 darts for would be an early A station wagon with a slant 6 and a 4 speed. Now that I have a family and use car seats, I feel like the cool factor is off the charts for how functional it can be. I especially like the really early Valiants.
Also like mentioned above, early A bodies are much more affordable than the later A bodies. If I had to buy my cars at today's prices I would have probably not have gotten them and been on the market for an early A instead.

Back in the early 80's there were still plenty of 68-72 Mopars available. I always liked the older one's, they were much more unique and started the American Muscle Car culture. 65'

A different opinion- recently attended a car show at the local High School. It was a benefit for school programs and we filled the lot with local cars. In the middle of the day the school football finished and a hoard of teenagers came flooding through. They passed every vintage car there and flocked around the two new Mustangs that were there. What does that tell you?
They have bad taste?
I like the different/ unusual.
62 dart,lancer,etc.
I like the looks of my 64 Barracuda, if I had not bought it,a 66 charger,65 shorty van ,a100 or as stated above, 62 dart or lancer,would be my other choices.

Purchased my Early A just over a year ago.

1. Had an emotional attachment going back to my High School days
2. Price-point A slant 6 Early A is generally far more affordable than a larger vehicle or something BB or SB V8
3. Early A's are a seen as being a bit "quirky" or outside of the mainstream and that is interesting to some people....to include going with the crew-cab sedan.

Edit to add: Met a gentleman out in front of the Auto Parts store. 63 Ford Falcon Futura. Mentioned my A-body and we had a great chat.

Last edited:
There are a lot of early A guys around. A large group here and a bunch on a few Bookface sites. We are just as passionate as the other guys but our cars can be more drivable and enjoyable. Note, I said "can be".

There are some early A Bodies I really like, and some that are just OK (to me). Just like some people prefer 65-66 Mustangs over 67-68s. Just like some people prefer 2nd gen Camaros over 67-69 models. That is what makes our hobby so great. I like my 69 Barracuda Fastback better than E Body cars. That probably puts me in the minority, but that is OK. At most car shows, the E bodies get all the love, but I still like my car better. I think my favorite Early A body is the 65 Dart. I have a good friend who owns a 65 Dart GT Convertible with a factory /6 and a 4 on the floor. It is a great looking car, and extremely reliable. As a final note, when I am at a car show, I always make it a point to have a lengthy chat with someone who brought an unusual car (Edsel, AMC Gremlin, Valiant /6 4-door, Ford Fairlane station wagon, etc.). I truly enjoy chatting with them and hearing the story on their car.

There are a lot of early A guys around. A large group here and a bunch on a few Bookface sites. We are just as passionate as the other guys but our cars can be more drivable and enjoyable. Note, I said "can be".
I agree. I've had some early and late A bodies and all the early cars without a doubt handled and drove better. They're neato little cars.

If I had to buy my cars at today's prices I would have probably not have gotten them and been on the market for an early A instead.

I'm not sure I could go out and buy an early A that I would be interested in today. I absolutely could not afford to go out and buy what we already have ('68 GTS convertible and '67 Barracuda convertible).

One of the few cars I might consider selling my 68 darts for would be an early A station wagon with a slant 6 and a 4 speed. Now that I have a family and use car seats, I feel like the cool factor is off the charts for how functional it can be. I especially like the really early Valiants.
Also like mentioned above, early A bodies are much more affordable than the later A bodies. If I had to buy my cars at today's prices I would have probably not have gotten them and been on the market for an early A instead.

would either of these fit your bill? Both slant 6, both 3 on the tree. Both complete, and have been off the road since the early 2000’s

43EAFF22-90AE-4805-BF8C-7328B7405CE0.jpeg

C3E07C06-E03D-4E5F-93A7-203D4DF4A9F6.jpeg

A7C8205D-84B6-4DB6-A33D-6C1BD5D825B4.jpeg

E22C8B08-23B6-40CE-A966-081BD63CB5D0.jpeg

891973BE-B4A2-4F8A-B1E3-BD043783E2A6.jpeg

01116809-56E6-41A1-818A-7DCBF2F532CB.jpeg

I drove the convertible Signet to the cruise last week, for some reason people were all over it. I even came back a while later and a guy I knew was sitting in the drivers seat. First thing he said was…”man, this is a neat little car, I want it”! So, I told him to call me when he’s ready and we will make a deal. If you had to ask me why, it’s because they’re neat little cars.

D611BD1F-6FB3-49C3-8A86-5FCBB621FF1E.png

He built the pink one for his wife, but I doubt she ever drove it. He’s been gone for 5 years himself, and his wife preceded him in death.

Just think if you had a job. You could have another one.
Hey, @RustyRatRod, I'll answer this one for you. Not having a job is what this whole 'Retired' thing is all about. I retired on Jan 3, 2015. I am super busy with my car hobby, helping people with things and my little powder coating business, but it aint a JOB.
:rofl:

There’s a real nice 2 tone ‘66 barracuda for sale on here with plaid interior. I really want it. 4 speed is the big selling point as well.

-
Back