who makes best coil over front suspension

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...you got us

.....as I grin and shake my head. Rusty...you did read the thread, right?

Actually, if you read a lot of the responses it is all about getting the car "in the weeds". I'm not saying that is why you build your front end or why you build cars the way you do, but it IS for many people.

I"ve been reading just about all the threads about HDK, RMS, QA1 K-members. I'm to that point in my build to decide on what to do. I kinda like the idea of more room for the small block. I have a 65 fish and room is tight. I also plan to run Durango manifolds for the exhaust, 15x8's with 4.5 bp. I haven't quite decided on what size tire to run.
I already know what is the aftermarket has. Why should I stay with the stock suspension? Do I go with a standard replacement of bushings, tie rods etc...Or do I go with the poly bushings that squeak as the suspension flexes, large rod ends and all the other items that's out there. I agree the stock mopar suspension that has been around for a long time is good and dependable. For me I have a budget and I can go with anyone type. The car is going to eventually be a daily driver. Opinions?

......great handling does not require coil overs.
Please show me the comment by someone (anyone) saying that torsion
bar cars don't handle or can't be made to handle exceptionaly.

I don't understand all of the comments about the viability of a torsion bar
suspension when that was never questioned here.

I would never want to get rid of an excellent Chrysler torsion bar suspension
for any handling issue. I want to get rid of it BECAUSE IT IS IN THE WAY!

Actually, if you read a lot of the responses it is all about getting the car "in the weeds". I'm not saying that is why you build your front end or why you build cars the way you do, but it IS for many people.

you got a point....right there with Ol'Rusty

The stance of our rides is very much a part building our ultimate hot rod.....but just a part of it. I personally like the tighter steering....along with the extra room and ease of install and maintenance. The ability to lower the stance of the car more than factory could be a primary goal of some, but to most it is just an added benefit.

What my point was.... everyone seems to want the combo meal.

OK...you got us

.....as I grin and shake my head. Rusty...you did read the thread, right?

Sure have. Have you read the One Lap of America site? Would you like links? I think Ehrenberg's best was a 4th place finish. With Vipers, Vettes and some kinda carbon fiber Raptor crap in there too. Stock Mopar K frame. When you can build a butt kickin race car with a stock K frame, I don't see the point of spending 3K.

I want to get rid of it BECAUSE IT IS IN THE WAY!

I covered that when I said the HDK or such would be good for a Hemi swap. Or big block. Even still, it saves no money on headers, because you will still need custom made pieces, or the same off the shelf almost 1K TTIs. Nobody's bashing anything here. We're simply making the point that it's not a necessity to buy an aftermarket K frame to have a great handling car.....or even a race winning car. It's simply not necessary. Last I checked, nobody owns this thread so opinions are free to be made.

While I am sure a lot of people like that look, it's not my cup of tea and there's no way you could drive it on most city streets for any length of time at that ride height. It's simply not practical.

STANCE IS EVERYTHING> Would this car be as BAD AZZ as it is 12in higher? dough it

While I am sure a lot of people like that look, it's not my cup of tea and there's no way you could drive it on most city streets for any length of time at that ride height. It's simply not practical.

I agree, aside from the oversized wheels, the car is a trailer queen and undriveable. It wouldn't make it out of my shop's parking lot.

its on air. air it up 2in and drive it everywhere. trust me I know 1966 f100 full air chassis rides 2in off the ground no float,hop,darting or diving and our roads in Louisiana are crap.

I don't care if it rides on tits. I don't like how the car is. Now if it were a new Challenger, all of that stuff would be more fitting.....but still not my cup of tea.

......it saves no money on headers, because you will still need custom
made pieces, or the same off the shelf almost 1K TTIs.
If I'm not mistaken, virtually any header will fit with an HDK. They use the
TTi's because of the quality; not the fit.

Sure have. Have you read the One Lap of America site? Would you like links? I think Ehrenberg's
best was a 4th place finish. With Vipers, Vettes and some kinda carbon fiber Raptor crap in there
too. Stock Mopar K frame. When you can build a butt kickin race car with a stock K frame, I don't
see the point of spending 3K.

I have read a lot about the Green Brick. Neat car, but don't come in here potraying this thing as a Davey
against Goliath stocker. It's more like a Trojan Horse.

It has a 550 hp EFI small block, a $5000.00 Keisler transmission and an aluminum rear end center section.

It still has a stock K-frame but did it steer good?

Below is Ehrenberg's prep of an A-body (Duster) steering system for a previous One-lap. It doesn't seem
that it is exactly stock. Wonder what this mod cost?

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/steering-chuck.html

Sure have. Have you read the One Lap of America site? Would you like links? I think Ehrenberg's best was a 4th place finish. With Vipers, Vettes and some kinda carbon fiber Raptor crap in there too. Stock Mopar K frame. When you can build a butt kickin race car with a stock K frame, I don't see the point of spending 3K.

I would like some links because I couldn't find anything about it. did they say how much they had in their upgraded factory stuff?

Neat car Mr. Ehrenberg built.

In reading about it elsewhere I saw where he made some significant brake
upgrades as well.

So what was the total cost of his front end modifications?

Sposors of the magazine probably donated the parts and labor where needed. :)

While I am sure a lot of people like that look,
Good thing they do I doubt there would be many Car magazine subscriptions sold, world of wheels attendees, summer cruise in interest if they only had left & right turn G cars. I see were off subject again.

Neat car Mr. Ehrenberg built.

In reading about it elsewhere I saw where he made some significant brake
upgrades as well.

So what was the total cost of his front end modifications?

I talked to him on the phone and built a copy of the brick in my '72. I spent ~$2000 from top to bottom. FF did my K-frame, I used poly bushings all 'round. MP T-bars and springs, and I did shocks and stuff like reinforced LCA's. This included updating to '74 K-frame and and big-car brakes and rotors.

What I didn't do, yet:
torque boxes and frame connectors,
Diet
Battery relocation

The car is on rails. The roads where I love aren't twisty enough to push it. I need to take it to Arkansas.

Ok, so we have a stock K that handles awesome but mods may include:

1. Upgraded (and rare) steering box
2. Big brake upgrade
3. Tubular UCA's
4. Reinforced LCA's
5. MP torsion bars
6. Poly bushings
7. Trick shocks
8. Custom sway bar

Uh.....could I have the check please.

This is great and it's a great car. Just don't try to tell me that the front end
is stock (Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining).

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back