Who Needs a Creeper When One Has This?

-
I use a piece of vinyl that was above ground pool wall. 42 wide, about 20 feet long. Slick enough that I can grab jack stand or most anything and slide myself any which-a-way. If I'm going to use a jack on it, pull a trans, whatever I place a 4X4 sheet of 1/4 inch checker plate on top of the vinyl. Prevents cracking the vinyl.

Well...to begin with....we were kinda poor. I live in a city where the ground is 70 percent clay (black clay). So if you're poor and you have a tiny house with a driveway and it rains (it rains a lot here) then you're gonna get these giant mud holes in the clay. Ever been stuck in clay?? It's slick slippery, goooey glue, if that makes any sense. We'd be out there on the weekends (all of us) pushing on the car to help get it out into the street so we could go to the store or ask a neighbor to get a chain and pull us out into the street. Anyway, the only way my Dad could afford to make the driveway usable was to use the cheapest method......Oyster shells!! You put a thick enough layer of oyster shells into the clay it will form a semi-hard layer to drive on. Remember, this was back in the 50s and 60s. Unfortunately, if you kinda poor, you also can't afford to pay a mechanic to fix your car sooooooooo, we had to do all the mechanic work ourselves, on the oyster shell driveway. I couldn't eat an oyster if you wrapped it in a steak!!!! And yes, from time to time we'd find a piece of cardboard to use as protection but it wouldn't take long for the cardboard to be cut to shreds. treblig
OK, fair enough. All the poor people out here live in seedy apartments with paved carports, and of course the street. Different cultures for sure.

I bought a few foam rubber mats that are supposed to be used as anti fatigue mats, and use them under the car. Bad part is, I have a 4 post lift! It’s always got one of the projects sitting on it though, and it’s too much trouble to move stuff on and off just to change the oil on the daily drivers. I still have my old Craftsman creeper, and still hate it as bad as I ever did....lol.

I have a hoist.
But i cut up an ibc tote,those caged plastic chemical tanks for a cover on an engine in storage.
The one side i saved, about a 3 foot by 3 foot hard plastic sheet. I use it outside and on the cement in the storage building.
handy. If im packing wheel bearings there is no concern about drooping something in the dirt. And it cleans up real nice.

I used some insulation left over from my last project, when it gets ratty I pitched it.....

insulation.jpg

Yeah, sets high, wheels don`t like to swivel, but they tell you it may take awhile for them to loosen up. Pros- large wheels can run over an extension cord.
I may re purpose the wheels on a cart or something.
a mechanic buddy of mine has one and uses it under trucks only = to big for under cars. I tried it and it rolls like glass you may want to check your wheels

Like it for the neck support. I’ll use cardboard because it catches spills then I just toss. Family saves large thick cardboard for me. For neck support I use dollar store pool noodle folded and duct taped. Do like the extra padding OP

I have used a camping mat for years now. It’s covered in grease. I’ll roll it and kneel down. Helps my poor worn out knees. I have a lift too......4 jackstands and 2 jacks and 4 of those crappy ramps that slide out from the car when you get halfway on it.

I have used a camping mat for years now. It’s covered in grease. I’ll roll it and kneel down. Helps my poor worn out knees. I have a lift too......4 jackstands and 2 jacks and 4 of those crappy ramps that slide out from the car when you get halfway on it.
Giant cardboard I get from work, fits under the whole car, strong enough to roll a jack across. Would be nice to have something for the neck....

I bought one of these, a little more padding than the piece of carpet I used for years.

Summit Racing® Pit Mats SUM-G1028
That's the same thing that I got from Jeg's, as I mentioned in post #8.

One thing I found out is that because they're black (the Jeg's) they get REALLY hot when you use them in the summer sun. I have to slide them back under the car (shade) when I get up.
Those red one's would stay cooler.

Has anyone else here fallen asleep on the creeper when wrenching on your cars?

-
Back