who owns/uses a LM_2?

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
Innovate Motorsports LM_2 Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Meter

I have owned it for several years and have tried to use it on and off but just can't get it to work right or work for vary long.

The first problem is i'm running leaded fuel...
The 2nt is that i can install a new o2 sensor and calibrate it just fine. Drive with light throttle and it work just fine(sensor is to close to the end of the header/collector) i run open exhaust.
During light throttle, it's 22+ air/fuel ratio. As i rev it up it start to bounce around 14-15. As soon as i put it in gear and whack the skinny pedal to the floor, it freeze up. Stick at 14.3 and don't move at all. shut it off for a few minutes. start, sensor warms.....then starts reading...full load in gear and it stops reading and show 14.3. After we play this game several times it gets stuck on the warming cycle(99) put a new sensor in, calibrate and the same thing all over again.

Thinks i have done to fix the problem.
installed a HBX-1 Heat sink bung extender (P/N 3728)
Moved sensor above the 9 o'clock position. Ran a new wire from the cigaret lighter socket to its fuse. (only need 3 amps)

sensor is to close to the end of the header/collector) i run open exhaust.
While I have an AEM, I have my sensor mounted in the exhaust pipe about 5" or so from the header collector flange. With a full exhaust (dumped at axle) I have good steady readings. I also have a bung welded on a 12" extension for track use, at the same distance from the header flange. The readings on the gauge are similar to what you're experiencing. Useless. Too close to the end (atmosphere) You need to either run longer extensions, or a full exhaust (at least dumped at the axle) to get a good reading, IMO.​

Last edited:
I have the LM2 and used several times without issue, sounds like maybe you might have a bad meter. I started with a Innovate gauge that never worked, Innovate swapped that by giving me the LM2, bought autometer wideband and didn't go back. You could contact Innovate tech just to see what they say

Mine does the same thing I think it has to do with it having a good ground and 12v source.

It has a good 12V + but i haven't look at the ground in a while. I will be checking that next.
Thanks.

I used mine with the cigarette lighter plug, used in a 71 ranchero and an 05 mustang. I was just looking at mine and thinking about selling LOL

I use an LM1 on my Duster. Works great, never had an issue with it.

The grounding is SUPER important. There's a computer board and sensitive electronics in there, and they need a good ground to function properly. The 12v source also has to be a good one, if I recall correctly it's supposed to be on its own circuit. I would make sure it's well grounded, all the connections are good (as in soldered, no cheap crimp connectors) and that it's getting constant 12v power.

They don't work with open exhaust. The sensor is reading open air during reversion thus giving it fits. I have a AEM and it does the same thing. My buddy's challenger has electric exhaust cut outs and with the exhaust closed the idle reads fine, but as soon as you open the cut outs the reading leans out and goes erratic. Full throttle will read fine though as the reversion goes away at high RPM. Just can't tune idle and part throttle will open headers.

Yeah i get that there is no accuracy at idle.
But when i "fat foot it", going down the road, gauge reading freeze, quits reading. have to shut it off and sometime when i restart it, it starts working again.
Full throttle is what i want to read and it craps out everytime!
I haven't when and checked the possible power and grounds, so i need to do that first.
It just weird that is does that. and it is instant. Pedal to floor, and it stop right then and there. maybe it the launch that is pulling on a wire or something. Got to get out there and make sure everything is right.

But, this is race track work day. got to add some lights to the christmas tree so spectator can see the action. run wire so we can install our, end of track scoreboard. And work on some glitches in our new timing set up.

Race is next week and i'm not ready but neither is the track.

Sounds like a wire connection is being pulled when the motor torques over. Maybe give the wires some slack.

It's most likely the controller or the gauge.
I've had an MTX-L that started doing this after some time. Worked for a couple of minutes then would crap out.
Tried rewiring it a number of times, no change. Changing O2-sensors altered the readings somewhat, but gauge still started showing error-codes after a while.
If it worked, the readings were all over the place too. Didn't even bother to look at it anymore one point.

Then one day I remembered I still had an MSD AFR-gauge (which is based on the same Innovate basics). Installed it and readings were back to normal and stable as it should be.

Ok so i added a ground wire to my cigarette lighter socket,(the one in the ashtray)
removed the ground that i had chose to attach at the steering column. tied that to the one i now have coming from the sigarette light and attached it to the negative side of my battery. all connectors crimp soldered and heat shrinked.

o2 working but, got to late to take it for a burn, will test it out tomorrow.
Finger crossed.

Leaded fuel? Isn't that a no-no with an O2?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBFskEbk_vRqU1Vnu4djRCmVYLrcd2rd_T5q07IvEKxzpWuXzL.jpg

Or is that silicone.........?

Leaded gas ain't helping, but I had similar problems with my mtxl. They had me install a capacitor between power and beyond to stabilize the power feed.

And I haven't run it in years

So when i full throttle it, it don't freeze up now. So the ground change must of helped. how ever i can't get my laptop to communicate with it so i can't record. and it's tough to shift and try and hole the LM-2.
my carb is breaking up on top end now and my o2 reads 14.1 when its breaking up. 14.1 is lean for full throttle but not so lean it should be popping and banging...................

Keep in mind the 14.1 is an average of the 4 cylinders in the collector. There might be a lean cylinder fighting you. Try dropping the HS air bleeds down about 4 sizes, should help richen the high RPM range.

-
Back