Who wants a mopar turbo kit?!?!

-

dizuster

Reaction score
Just wanted to start getting the word out that I'm in the process of engineering/testing/quoting mopar turbo kits right now.

The kit will be based on magnum manifolds (read CHEAP), 2" stainless hotside, 3" stainless downpipe, 44mm gate, 50mm BOV, and various T4 turbo options. All tubes will be production mandrel bent, and TIG welded on assembly fixtures to ensure dimensional repeatability and quality.

The mock up layout I have right now fits A-B-E bodies... I will verify on FJM bodies soon, and should fit trucks also. Ordered parts today to build the first working test prototype, so as long as all goes well, these should be ready fairly soon. My 62' Savoy will probably be the test mule, so I'll be replacing my Eddy headed 360 S475 setup with my own kit. These kits will NOT require any MAJOR modifications to your car... only slight trimming on a few select cars if anything at all.

The magnum manifolds do NOT clear a factory A-body power steering boxes, so PS will be out. I didn't want to create a kit based on old A-body manifolds that are hard to come by compared to the magnum stuff. AC does look like it will fit though. These will be offered with various T4 turbos, both with and without intercoolers (intercooled kits will require cold side clearance holes).

Initial quotes coming back show that this should be affordable compared to the alternative boost options we have out there (prochargers, paxton's, roots, etc...)

Hope this helps get the mopar community going on the turbo technology. If the Ford and Chevy guys can do this... so can we!!!

This aint the first time this has been offered.....aint seen it happen yet....

Well I would say that I probably have a distinct advantage on some since I already have a pretty well running magnum manifold based turbo car...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQRca4_Mby0"]Dizuster - YouTube[/ame]

This is the turbo setup on my personal car... the kits will be slightly different then this (less complicated). Cast crank, stock 360 block, 230@.050" cam, on 15~16psi has been 9.80's at 3740lbs. These turbo's are the real deal...

14864414236_ed8d3962d2_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20140723_183648_773 by [/IMG]

I will file this with the slant six aluminum head.

That is a good looking setup. It would be cool if they could fit the earlier cars (1963-66) as well as the later 1967+ cars. I can dream right?

It really just depends on if the magnum manifolds will fit in the Early A's. If that works, the rest of the kit should work...

IIRC, Magnum manifolds do not fit drivers side. Only passenger side.

Do yourself a favor, do not mention $$ until you have it all sorted out......you want to know details please message me.....

Thanks for the advice... no worries... I won't.

But I will tell you guys if I couldn't beat the procharger/paxton stuff out there, I wouldn't even be bothering to do this or start spreading the word.

IIRC, Magnum manifolds do not fit drivers side. Only passenger side.

With the exit facing the rear and pointed down, yes. But for the turbo you flip the manifold so the outlet faces the front and up, so you can run it to the turbo.

With the exit facing the rear and pointed down, yes. But for the turbo you flip the manifold so the outlet faces the front and up, so you can run it to the turbo.

Right, so I'm curious if they fit on there "backwards" in an early-a..

Huh?

The aluminum head has to be used with the aluminum block.

Don't wanna boost aluminum sixes. They explode. The water jackets/ cylinder walls can't handle any of it.

I will be the first to tell you, there isn't an aluminum slant six head. They were all iron, the ones used on aluminum blocks were cast with the word "special" on the top between the intake and the valve cover. Any aluminum slant head is a custom hand made deal, what RRR was referring to was that they will likely not make one for people to walk up and buy anytime soon.

Huh?

The aluminum head has to be used with the aluminum block.

Don't wanna boost aluminum sixes. They explode. The water jackets/ cylinder walls can't handle any of it.

There is no aluminum head. I believe that was his point. Nothing about boosted slants, just that someone has a great idea that may or may not go anywhere.

P.s., I don't think anyone has boosted an aluminum slant to prove what you stated.

thumbs up! btw, i like you car. So this went below 10 s in the quarter? Wow.....very impressive.

Michael

quarter, or eighth?
I like the idea of boost on the cheap.
Where I am people slap turbo's on everything.
I intend to turbo the 265 hemi in my valiant charger. The LS brigade slap cheeep turbos on their inferior engines and go fast all the time too.

If it doesn't fit a power steering car, you'd be well off to include manual steering conversion kits with it if you plan to sell many at all.

Yes it’s been 9.88@137.67mph at 3740lbs in the ¼ mile (6.31@112mph in the 1/8 mile). Not bad considering the magnum manifolds only have a 1 7/8” collector outlet! They will support somewhere between 800~1000hp max depending on combo… which is plenty for most guys. This motor would FLY in a regular weight A-body!!!

Alternator is a 2000 Ford Taurus version, flipped and modified for the RH side. My new kits will just use the stock mopar brackets with a spacer though so you don’t need to buy anything. The only thing you’ll have to do is extend the wiring (or pull them out of the harness and re-tape).

Manual steering kits are available many places for people to purchase them. They can be had on craigslist, ebay, or even new if you’re looking for something fancy… I would love to offer these to work with power steering, but the cost to build a custom drivers side header would drive the prices through the roof compared to using the readily available (cheap) magnum truck manifolds.

-
Back