Who's idea for the 68' Hemi Dart

-

chryco69

Reaction score
I feel that during the muscle car time period, there was obviously a war between the big 3 (MOPAR/FORD/GM). The 1968 Hemi Dodge Dart was obviously Chrysler's atomic bomb that was dropped. My question is how did this go down? Who went to the CEO's with the idea on the war room drawing board? Who ok'd it, and how did it go down? Your thoughts?:coffee2:

Attachments

• War Room Strangelove.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,141
  • imagesCAE3BSML.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,112
Good Question With the expansion of the Super Stock Division in the NHRA in 1967, each manufacturer was out be the 'Top Dog'for 1968. Chevrolet was supposed to put together a 1968 Corvette Super/Stock car with an All-Aluminum 427 rated at560 Horsepower. Installed in the 1968 Corvette with an approximate weight of #3100 lbs. The Corvette would have had a Weight/HPfactor of 5.53 Wt/HP putting it in the new SS/A Class for 1968. Ford was in the process of putting together a 427 SOHC in the new 1968 Mustang GT. The 427 SOHC was to berated at 600 HP. Installed in the 1968 Mustang GT with an approximate weight of #3200 lbs. The Mustang GT would have hada Weight/HP of 5.33 Wt/HP putting it also in SS/A. Mopar, to counter Chevrolet and Ford's effort, went with the 426 Race Hemi in the light A-Body {Barracuda and Dart}.The Race Hemi would again be rated at 500 HP, just like the 1964 and 1965 Super/Stock B-Body cars. The #3050 lb. lightened A-Body cars would have a Weight/HP factor of 6.10 Wt/HP. These cars would be classed in the 6.00 to 6.99 Weight/HP range, or SS/B. The Head's of Mopar's Racing Division {Dick Maxwell, Bob Cahill and Tom Hoover} had Engineer - Bob Tarrozi designthe project in November 1967. This is where the 'main ingredients' started.

Didnt Mr Norm have to goose them a little, I though chrysler couldnt do it till Norm showed them it could be done. Just here say.

Cost >

> In December 1967

> Chevrolet dropped 'initial' plans for a 1968 Corvette 427 with the 'All-Aluminum' Engine, as the cost approached $10,000 plus.

> Also, Ford 'shut down' the 1968 Mustang GT with the 427 SOHC, as costs were over $12,000.

> That left SS/A {under 5.99 Wt/HP} class vacant for 1968.

> Mopar followed through with their 1968 Super Stock 'project', as with the help from Hurst Corporation, they were able to offer the 1968 BO29 and LO23 Darts to the factory-connected Racers for an 'unheard price' of $4500 to $5100 {depending on the connections}.

> In March 1968, the NHRA put the 1968 Race Hemi A-Body cars in SS/B {6.00 to 6.99 Wt/HP}, as the NHRAwas still holding SS/A 'reserved' for both the Chevrolet and Ford 'factory bombers'.

> In March 1968 > Mopar petitioned the NHRA to put the 1968 Race Hemi's in SS/A, as the 'top' Super Stock cars, until Chevrolet or Ford came through with their 'to be built' cars.

> NHRA did not listen, and left SS/A open for both 1968 and 1969..............

Mopar followed through with their 1968 Super Stock 'project', as with the help from Hurst Corporation, they were able to offer the 1968 BO29 and LO23 Darts to the factory-connected Racers for an 'unheard price' of $4500 to $5100 {depending on the connections}.

it's just sick that just to but a stock 426 hemi (1968 technology) costs $14,000 today

$5000 in 1968 is over $34,000 in todays money.

Not to high jack this thread here but this is exactly why these new cars make me so mad. In 68 I could buy a factory race car for the equivilant of 34,000. Now 34,000 barely gets you a base model v8.

I believe racers had a lot to do with the 68 abody as cars as well. I seem to remember reading about some of the teams having a brain storming with the suits.

Not to high jack this thread here but this is exactly why these new cars make me so mad. In 68 I could buy a factory race car for the equivilant of 34,000. Now 34,000 barely gets you a base model v8.

I believe racers had a lot to do with the 68 abody as cars as well. I seem to remember reading about some of the teams having a brain storming with the suits.

2014 Challenger R/T is $31,000 (dodge.com).

The 68 Hemi cars were extremely expensive and we're not street legal.

2014 Challenger R/T is $31,000 (dodge.com).

The 68 Hemi cars were extremely expensive and we're not street legal.

The hellcat would be 9,000 in 1968. I don't know of a car that sold for that much back then. Maybe a Ferrari or rolls. I'm sorry but these new prices are just insane. Give us a decent v8 car for around 20,000 then they are in the same price range that these cars would have went for back then. I'm not going to hijack the OP though so I am done.

Costs >

* 1968 'LO23' Race Hemi Dart
* 1968 'BO29' Race Hemi Barracuda

There were '3' Price Base Costs for the Super Stock A-Body cars.

{A} Factory-backed Racers were able to get the SS/B or SS/BA carsfor $4100 or thereabouts.

{B} Factory 'approved' Racers were able to get the A-Body Bombers for $4500 to $5000, providing
they picked them at the Chrysler in Highland Hills, Michigan - or the Hurst Facility.

{C} If you went through a Dealer, you usually were in for anywhere from {Retail Price of $5100}
or{List Price; $5700}.

{D}Now, Norm Krause {Grand-Spaulding Dodge ~ Mr. Norm's} in Chicago had locked onto a bunch
of LO23 Darts. The price through Mr. Norm's was anywhere from $5000 to $5700, depending onthe
'Day-of-the-Week'.

Good Question With the expansion of the Super Stock Division in the NHRA in 1967, each manufacturer was out be the 'Top Dog'for 1968. Chevrolet was supposed to put together a 1968 Corvette Super/Stock car with an All-Aluminum 427 rated at560 Horsepower. Installed in the 1968 Corvette with an approximate weight of #3100 lbs. The Corvette would have had a Weight/HPfactor of 5.53 Wt/HP putting it in the new SS/A Class for 1968. Ford was in the process of putting together a 427 SOHC in the new 1968 Mustang GT. The 427 SOHC was to berated at 600 HP. Installed in the 1968 Mustang GT with an approximate weight of #3200 lbs. The Mustang GT would have hada Weight/HP of 5.33 Wt/HP putting it also in SS/A. Mopar, to counter Chevrolet and Ford's effort, went with the 426 Race Hemi in the light A-Body {Barracuda and Dart}.The Race Hemi would again be rated at 500 HP, just like the 1964 and 1965 Super/Stock B-Body cars. The #3050 lb. lightened A-Body cars would have a Weight/HP factor of 6.10 Wt/HP. These cars would be classed in the 6.00 to 6.99 Weight/HP range, or SS/B. The Head's of Mopar's Racing Division {Dick Maxwell, Bob Cahill and Tom Hoover} had Engineer - Bob Tarroli designthe project in November 1967. This is where the 'main ingredients' started.

Do you actually think that the Hemi they used in these cars back then ONLY had 500 horses???

Treblig

Do you actually think that the Hemi they used in these cars back then ONLY had 500 horses??? Treblig

Don't be so 'siily'.

That is what the NHRA factored them at.

* 1964 426 'Race Hemi' ......... 500 HP
* 1965 426 'Race Hemi' ......... 500 HP
* 1968 426 'Race Hemi' ......... 500 HP

The 426/425 HP 'Street Hemi' cars were NHRA factored in at 455 HP.

From what i understand in all of the previous articles that i have read, these cars were all just quickly slapped together cars at Hurst.
They were simply the ''bones'' that a racer needed to build a competitive race car.
It was expected of them to take the car home, take it apart, paint in your color scheme of choice, and blueprint all of the mechanicals before actually running the car at the track.
The engines and the wheel alignments were only intended to drive the car onto a trailer and into a shop before they were fully prepped.
Not to mention the wheels and tires, lol.
As delivered, i can believe the 500 h.p. rating to be accurate.
After all, they were just hastily slapped together!

Correct,

The 1968 'LO-23' Dart's and 'BO-29' Barracuda's

1968 426 'Race Hemi' Engine

* 12.5 -1 Pistons {Heavy TRW Forged Slugs}
* Stock Cast Iron Cylinder Heads
* Stock 'Mechanical' Camshaft
* Stock Valve Springs
* Aluminum Cross-Ram Intake
* '2' Holley #4160 {770 CFM} Carburetors
* Stock Oil Pan.

I have a friend that had worked at the Hurst factory building those cars. To hear him talk, it's amazing they even rolled out the door! Missing parts, un-inspected pieces and a "hurry-up & get it done" attitude wasn't exactly the keys to quality control.
As to who actually thought it up----I recall hearing a story of Bob Cahill wanting to run a car that would be competitive against GM & Ford. He asked Hoover, who asked Tarozzi what would be a good route to take. Given the rules of the day, Mopar figured a Hemi in an A-body would fall into SS/B a class the CJ 'stangs didn't fit in & at the time, the 396/375hp Camaros wouldn't into either.
Tarozzi got the job to come up with the engineering & parts to make it work resulting in a real "Rube Goldberg"-style of cut-'n-fit that ultimately worked. Of course by then the rules changed, GM came up with the COPO Camaros & NHRA decided a Hemi & an A-body were no where near the hp/weight ratio of a SS/B car. The cars ran a short time as "B" cars (there's a great photo of S&M's 'cuda with out even a rollbar around) but by then things got "weird" & SS/A, ProStock & (AHRA) Experimental Super Stock (X/SS) sprouted until there was only ProStock & SS/A for the cars to play in. The rest is history........

1968 NHRA 'proposal' for Super/Stock Classes in {December 1967 ~ Detroit Meeting}

* SS/A .......... 0 to 5.99
* SS/B .......... 6.00 to 6.99
* SS/C .......... 7.00 to 7.69
* SS/D .......... 7.70 to 8.69
* SS/E .......... 8.70 to 9.49
* SS/F .......... 9.50 and up

Chevrolet had put in paperwork to develop a 1968 Corvette with an All-Aluminum 427 for SS/A.

Ford had also present paperwork for a 1968 Mustang GT with a 427 'SOHC Cammer',
also for SS/A.

They would meet NHRA requirements, as long as they produced 50 of them.

Both Manufacturer said that they would have their cars ready by the 1968 NHRA Springnationals at Englishtown, New Jersey.

They both never did, as the Cost-to-Build was 'crazy high'.

There was an article in Mopar Action that chronicled the career of Bob Tarozzi. It's extremely neat with all kinds of great info.

Bob is the Engineer that did the initial figuring to determine if it was even possible to meet the goal that Tom Hoover laid out for him. Then he designed the car to meet the goal.

I've meet Bob Tarozzi many times at our Spring Fling track days at Willow Springs. He has an incredible memory and documents to verify. Hurst hired him to do their Super Stock AMX shortly after he was done with the 68 Mopar Super Stock. He was down in Florida testing Mopar Nascars at Daytona and when finished went directly to Harry Crane's shop in Florida to work in the SS AMX's. Didn't even have a chance to go back to Detroit.

Interesting that the gm and fomoco cars were "paper" cars, and the Mopar actually ran....IIRC still hold the record for that class(es).For all the crowd following and hype, it's hard to argue with fact.Those cars are still impressive, even with todays turn key 700 HP with A/C showroom jobs.

When you consider the basic formula (small car/big engine) & the fact the factory didn't have near the computer technology they do today & the cars were basically stock bodied, mid-low 10s was impressive by any standard. Hell, the factories are just getting near that NOW after almost 50years of R&D. Sure the factory racecars (CJs, COPOs DragPaks) are quicker when built but in a car-vs.-car comparison I think only the Hellcat & Super Snake come close-and they're forced-induction!

My dad raced for Grand Spaulding Dodge along with Norm and others back in the 60's and early 70's and this is a story my dad emailed me the other day and it can shed some light on the issue about the Darts..Enjoy!

The decade of 1960 through 1969 will be illustrated by the 1968 GSS HEMI Dart with a 725 hp 528ci Hemi V8 developed by the Iconic Mr. Norm's of Chicago's Grand Spaulding Dodge fame. Norm Kraus and the Chicago automobile scene have been linked for more than 60 of those 100 years. In 1948 he began his automotive career selling used cars with his brother from a gas station their father Harvey owned, located at the Corner of Grand and Spaulding in Chicago. The famous appellation "Mr Norm" first appeared, due to a space limitation in a newspaper ad selling performance oriented cars. The name stuck and Norm Kraus became "Mr. Norm."
The new Grand Spaulding Dodge showroom and service department was built in 1963. Tying in the performance theme that was established from the onset, the "Mr. Norm's Sport Club" was started and the relationship with youthful performance purchasers was further developed. The first Clayton Chassis Dynamometer was installed in the service department and the dealership began selling "Mr. Norm's" racing apparel. By 1965, Norm teamed up with Gary Dyer and began match racing with a factory altered wheel base Supercharged Hemi Dodge Coronet that changed the course of racing forever, laying the groundwork for what became the professional Funny Car Category.
Mr. Norm developed the first 383 Dart that became the prototype for the factory 383 Dart GTS in 1967. In 1968 Mr. Norm also developed the first 440 Dart GSS that became the prototype for the factory M Code 440 Dart GTS. Mr. Norm also sold the majority of the legendary Hurst/Campbell-built 1968 Hemi Darts. By this time Mr. Norm had well earned the honorary title of the "Hi-Performance King."
Many who grew up in Chicago during the 60's will remember the "Get with the Go Group" jingle on WLS radio, the many "Mr. Norm's" Sport Club social/dances with The Buckinghams as feature music group took place at the dealership, hot summer nights spent hanging out in the Grand Spaulding Dodge dyno bay on South side of Chicago at 3300 West Grand Avenue.
If you are too young to have been in the bleachers to watch the Mr. Norm's Super Charger dominate the factory backed Ramchargers on their home turf at Ubly Dragway in Michigan, you may have still witnessed many "Mr. Norm's" vehicles crashing through Dixie Square Mall or piled up at the intersection of Illinois Routes 12 & 176, in Wauconda, IL in the film the "Blues Brothers". Grand Spaulding Dodge fleet department became so large in 1975 that it supplied many of the Chicago Police Department cars, as well as the Illinois Secretary of State, Department of Transportation and many municipalities. Special orders of police pursuit vehicles equipped with 440 Magnum V8 engines were dyno-tuned for maximum power.
It is particularly fitting that the Mr. Norm's new Hemi GSS Dart has been chosen as the benchmark contribution of the 1960's automotive history at the 100th Anniversary of the Chicago Auto Show. At age 72, Mr. Norm by have already received Hall of Fame Status and at least one Lifetime Achievement Award, but he is hardly content to rest on his laurels. Just like he did in 1968, Mr. Norm is once again revolutionizing the way performance vehicles are created and sold. The vehicle that will be on display is the pre-production prototype of the Limited Edition New GSS Series. These aren't "continuation" or "tribute" cars, this is a new GSS program developed by Mr. Norm and his hand picked team.
Designed to blend the finest 21st century components and technology with classic muscle car style, this is the Hemi Dart that Mr. Norm would have offered in 1968 had the methods and products existed. The Mr. Norm's GSS Hemi Dart exceeds the performance of the original in every category, making it a far superior vehicle. Amongst the notable features is a base 472 cubic-inch HEMI which makes street friendly 610hp on 91 octane pump gas. Each drive-train component, like the transmissions and rear-ends, are dyno tested to withstand up to 850hp to ensure they are able to take to punishment of even the biggest optional Hemi mill. This would be the all-aluminum 572 cubic inch Hemi headed monster which produces a mind bending 825 horsepower, also on everyday 91 unleaded.
Another note worthy aspect of this new GSS is the use of nearly zero body filler. Each of the 40 Limited Edition GSS Darts requires 400 hours of body prep and the use of leading-edge water-jet technology. This process means the body is stripped down to bare metal using a solution treated with a potent rust inhibitor. Each Dart is then painted in sealer, basecoat, intermediate tinted clear, final clearcoat layers, and then baked at 150 degrees for thirty minutes. Once final assembly is complete, each GSS is dyno-tuned, road tested and dialed in so its owner can enjoy hassle free performance. On the day of delivery, Mr. Norm himself will show up and present your new GSS. The customer is still king.

The 1968 GSS HEMI Dart being featured at the 100th Chicago Auto Show signals the return of the Hi-Performance King. The New GSS Dart itself marks the beginning of an entire line of classic GSS Performance Vehicles. Mr. Norm has also teamed up with noted custom vehicle designer Larry Weiner of Performance West Group and respected collectable automobile marketer Patrick Krook of Show Your Auto LLC to offer a limited edition series of 2008 Mr. Norm's Hemi Ram 1500 Super Trucks. The Super Truck promises to be the first of many modern Mr. Norm's Super Cars.

-
Back