Whose Hydraulic Flat Tappet Lifters?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I've heard there have been some quality issues with hydraulic flat tappet Comp lifters lately. If that's the case, whose lifters do you folks run on mild HFT cams? Would running a stock replacement Speed Pro lifter be a no-no on a mild Comp camshaft?

Johnson lifter?

If really need hep, I usually get my wife to do it.

Sorry, my sugar's low, and I couldn't resist.

Boy, they sure are proud of them. $400-$450 for a set of HFT? Damn! That's 2-3 times the cost of the cam.
Without looking, I think 400-450 might be for the roller lifters. I think you can get them for what you want through summit for around 140 ???? You'd have to check

I'm sorry I was thinking solid .
I think Crower makes some lifters called cam saver or something like that for hydraulic ?

Ya, very proud, mech roller $625 not to bad but mech flat tappet $320 & $470 a bit pricey for me.

Ya, very proud, mech roller $625 not to bad but mech flat tappet $320 & $470 a bit pricey for me.

I know your looking for hyd but I was just talking to Crower about there Coolface EDM MFT 78g vs 100g of others
$245 vs $470 Johnson. I have run Coolface mech lifters in 3 different motors and never had a problem.

Anyone have any issues running replacement Sealed Powers lifters, or the like on mild Comp cams. I'm just afraid of Comp lifters based on some of the stories I've read. Though admittedly, I'm not sure how much truth there is to those stories.

Crower Cam Savers are nice. I have a set in my 400 Ford.

In Nov. 2014 I installed a Compcams 20-221 cam and lifters in my magnum-headed LA 318 daily driver. During the break-in the mechanical fuel pump went bad. That was about 3 mins into it. I couldn't keep the engine rpms up. I finally shut her down, bought and installed a new fuel pump then restarted the engine and completed the break-in. I still have the low oil pressure at hot idle but have not heard any noise from those lifters.

In Nov. 2014 I installed a Compcams 20-221 cam and lifters in my magnum-headed LA 318 daily driver. During the break-in the mechanical fuel pump went bad. That was about 3 mins into it. I couldn't keep the engine rpms up. I finally shut her down, bought and installed a new fuel pump then restarted the engine and completed the break-in. I still have the low oil pressure at hot idle but have not heard any noise from those lifters.

That's the same cam we were considering for my Dad's low compression 360 build.

That's the same cam we were considering for my Dad's low compression 360 build.
It was spec'd by Compcams for my 68 Coronet Wagon. I am very satisfied with my combo. Also you could have Compcams nitride a set of lifters. I had this done for custom grind in the Hemi.

I have only lost 2 cams. Both were comp cam and lifters. This was about 10 years ago. I have used comp sense then with no problems. I just never use their break in lube it runs off if the engine sets for any length of time. I use paste type cam lubes only. Isky rev lube is good. Hughes is good to. Other than that Ive used about every lifter made with no problems. I prefer Howards now. They make good stuff and its affordable. Crower is top notch stuff also.

-
Back