Why 3.91/4.10 Gears make the best short term expressway gears!

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
So I keep hearing how nice O.D or gears like 2.94/2.73 are great for high speed driving. How lower engine revs are a good thing at freeway speeds. I say un un. Well maybe if traffic is usually heavy on the expressways you mostly drive on or you go long distances--I say more than 10 miles one way. But for your "fun" hot rod around the town spirited driving I keep seeing how great my 3.91 gears with only 26 inch tires really are.

The number one reason, I get engine braking whenever letting up the gas. And the faster you go, the quicker it slows back down...without using the brakes--they stay nice and cool in cause they are needed.

It really comes in handy, going around blind curves in 70-75mph zones you automatically let up a bit on the throttle---traffic behind you oh they are way back there, thanks for how effortless you can pass with 3.91/4.10 gears.

Noise, well there are decent high flow mufflers now and if you run two on each pipe--one as a primary under the rear seat , then other muffler by the fuel tank as a secondary muffler, it cuts the drone way down. A high power stereo finishes it off and you can rock and roll at speed, at 4,000-5,000-6,000 rpm's

Fuel, oh well yeah it does go down quicker but if you still live to see another day on the E ways, well that is priceless:-D

Engine braking is very cool on the street! I'm never getting O.D. or less than 3.91 gears for my around town ride. No way, I been around a long time and just like to share my knowledge with the younger members.

Feel free to disagree and I really don't care. Just thought a few might get something out of my comment. O.D. can be a good thing but on long straight flat roads and remember, you speed too often something bad is going to happen once in a while. If you get O'D. you might as well get a speed control set up and use it!

Building a 4.30 center section... That ought to buzz pretty good. 3.91 is livable though.

I agree! Got 4.30's and 26" tall tires on the Scamp...if your motors good, buzzin' 3500rpm on the highway for a little while isnt gonna hurt anything but your gas mileage...:-D

Agree I swap from 3.91s and go to 4.30s at times in my 64 416 Dart with about a 26" tire too.

I like the roller coaster plant your butt in the seat feeling a LOT:)

i agree anything higher323 300 294 tends to have me going too fast and going to jail.410s im good all day long

my 3.91's were great around town.. but i'll keep my 2.94's... i get up on the highway and cruise 2-3 hours cruises on a regular basis. i like to cruise at 75-85 mph and have blasts for extended periods at triple digits. :)

How about 3:55s? :D

Good gear for freeway (3000 rpm at about 60 mph) and good street use. And its gets up and goes.

I drive to Pacific Raceways and Bremerton raceway for racing (if my dad isn't racing) 45 miles to Pacific one way, 80 miles one way to Bremerton.

2:7's are good for freeway, especially if you were to be rolling, probably takes off like a bat out of hell. i know Joe dart is pretty dang quick

Thats why OD is nice you can have your deep gears and still drive the car on a road trip with out having girls in there hondas go flying past you on the freeway. Want to have that low gear feel? Just leave it in 4th. Now lets say you are going to get on the freeway and want to go more than 60. Just shift in to 5th.

How about 3:55s? :D

Good gear for freeway (3000 rpm at about 60 mph) and good street use. And its gets up and goes.

I drive to Pacific Raceways and Bremerton raceway for racing (if my dad isn't racing) 45 miles to Pacific one way, 80 miles one way to Bremerton.

2:7's are good for freeway, especially if you were to be rolling, probably takes off like a bat out of hell. i know Joe dart is pretty dang quick

i had 3.55 in my dart for a year also.. with a 28" tire. was better then the 3.91 but not near as fun on the highway as my 2.94.. :) hey everyone likes something different. i still want better on the highway.. slowly looking into some kind of OD.

Thats why OD is nice you can have your deep gears and still drive the car on a road trip with out having girls in there hondas go flying past you on the freeway. Want to have that low gear feel? Just leave it in 4th. Now lets say you are going to get on the freeway and want to go more than 60. Just shift in to 5th.

yea baby....

i just added Nitto DR that are 28" tall, before i had 3.55 with bfg radial t/a's 25.5" tall they would spin with 1/4 throttle, but with the new tire the 3.55 are kind of lame, so i'm thinking 4.10, still ok on highway and much better light to light since i can hook.

Nobody goes flying past me on the freeway, ha ha.

Yeah 70mph is 4,000 rpm but like its no problem, motor seems happy there, redline is at 6,800 so I still have lots of motor left.

Like I said its only for 10 miles max blast one way they are cool, then they can get old--make that expensive for gas.

Never know when a deer, something will jump in front, od trans make it a bit harder to slow down as quick. Also if I down watch it the car slows down, with my old mans Buick you can doze off and keep going at 75 mph without you foot even on the gas.

i agree anything higher323 300 294 tends to have me going too fast and going to jail.410s im good all day long

Oh you can go fast but you quickly slow down right after--and that saves you. Real cool to be maxing it out and then 30 seconds later see a Blue Meanie and you look and see 75 mph on your speedo :cheers:

my 3.91's were great around town.. but i'll keep my 2.94's... i get up on the highway and cruise 2-3 hours cruises on a regular basis. i like to cruise at 75-85 mph and have blasts for extended periods at triple digits. :)

Yeah 2nd gear would be 4.26, pretty cool for passing and let me do the math, 2.94 gears, 6,800 redline, 27 inch tires, that be 160+ mph if your motor can pull it.

Forget going to jail, what about getting killed

:)

carlisle09%20585.jpg

Yeah 2nd gear would be 4.26, pretty cool for passing and let me do the math, 2.94 gears, 6,800 redline, 27 inch tires, that be 160+ mph if your motor can pull it.

Forget going to jail, what about getting killed
> Because it's like keepin the cake, eatin it, and no calories. Because 4.30's become 2.97's. A500 with that 2.74 first gear, will launch pretty good. 4" arm, even better. Motor wears-out a lot slower on the hi-way, better milege(more range). You build the car for the maximum speed intended. Nothing can protect from, a "loose nut on the steering wheel", lol.8)

i just added Nitto DR that are 28" tall, before i had 3.55 with bfg radial t/a's 25.5" tall they would spin with 1/4 throttle, but with the new tire the 3.55 are kind of lame, so i'm thinking 4.10, still ok on highway and much better light to light since i can hook.

I last was running 4.10 and 255/60/15's behind my 4spd. It works well. About the same as the 391's and the 26 inch tires with less spin.

HA!

not sure how accurate it is. but i can say that was on the way to carlisle and it was a 5000 rpm shot with 2.94 gears and a 28" tire... :)

car is stable as hell in the triple digit speeds. feels like your doing 55 mph..

-
Back