Why are models of cars so pricey?

-

lurchs66cuda

A-body for life!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found this the other day while back in KS visiting and thought that the scaled down price makes it closer to the real deal!

Attachments

• 20131129_153907.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 482
I just bought that one for the same price. Yes this stuff is pricey when you start customizing them it really gets expensive.

both hobby lobby and Michaels will have 40-50% off coupons every other week
that knocks the price back down to 12-16 bucks for most kits

both hobby lobby and Michaels will have 40-50% off coupons every other week
that knocks the price back down to 12-16 bucks for most kits

Michaels is where that picture was taken. :D

I would definitely have to go HEMI too if I were to get it.....:burnout:

Plastic model kit pricing in general has gone up a lot recently. Most kids now a days are glued to there phone. They don't sell as many kits so the price has to go up.

There are a lot of internet sites to buy cheaper. Also on facebook there are some pages
for buying/sell/trade. Done a lot myself lately. Just have to look and watch for the good
deals.

i was noticing the same thing .... with the few places that have been selling them ...

i would get into it, but the price is like killing that idea ... =/

even at these prices, its still a less expensive hobby that many.. have ya seen the price of video games? yikes!

I have never found a '75 duster model anywhere even though I know there was one made...

Wait till your secret santa's favorite vehicle isn't common at all (& likes car models).

Some of the 1965 Barracuda's I found on the net were going for hundred's and hundreds of dollars. I prayed and got lucky. I found, bid, won, & mailed my gift (he's opened it) before Xmas while working an average of 13 hour days refurbishing some tubes on the USS Rhode Island.

Bomber models were $20 bucks in the 80's when I was a kid.
The supplies for my 50 merc were $80 bucks

My opinion is that models are more expensive because our money is worth less.
Some mass production makes yesterday's prices inequitable when viewed thru inflation.

I hope you can find what your looking for, that's the same price for that model as it is in Chattanooga, TN and Jacksonville, Florida.

I have never found a '75 duster model anywhere even though I know there was one made...

if im not mistaking the most common 75 duster is the mislabeled dart sport ?

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-ERTL-1975-Plymouth-Duster-Hard-Top-Kit-/400629511981?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5d4761372d[/ame]

(at that price I might just bid on it myself)

there is this MPC kit (going for 31 as I post this, expect it to sell for about 70)

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MPC-1975-Plymouth-Duster-Model-Kit-1-7526-In-original-Box-1-25-scale-/201002491414?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2eccae9e16"]Vintage MPC 1975 Plymouth Duster Model Kit 1 7526 in Original Box 1 25 Scale | eBay[/ame]

and then there is the convoy chaser
not sure what it is, 73-75 dart sport ?
not a very accurate depiction with the tubbed rear end and 426 hemi

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-FIRST-ISSUE-1976-MPC-SMOKEY-CONVOY-CHASER-KIT-MIB-amt-/191008831274?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2c7903772a"]WOW First Issue 1976 MPC 034 Smokey 034 Convoy Chaser Kit AMT | eBay[/ame]

It is reissued & will be available Dec 27 I think is what I read

These are reissues that I prepaid for & got a deal on

Attachments

• SAM_0364.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 315
Hi Gents,

I might be able to shed some light here. I was the Boys Toys Buyer for Toys R Us Australia for many years and I use to ask myself the same question.

The reason for the high costs these days is due to the below.

1. Tooling is extremely expensive whether it's die cast or plastic model kits.
2. Licensing fees are quite high involved with models.
3. Cost of production and raw materials in the Far East is extremely high these days.

A lot of die cast and plastic model kits will be minimal size production runs of 2,500 - 5,000 and a lot of factories don't even want to touch small runs and hence the high cost in cleaning and changing dyes etc..

I was out at the hobby lobby yesterday and I seen some weird pschycedelic re-issue of the AMT 70 pro-street super bee
(come to think of it, I was asked for some feedback once by an automated email from round two and this is the one kit I wanted to see re-issued)

i was really excited about this one because it is THE go to kit for mopar prostreet parts the chassis and drivetrain swap into charger, challengers and late model cudas no problem and it is what i used to finally give roscoe a fighting change to catch them duke boys

this has got to be the only kit i stock up on

If im not mistaking the most common 75 duster is the mislabeled dart sport ?
That is the one I have seen the most..didn'r realize that it was a Dart Sport...just couldn't figure out how to take the hood scoop off..

there is this MPC kit (going for 31 as I post this, expect it to sell for about 70)
this is the one I have been looking for...BTW, shipping for all of 'em is @ 25 bucks for me..

and then there is the convoy chaser not sure what it is, 73-75 dart sport ?
Are they all dart sports ? It has the hood scoop I would like but not the tubbing nor the hemi..

Did someone here say that the mpc will be re issued ?

Thanks
Ian.

best i know all these AMT kits were dodges (with dodge marked on the front grille)

you can try this site, maybe they ship cheaper to the north

http://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/amt-38155.htm

and they have some nice info on the kit (never knew it came with 2 engines and optional hood)

and while you are shopping with them anyway go ahead and put your pre-order in for the re-issue of the 75 duster...did i say duster...you know it has to be a dart sport with that dodge grille ;)

http://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/mpc-r2-798.htm

no problem Ian, we share a common interest and so most of what i shared i had readily available :)

The Dart Sport model is the old Convoy Chaser model
The Duster models fetch good money

I bid on a chrome tree for one & got outbid at $29

The MPC went beyond my budget..and it looks like they are not reissuing the Duster..too bad..there is so little out there for the '75 but there are only so many bucks to go around..sigh..

66cudacomplete.htm

-
Back