Why are there so many Dodge Scamps?

-

DemonDave

Swollen Member
Reaction score
I recently Google image-searched "Plymouth Scamp" and was slack-jawed at the number of Plymouth Scamps wearing Dodge Bumblebee stripes. I'd guesstimate that nearly 25% of the Scamps pictured were cross-dressed up as Dodges. Why is this? I know that Plymouth never offered a performance oriented Scamp as Dodge did with the Dart which would leave owners without a blueprint for their personal performance Scamp builds, but Plymouth did offer many cool stripes over the muscle years which lend themselves well to working on the Scamp body. Of course I realize how easy it is to slap a Bumblebee stripe on a Scamp since it uses the Dart body but it just isn't right. You'd never stick a Roadrunner bird on your Coronet 500, right?

Now check these two Scamps out.. both wearing stripes that mimic their sister the Duster, yet are shaped to match the Scamp's body-lines. They're fantastic, and you would never have to face the "Mopar Police" at your local cruise night. You all know the type of person that I'm talking about...

Dodges were the cars with the Bumblebee stripes... proud members of the Dodge Scat Pack... never Plymouths. Plymouth had the Rapid Transit System which was equally as cool, some say more-so, so embrace your Plymouth!

:thumbsup:

Join me later for my rant on Duster side stripes slapped on Demons and Dart Sports.... :soapbox::lol:

22820_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

fl0114-172448_1.jpg

Owners just liked the stripes. They don’t care what they came on from the factory. The stripe looks cool, then the stripe looks cool. It did s there car, on it goes. Doesn’t fit? Make it fit.

The Mopar police pulled me over the other day for this Challenger AAR offense. I almost was tazed but got off with a warning...

IMG_5452.JPG

Frankly as many relabled/ cross model/ redressed combinations that Ma "thut up", I'm surprised some of that wasn't "factory"

I added the stripe to mine because I like the look. There was not much left on it That was stock, so I wasn’t worried about keeping it factory.

7BDC6FEB-F786-467B-BD99-2A44284E6175.jpeg

Because it is a well known fact that the Plymouth Scamp body and structure are far superior to the Dodge Dart platform. Therefore by adding the stripes for "cool" look, you end up with a much better automobile.

I've said for years, if somebody makes something to fit a "thing", somebody somewhere will buy and install that something whether it was necessary or tasteful, or not.

Because it is a well known fact that the Plymouth Scamp body and structure are far superior to the Dodge Dart platform. Therefore by adding the stripes for "cool" look, you end up with a much better automobile.
That's not what I heard at all.

I heard the Scamp was the bastard offspring after all the Swingers got together.

For me, it's the fact that it's a stripe from a different brand of car... many younger folks might not know that while Dodge and Plymouth were sister brands under the Chrysler umbrella, they were wholly separate divisions and fierce competitors with each other. It seemed at the time that they competed harder with each other than with brands from GM and Ford, something that's been lost under the modern concept of all Mopar being as one.

Back in the day, I used to streetrace a big-block swapped '67 Barracuda and it really grated on me when some Bowtie clown would refer to my car as a "Dodge"... call it a Chrysler, call it a Mopar but my Plymouth ain't no Dodge!

Funny how things change...

Well, I have a silent cross dresser. I bought my Duster after the Plymouth make came to an end. The old title had Plymouth as the “Make”. The new title had Dodge as the “Make”! I was surprised that Kalifornia doesn’t know the difference.

I recently Google image-searched "Plymouth Scamp" and was slack-jawed at the number of Plymouth Scamps wearing Dodge Bumblebee stripes. I'd guesstimate that nearly 25% of the Scamps pictured were cross-dressed up as Dodges. Why is this? I know that Plymouth never offered a performance oriented Scamp as Dodge did with the Dart which would leave owners without a blueprint for their personal performance Scamp builds, but Plymouth did offer many cool stripes over the muscle years which lend themselves well to working on the Scamp body. Of course I realize how easy it is to slap a Bumblebee stripe on a Scamp since it uses the Dart body but it just isn't right. You'd never stick a Roadrunner bird on your Coronet 500, right?

Now check these two Scamps out.. both wearing stripes that mimic their sister the Duster, yet are shaped to match the Scamp's body-lines. They're fantastic, and you would never have to face the "Mopar Police" at your local cruise night. You all know the type of person that I'm talking about...

Dodges were the cars with the Bumblebee stripes... proud members of the Dodge Scat Pack... never Plymouths. Plymouth had the Rapid Transit System which was equally as cool, some say more-so, so embrace your Plymouth!

:thumbsup:

Join me later for my rant on Duster side stripes slapped on Demons and Dart Sports.... :soapbox::lol:

View attachment 1716006311

View attachment 1716006312
I love my Scamp way more than a Dart today. Many years ago I loved Darts more than Scamps. People like what they like.
And by the way, the Mopar police would be all over those two non original Scamps pictured, as well as my non original Scamp. Who cares!

IMG_20221014_170009.jpg

IMG_20220928_172632.jpg

They look cool, and its part of the same family. As long as its not a ford mustang sticker or something like that. i like that Barracuda from Highway men hockey stick, lower stripe i believe it has a mustang mach 1 front spoiler. Amazing car! as long as it looks good to you is all that matters ((((f))))) {D}uck other people.

-
Back