Why can't I clean my PCV valve?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Guys/Gals: My PCV valve is dirty and I'd like to clean it inside and out. The factory owners manual (see excerpt below) says that you should never try to clean a PCV valve, but just install a new one instead. My old PCV valve is date coded and probably the original one that came with the car, so I'd like to keep it. Does anyone know why I shouldn't clean - perhaps by soaking it in a solvent (gas, paint thinner, etc.) then finishing the cleanout with soap and water - and reinstall my valve? What harm could come of this? Have you done this before, and what worked for you? Thanks - cruiser

IMG_3248.jpg

No experience with date coded “correct” pcv valves but it’s been common practice in just about every shop I’ve ever worked in to spray em out with brake clean until they have a nice crisp rattle. Careful though the brake clean might wipe the “correctness” right off the valve.

Go ahead. If it's a metal valve, just use carb cleaner. If it's a plastic valve, use the "MAP sensor safe" stuff.

It's a check valve and has a sealing seat so when it's closed, it seals completely and doesn't allow flow. If you try to clean it, particles can and will get between the valve and seat and cause it to leak. I've cleaned them before using aerosol carburetor cleaner and compressed air though and never had a problem.

i wouldnt sweat the date code on a /6,not like its a hemi cuda conv.,put a new on one and keep the old one,that way when you sell it for huge$$$ you will have it

Clean it. If made of plastic be careful what you use.

the only time I replace is if they are damaged or all clogged up and won’t come clean.

Think about why they don’t want you to clean it. Chrysler printed book says don’t clean it because when the customer screws it up they have a bad vacuum leak and the car will idle high and could be a dangerous situation for bad drivers.

Last edited:
To clean it properly, spray it with cleaner, then put it up to your lips and blow real hard through it....

(You're hired...) :D

If you can shake it and the valve rattles, no reason to attempt to clean it.

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t see any reason to clean it with anything other than warm soap and water. Rinse with clean water and blow it out with some low pressure compressed air. Or just let it air dry for a bit longer.

Yes, clean it. With age it forms a hard coating inside that defies cleaning. Check it's operation by blowing/sucking to confirm open/closed.

They're cheap enough not to be worth any effort to save.

spray em out with brake clean
No, spray 'em out with carburetor cleaner. Most brake cleaner is no longer chlorinated, but chlorinated brake cleaner does still exist, and if it gets sucked into a running engine or otherwise burned it creates severely toxic nerve gas (phosgene) out the exhaust. You do not want to take even a tiny amount of that risk. Carburetor cleaner is the right stuff.

No, spray 'em out with carburetor cleaner. Most brake cleaner is no longer chlorinated, but chlorinated brake cleaner does still exist, and if it gets sucked into a running engine or otherwise burned it creates severely toxic nerve gas (phosgene) out the exhaust. You do not want to take even a tiny amount of that risk. Carburetor cleaner is the right stuff.
Stuff evaporates so quick that it would be very difficult to get brake clean sucked in to the engine after using it to clean a pcv valve. Let it sit for 7 seconds after you spray it and it’ll be dry as a popcorn fart.

To clean it properly, spray it with cleaner, then put it up to your lips and blow real hard through it....

(You're hired...) :D
Do you know this by experience?

(You’re hired…) I hope you’re cheap.
:lol:

Back at the dealership, the tune-up guy used to clean half a dozen (metal ones) at a time in carb cleaner .
No drama .

PROBLEM SOLVED: I used the technique that Slant Six Dan recommended and it cleaned up beautifully. I know that most guys think that its ridiculous to put this much time and thought into cleaning a PCV valve. I could just go out to NAPA and buy a brand new one for $3.95 and be done with it. But I want my car to be as factory original as possible, and the PCV valve that I had, while quite dirty, was an original correct part number valve that had the right date code for my car and still retained its original blue engine paint. I cleaned it up and installed it on my slanty, and it immediately started sucking oil fumes just like a brand new part. So now I'm a happy camper and have added to the originality of my car. Attached is a photo of my valve with its original paint installed on my motor. Thanks everyone for your input!

IMG_3399.jpg

-
Back