Why do I keep stalling?

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Help!
So the 225 Slant will start right up from cold.
Idles for about 4 minutes then dies.
At that point she will not start without a firm press on the gas pedal.
She will then start right up but If the gas pedal is not kept pressed she will stall.
Keeping the pedal pressed for a bit does not help the problem, she will absolutely stall right out if the pedal is released.
If the Dart sits for hours after this she tends to start right up but the cycle just repeats itself.

Gas tank is brand new as are the sending unit and fuel lines.
I recall this happening before new tank and lines too.

The Dart is headed to the body shop in a week so I need to get this sorted out. Im sure there are plenty of possible issues but I thought listing exactly what happens may lead some of you to know the answer. Having Fun. Getting Frustrated. Still Enjoying learning though!
Help is appreciated!

Help!
So the 225 Slant will start right up from cold.
Idles for about 4 minutes then dies.
At that point she will not start without a firm press on the gas pedal.
She will then start right up but If the gas pedal is not kept pressed she will stall.
Keeping the pedal pressed for a bit does not help the problem, she will absolutely stall right out if the pedal is released.
If the Dart sits for hours after this she tends to start right up but the cycle just repeats itself.

Gas tank is brand new as are the sending unit and fuel lines.
I recall this happening before new tank and lines too.

The Dart is headed to the body shop in a week so I need to get this sorted out. Im sure there are plenty of possible issues but I thought listing exactly what happens may lead some of you to know the answer. Having Fun. Getting Frustrated. Still Enjoying learning though!
Help is appreciated!

Is the carb rebuilt or untouched? What’s the timing? Could be you need to adjust the float or floats in the carb to have more gas in the bowl so that you get a steady stream going.

I had a similar issue at one point with my slant. Bought a "new" 1920 off the web and stuck it on there because I thought my old carb was an issue with it starting. The thing would start up and be happy when cold but as soon as it would reach temp would sputter and die. Driving it was difficult, always had to rev or else it would die again. I swapped it out with my original 1920 and boom, problem gone. Chucked the rebuilt one out so unfortunately I'm not sure what caused the issue internally. But like shotgunvic64 said, I would check it out internally to make sure nothing is obviously wrong.

is the chock going completely off and is the intake heated ( no headers) is it reaching 180 degs ,running cold will cause this problem also.

Check the float level and the idle mixture screw. The 1920's are finicky to float settings.

After it dies can you see the accelerator pump discharging fuel when cycling the carb linkage?

Sounds like a choke and high idle issue, with some possible idle mixture or jetting issue's.

Sounds like a choke and high idle issue, with some possible idle mixture or jetting issue's.
thanks to all, I have a rebuild kit on the way. I’ve never done a rebuild but I’m gonna give it a shot!

-
Back