Why enthusiasm for cars & why it matters

-
For me, my 3 main loves in my life are Art, Science, and Cars.

Cars are just a combination of the other two.

The engineering and science of car design has always fascinated me, but the Art of their form and design captures my heart. They only need to be functional...but we have chosen them to be aesthetically pleasing as well.

It’s like the fine furniture makers and architects of history that chose not just to build functionallity, but also aesthetic design into what they did.

Humans need Art and design to satisfy them...even in things that are only intended to be simply functional.

I just turned 50. My Dad (not a car guy) said to me the other day, "I thought you would be over the old cars by now". Nope, I still love them as much as when I was a kid. I don't think it will ever go away...

Sometimes one little thing can ignite an entire lifetime of love for something. When I was 6, my Dad brought home this car. In my mind that car set off an entire lifetime of love for Mopars, and up until just recently have I asked questions about the car that I never knew. He only had it for a year, both mom and dad worked at the same place and both got laid off, so the car was traded in on a slant 6 71 Duster. However, I can remember so many stories about that car that it seemed like we had it forever. I think I would die on the spot if I ever saw it again, it means that much to our family. Strange but true, my uncle, who was only 16 at the time, came to stay with us for a month in the summer of 1970, and has been crazy about the car ever since. Funny what will set the wheels in motion!

A302761C-98EC-4304-B5C2-379618C99B05.jpeg

My passions are guitars, cars, science and women.

Oh, and fishing. ....I freakin love fishing!

Jeff

I think is said that we have lost art in our society. I have the good fortune to work on beautiful old homes where art and craftsmanship is everywhere.

When I see old buildings you can see the love built into them. In a modern city all that is lost. The same goes for new cars.

The soul of things is missing now days and i dont think it's good for us.

Also fishin, but I prefer ketchin!

And science is awesome.

I wish I had stayed in school but then i wouldn't be where i am so... wish in one hand.

I have loved cars as long as I remember, I liked a lot of different makes as a child and got a new hot wheels or matchbox every week. My daddy was a car guy and raced dirt track, so I kinda grew up in the pits. As a pree teen I fell for 4 wheel drive and daddy bought a 68 jeep wagoner for me to haul firewood and play around with on the farm. When i was 14 year's old in 1978 my uncle bought a 68 charger body, when I saw it I couldn't get it off my mind, he saw how much I liked it so he told me if I'd cut him a load of firewood I could have it. That was my first Mopar and I've been messing with them since. But I am passionate about other brands still although I've owned around 60 Mopars through life I've also had a AMC AMX, 55 chevy, SS Monte Carlo, IROC camaro, 2 stingray corvettes and a couple VW beetles, 59 ford F100 and a 64 ford galaxy.:)

Henry Ford intended for all automobiles to be identical, purposely to avoid this "love affair with the automobile". It's nothing more than privately owned transportation. Who "loves" the wagon, bus, trolley, or train they travel in?
Sure a cowboy loves his horse but that is a living creature, lovable like any pet.
Yet here we are. Some will give their vehicle a name. Some make statements like "She died on the highway".
Henry did realize that we would compete with these vehicles. That's the competitive nature of our species and why he had competition in the marketplace. There have been over 200 brands of automobile. No other product comes close.
So... if todays cookie cutter SUV trend is a sign that we are evolving, All the love and attention that was once directed at a vehicle might be directed to were it rightly belongs,,, family, friends, neighbors, pets, our planet.

I admit I like this thread. Passion and soul. Our fashionation with the auto and things mechanical is intriguing.
My dad was born on a SW Ga farm in 1908. He had a love for mechanical and auto stuff, but as a young man the Great Depression hit. He joined the USMC and got into aviation mechanics. Long story, but after 20 years in the service and 5 years of WW11 and Korea he retired in '55 when I was 7. He soon suffered a nervous breakdown as it was called, and actually had little love for mechanicals or cars but loved the farm, agriculture.
I loved anything that had to do with livestock but had a love for the look of cars, their beauty in design and them running down the road.. I had a bad urge to go fast. Dad so that and made sure as a teenager I had no "drag" race stuff like big motors and God forbid, a 4 speed! I found some speed with my quarter horses, I started them and if they bucked , scary but fun. Taking the family car out to see " what it could do top end" was a little scary but fun! I have always had more ability with livestock than born in mechanical abilities I figure. But it has never kept me from learning and trying to do.
Over the decades I have owned man old cars, 99% Mopar, from nut and bolt restoed to parts cars and all in beteen. Never kept count.
I see beauty in God's creations of our world,... and I also see beauty in man's design of automobiles, and the wonder of its mechanicals.

Also fishin, but I prefer ketchin!

The Spanish word for fish (alive and swimming) is "pez". But the Spanish word for a fish out of water (on the hook, in the market, on your dinner plate) is "pescado", translated to English as "catch".

My Rancher Dad bought me a cowboy hat and belt buckle with a longhorn on it.

I found a full-time job at a Chevron station and bought myself a '65 Plymouth Valiant four-door sedan ($125.00). The first thing I did (before converting it to a street-legal bracket racer) was to put a pair of aluminum slots on the rear with A60-13 tires. He could never understand why I bothered to change the wheels over. I "borrowed" the magnum idea from big-brother big blocks. The foto shows the end of the five-year transformation.

65 Valiant2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm 75, now, and have been Nuts about cars, since I was 14. I had a Model A Coupe, with a Flat Head V8 in it - transplanted from a 40 ford - motor - trans - wheels - brakes etc. - VW bucket seats. -- My initials are RPM. I tell people that My Mother must have known that I'd be a Motorhead.

-
Back