Why is it so hard to buy parts from people

-
For sell

Must sale

my lost, your gain

1 pic of the open driver's door area, none of entire car - but - "no time for 20 questions"

No title, easy to get

Yes....those are all great clues to just move on!!

I’ve had great luck on marketplace....not sure why some people get so worked up about it, you can usually tell if the other person is a flake, or if a deal is too good to be true often it is.

Pictures pictures pictures! Don’t see enough pictures....then ask for more! If they don’t send more pictures, something is up and again....move on!

Also, people need to be nice, understanding and polite...if you don’t think the other person is, then move on....plenty of other parts and deals out there!

Last edited:
Another thing is people need to have patience! People work and have jobs, they can’t always reply as soon as YOU want them to, many people have job where they can’t even have their phone with them. General rule of thumb is people should reply in the order of requests or when messages were sent...might even be a day or 2 till you hear back. Sometimes people get too many messages and just want their item sold, so they choose not to reply back to all the other people, could be a doz or more people too! It’s nice to hear back but if you don’t it’s probably already sold and you were too late. I’ve had 100’s, maybe 1,000’s of deals buying and selling on marketplace and CL and most were pretty great, met many great people and even made new friends, but there are some weirdos out there LOL

I found a set of wheels for $80, I was the first to reply saying I wanted them, I figured they were long gone or too good to be true....communicated with the seller back and forth, was wondering if it would even work out since he couldn’t send me a place or time to meet. He was an hour and a half away and I was ready to leave the next morning....I waited and waited, thinking he was gonna flake out, he said he was going to take them with to work and I could meet him there. Finally he said “hey, I’m heading your way and can meet you in St. Cloud” which was awesome cause he saved me 3 hours of driving...he had a job there that day, so I met up with him and got my wheels, it was awesome! He said there was 25 other people who wanted them, some offered to pay a lot more...but honored me since I was the first to reply...if anyone knows what these wheels are $80 for them was the deal of the year :D

Use your gut instinct, if something feels fishy, then go on your way!

2B59A097-48EE-4F0A-8CB4-D612450CF048.jpeg

81014D02-374C-43F0-9A94-3181628070CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Personally, I’m out. Sold my last item last week. After paying USPS $60.00 to ship an intake manifold I say it’s not worth it. I have another intake but I’m just going to store it. If you are local no problem.

Personally, I’m out. Sold my last item last week. After paying USPS $60.00 to ship an intake manifold I say it’s not worth it. I have another intake but I’m just going to store it. If you are local no problem.

Yes shipping prices are stupid high...but that’s another thing! They have new prices for oversized packages too and hardly seems worth it now

Buying used online is convenient but swap meets are the way to go. You meet the seller face to face and you get to examine the parts and deal on the spot. There is cost involved but if you treat the show/swap as a mini vacation it is pretty reasonable entertainment. (and lots of fun) Get together with other Mopar guys in your area and split the costs. In years past I have made some Mopar nats trips that only cost me a few hundred dollars. Split 4 ways even $5/gallon gas is only $1.25 each.

makes sense on the swap meet but there are so few of them it seems. i went to clay city ky for the latest swap and it was not too good on friday but real good to me on sat. but there are things that you don't think to take that someone asks about. i try to list things that i don't really need anymore. things that someone else may need. i try to ship cheapest way possible and hope it is cool with the buyer. i am usually open to negotiation on price but not all the time. i had a guy ask for phone number to send pics of parts. got pics and now crickets. just never know about people.

Buying: I ask IF the guy has ever restored a car. If so, he should be able to give me a GOOD description. Pictures are basically worthless.
If he knows what his parts are/for and the real condition.
Selling: If someone wants to buy one of my cars, ALL me and I will give all the details in the world and they can bank on it. No body is buying basically. Thanks Branden.
Parts: IF I think I might EVER need it, don't sell it. CL is dead here and FB Marketplace wants to charge me for their crap and their search is a JOKE!!!

Buying: I ask IF the guy has ever restored a car. If so, he should be able to give me a GOOD description. Pictures are basically worthless.
If he knows what his parts are/for and the real condition.
Selling: If someone wants to buy one of my cars, ALL me and I will give all the details in the world and they can bank on it. No body is buying basically. Thanks Branden.
Parts: IF I think I might EVER need it, don't sell it. CL is dead here and FB Marketplace wants to charge me for their crap and their search is a JOKE!!!

FB Marketplace charges you? for what?

Another thing, when I list an item for sale on marketplace, I’ll list it in several different groups, some groups it gets approved right away and the ad is posted...other groups it could take a couple days to get approved, and many times my items sell before it’s even posted in all the groups and when it does show up it’s sold. Some people forget to delete it or mark it sold.

Supposed to get more lookers. Not much. Their search mec. is worthless.

I’ve never seen where I have to pay anything to search. I guess I have no problem searching for stuff....there are dozens of different ways to look for items

I’ve never seen where I have to pay anything to search. I guess I have no problem searching for stuff....there are dozens of different ways to look for items
They do not charge you to search. Their search deal is crap. They charge some to run an ad IF you want full exposure they call it. Does not cost much.
I'd say the little guy is not looking to buy right now. he wealthy guy has $$ to spend any time he wishes. But he looks elsewhere.
I'm 74 and wold like to get down to 2 cars I have 5 in various states of DONE> All us car guys love bargains. I could price them for 40 cents on the $ and get some sold. They can sit awhile!
98 (heat index 106) today, hard on us old timers.

i've been looking for a picnic table to use as a base to build a mobile lemonade stand for the kids

since i will be changing everything over anyway i dont want to start with a brand new one, so i've been keeping an eye on the local craigslist for a deal

i think i found one within a decent distance and send an email on it earlier today, (around lunch time) been about 8 hours now, and no reply yet

worst part is...i got a sneaky suspicion the seller just might be a FABO member

I would never buy or sell anything where shipping had to be involved from strangers.

I restored my 69 B body and anything used I bought was from guys I knew who were long standing reputable members of the FBBO forum
I bought a pair of rear convertible panels from a member I knew, he drove up from North Carolina to Richmond and I drove down to Richmond, bought him lunch and we did the deal
As it turns out I never used them and now they are safely stored away
Sadly, id like to help out anyone looking for a pair on the FBBO as they are very hard to find in good condition, if you can find them at all but I cant do that
So maybe this summer I will give Tony D a call and see what he's willing to give me for them and a AM 8 track radio I have for a 69 that was redone by Jules
All my other parts odds and ends I will give him for nothing
Im now facing the same dilemma. Im retiring and looking to sell some welding equipment and one machine. I know someone could use it and id sell it cheap. The money isn't the thing, I need to scale down and get rid of this stuff
Im hesitant to get involved in this marketplace or Craigs list BS and im not shipping
I don't know what im going to do

I havn't been to Mopar Nats in years. TOOO far and too expensive. But back when I did go, I took parts people wanted, not junk chit and priced it to sell and I sold out.

The small town that I live in has a free marketplace that we throw unused items on there. Right in the sign up agreement it states that the person giving away the item chooses who the item goes to. It may be the first person but usually the person that appears to need it the most. You should hear the people complain that don’t work or want to work but try to grab every free item listed. I swear they monitor it 24 hours a day.

Trying to purchase parts from people on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace is so difficult. You can't get them to respond but adds say if add is up part is still for sale. Even when you can get someone to respond and setup a day and time to go to purchase the parts you can't get them to give you an address or a place to meetup so you can purchase these parts. But the parts are still for sale.
I love the "Free" listings then you drill down in the description and it says $4500. I responded to a 'free' item and asked is this free? Its listed as FREE. The guy responded no, its not free, I then screen shotted the free listing and asked why he listed it as free, he said its what people want to see. M-F'r...he's right! Yes, respond to an item and crickets.....see it 4 days later still for sale, "will take down once its sold" same as on offerup. You respond and you hear nothing. at least ebay has an automated mechanism where no real time seller monitoring is needed. Seems the safest way to purchase if you can handle the fees and shipping although shipping through ebay has become incredible affordable nowadays when you use their shipping options. Its unreal how they can ship this cheap on some items. Its even worth telling a remote craigslist seller to post on ebay with a fixed price and send you the link just to get their shipping rates and a secure way to buy it.

The small town that I live in has a free marketplace that we throw unused items on there. Right in the sign up agreement it states that the person giving away the item chooses who the item goes to. It may be the first person but usually the person that appears to need it the most. You should hear the people complain that don’t work or want to work but try to grab every free item listed. I swear they monitor it 24 hours a day.
Im on "free stuff" its an app that scours 3-4 different selling platforms for "free" taglines. I get pings all day for free stuff within 5 miles of any prefered area code and I generally look for 55"+ TV's that people are tossing to fix and flip. Others are on it too as I've called 1 minutes after a ping and was told that 3 others have already called on it and one is on his way. I think its about a 5 minute lag time before free stuff picks it up and sends it out from the other sites. Still a handy application if your into fixing stuff.

I have more ppl wanting to make payments. But the shipping has killed about 25 deals so far this year alone. So today I sent the parts and shipping for free. Kim

kim, you are 1 good guy. a gentleman and a scholar and i won't tell anyone because you, as do i and others here on this site, have a reputation to maintain. hahahaha.

I love the "Free" listings then you drill down in the description and it says $4500. I responded to a 'free' item and asked is this free? Its listed as FREE. The guy responded no, its not free, I then screen shotted the free listing and asked why he listed it as free, he said its what people want to see. M-F'r...he's right! Yes, respond to an item and crickets.....see it 4 days later still for sale, "will take down once its sold" same as on offerup. You respond and you hear nothing. at least ebay has an automated mechanism where no real time seller monitoring is needed. Seems the safest way to purchase if you can handle the fees and shipping although shipping through ebay has become incredible affordable nowadays when you use their shipping options. Its unreal how they can ship this cheap on some items. Its even worth telling a remote craigslist seller to post on ebay with a fixed price and send you the link just to get their shipping rates and a secure way to buy it.

im only on craigslist but i see it there a LOT
and i flag it, every single time

the ones that really piss me off are the "free to a good home...with a 700 dollar adoption fee"

-
Back