WHY MEN FLY AIRPLANES

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
1. Airplanes usually kill you quickly; a woman takes her time.

2. Airplanes can be turned on by the flick of a switch.

3. Airplanes don't get mad if you do a "touch and go."

4. Airplanes don't object to a pre-flight inspection.

5. Airplanes come with a manual to explain their operation.

6. Airplanes have strict weight and balance limitations.

7. Airplanes don't come with in-laws.

8. Airplanes don't care about how many other airplanes you've flown before.

9. Airplanes and pilots both arrive at the same time.

10. Airplanes don't mind if you look at other airplanes.

11. Airplanes don't mind if you buy airplane magazines.

12. Airplanes expect to be tied down.

13. Airplanes don't comment on your piloting skills.

14. Airplanes don't whine unless something is really wrong.

15. However, when airplanes go quiet, just like women, it's usually not good...

But what if you're both pilots.. :lol:
summer2020 011.JPG

The prop on an airplane does not in fact keep the aircraft in the air. Its sole function is to keep the pilot cool during a flight.

To prove this watch how fast he begins to sweats when it stops during flight.

The prop on an airplane does not in fact keep the aircraft in the air. Its sole function is to keep the pilot cool during a flight.

To prove this watch how fast he begins to sweats when it stops during flight.
Try it with a Helicopter!

With your feet hanging over the side while doing 150 knots over tree tops.

Try it with a Helicopter!
They don't glide worth a dam. We had a neighbour who was in the Canadian Armed Forces and flew helicopters for Search and Rescue. He had just landed his copter doing a shut down procedure and the engine blew up. His lucky day.

Rotor wing guy, I did my PPL for fixed wing last year. It was horrible. Boring. 400 hour CFI......I have that many hours getting refuel.....
Not the best experience.

Was a CFI rotor wing long time ago before I lost my medical. Very fun but had to be on your toes constantly. Women where easier to do initial training, need to be soft on the control's. Guys where trying to be like Arnald on the control's, ham fisted, only fingertips are needed at the beginning. Hovering is the hardest thing to do

Rotor wing is a whole different animal than fixed wing, no doubt

Army Huey pilot with over 3000 hours, more than 1500 of those as an instructor pilot. Helicopters do indeed "glide" and can normally be landed safely in an emergency. They just do not have the same glide ratio (i.e. ground distance based on altitude) as most fixed wing aircraft. However, have the transmission seize at altitude or lose a portion of the tail rotor and/or tail boom and life will indeed get interesting (and probably very short).

Cpt, 67J Aeromedical Evacuation Officer , 1982-92 Senior Aviator 1500 plus hrs. Best time of my life. Flying Hueys
Was a constant adrenaline rush, it was so much of a rush that my nose itched constantly. I got a Blackhawk transition a couple of years before I got out. Bhawks don’t have near the “feel “ that the Hawk does, but when the pucker factor is high I’d rather be in a Hawk.
Thanks guys for your service.

3E0A0BAB-50CF-4B62-8D41-6F0AD382FD28.jpeg

Cpt, 67J Aeromedical Evacuation Officer , 1982-92 Senior Aviator 1500 plus hrs. Best time of my life. Flying Hueys
Was a constant adrenaline rush, it was so much of a rush that my nose itched constantly. I got a Blackhawk transition a couple of years before I got out. Bhawks don’t have near the “feel “ that the Hawk does, but when the pucker factor is high I’d rather be in a Hawk.
Thanks guys for your service.

View attachment 1715727646
Nice cut away PVS-5 nods! My guess is you went through flight school when flying NVGs was just a familiarization and not a qualification. Fun days, especially flying with full face PVS-5's and training with the "day filter PVS-5" goggles. I served from 1972 - 1999 and was an Army Aviator from 1983 until I retired (I was also a Senior Aviator - missed my Master wings by 5 months of rated time when I retired). I agree it took much more finesse to fly a Huey than a Hawk, but both proved to be great combat multipliers in their time. I also want to also thank you for your service.

Nice cut away PVS-5 nods! My guess is you went through flight school when flying NVGs was just a familiarization and not a qualification. Fun days, especially flying with full face PVS-5's and training with the "day filter PVS-5" goggles. I served from 1972 - 1999 and was an Army Aviator from 1983 until I retired (I was also a Senior Aviator - missed my Master wings by 5 months of rated time when I retired). I agree it took much more finesse to fly a Huey than a Hawk, but both proved to be great combat multipliers in their time. I also want to also thank you for your service.

By the way, I still have my SPH-4 flight helmet from the day with the surgical tubing used to hold the PVS-5 goggles in place. When we had finally fully transitioned to the ANVIS-6 goggles I could not bring myself to removing the tubing from my helmet.

Actually I didn’t train on NVG at Rucker it was when I went to my first unit.Yes the “goggles that we had were dim and very grainy and ate many batteries.The nearest post from San Antonio
Ft Sam Houston was Ft hood. I filled up a few pages in my logbook with entries to accomplish repairs there. It was my understanding that the goggles were for ground combat and were adapted for flight.
Brooks

You are correct about the PVS-5's. They were indeed ground NVGs adapted for aviation use first as full face and then by applying the "cut away" to the face plate. Interesting you were in San Antonio. I was assigned to the 351st ASA Co (90th ARCOM - USAR) at Fort Sam from 1979-1983. The ARCOM had a flight detachment which was first at Randolph AFB and later moved to a leased hanger on the San Antonio International Airport. My first flights in the left seat of a Huey were from the airport to Camp Bullis where I was taught to hover on the huge drop zone they had installed for the 82nd ABN DIV.

Thank you guys for your service! I have 2 friends that were both US Army helicopter pilots. Ernie Ramsey was once at Ft. Hood, and Jimmy Williams was at Ft. Campbell. Jimmy is a Mopar guy I met at car shows. Last time I saw him was at the Mopar Nats. I scored a free, but rusty Superbird hood, and gave it to Jimmy because he was building a Bird.

one of my church buddies is a CW4 and flies blackhawks for the guard

a few years ago, when we still had a mayor who had morals and a backbone, we had a "Holland still stands" event at church
(this was during the time all commies were disrespecting our flag and our national anthem, so the point was, we still stand for the flag)
it was a 3 day meeting at church to honor our service man, and our police officers

turned out if you fill out the proper paperwork, the guard doesnt mind landing one of their birds on the church backyard

that was pretty cool

IMG_8413.jpg

IMG_8858.jpg

the second man in that picture is congressional medal of Honor recipient Cpl Sammy L Davis, it was an honor listening to him speak

-
Back