Why were the wagons banned?

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly why they stopped producing the wagon in 1967?
Would it be great if someone had a report, a statement of reasons, a newspaper article or something?
This was certainly communicated (at least to the sellers) and certainly with a reason.

I like to read about the history of our cars and this aspect would interest me.

Wagons weren't banned. Not enough were sold to justify making them.

Too bad they stopped production in 66. Here's a 74 Brazilian built Dart hearse. I like it.

74 dart hearse.jpg

This may just be a conspiracy theory but I believe our government banned them ,along with conversion Van's and Drive In movie theaters because of to many illegment babies be conceived. :bs_flag:

In 67, a low price wagon was offered in both the B body Coronet line and the B body Belvedere line. These two budget wagons were labeled simply as Coronet and Belvedere, and replaced the Dart and Valiant wagons price wise. A V8 66 Valiant 100 wagon was priced at $2515. A V8 66 Valiant 200 wagon was priced at $2630. The 67 Belvedere V8 wagon was priced at $2673. These 67 Belvedere and Coronet wagons were also a lower trim level than the lowest trim level Coronet Deluxe sedans and Belvedere I sedans. It likely didn't make sense to create tooling for an A body wagon when a B body wagon could be sold at a comparable price point. Keep in mind that the competition was getting away from compact wagons as well. '67 was the last year for the Chevy II Nova wagon and starting in 66, the Falcon wagon was a Fairlane/Torino with Falcon front clip.
But, at least in Australia & South Africa, Chrysler's only wagon was the A body, so they did go to the trouble of making an A body wagon when Australia got their own all new redesigned A bodies in 1967.

aussie valiant safari.jpg
valiant safari sa.jpg
1968_chrysler_valiant_safari_2.jpg

Last edited:
It's also interesting that just a few years later they saw fit to create the "compact" Volare and Aspen station wagons.

It's also interesting that just a few years later they saw fit to create the "compact" Volare and Aspen station wagons.

Yes. by then the trend was shifting to smaller cars due to the Arab oil embargo, rising fuel prices and long lines at the gas stations.

Sorry for the near derailment. Getting back on track...
Did you see something to suggest they were actually 'banned'? To me that saying some governing body stopped production. Or, just asking why they stopped making them?

If I ever hit the lotto, for sure, I will build a 69 Signet wagon no matter what it costs.

If I ever hit the lotto, for sure, I will build a 69 Signet wagon no matter what it costs.
If you can find a South African 69 Valiant Safari wagon, the most expensive part would probably be shipping it home. Then you could add Signet trim. Found this picture in a Google search.
valiant safari south africa.jpg

-
Back