WHY?

-
Lay it on the engine and take note of the relationship between the end walls and the port and bolt hole alignment. I am betting that intake has been milled. Shouldn't be hard to tell. You can still make it happen......I mean dammit you have the intake off........you COULD take the heads off and have them milled to match but you're going to need to determine if it's been milled and how much first.

Lay it on the engine and take note of the relationship between the end walls and the port and bolt hole alignment. I am betting that intake has been milled. Shouldn't be hard to tell. You can still make it happen......I mean dammit you have the intake off........you COULD take the heads off and have them milled to match but you're going to need to determine if it's been milled and how much first.
well, the intake was new..I bought it new, no box. You can tell its never been bolted onto an engine and never had bolts installed in the EGR block off or anything..They offered to give my money back but I am heartbroken. I have wanted an intake for a LONG time and finally got one and it doesn't work. Hell, no I am afraid to buy another one. I WISH I had someone close by with a few aluminum intakes they would let me bolt on and see if they would be ok or if something is wrong with my engine..Shouldnt be the engine..when I pulled this engine out at the junkyard years ago, the heads needed a lot of work, so I just went back to the junkyard and got another set of heads and had them rebuilt and my factory iron intake had no issues sealing up with ONLY the valley tray..no sealant or paper gaskets at all. This aluminum intake has the valley tray and paper gaskets on both sides of it and STILL wont seal! If there was enough 'meat' between the top of the ports and intake edge I would just plaster RTV or something on it, but there is only a small amount of area above the port windows on the intake and I don't think it would last long before leaking through the RTV. This just sucks! Anyone got a spare aluminum intake I can try to see if it will actually work? Damn I really wanted the street dominator!

Tennessee gets some snow, slick. I hate to tell you. I have friends in the west, middle and east in Tennessee and they all see some snow and cold every winter. Trust me. It ain't just the upper east corner. I bet Leanna @CudaChick1968 wishes it was. lol

LOL , calling someone "slick" , used to start fights where I`m from !!

well, the intake was new..I bought it new, no box. You can tell its never been bolted onto an engine and never had bolts installed in the EGR block off or anything..They offered to give my money back but I am heartbroken. I have wanted an intake for a LONG time and finally got one and it doesn't work. Hell, no I am afraid to buy another one. I WISH I had someone close by with a few aluminum intakes they would let me bolt on and see if they would be ok or if something is wrong with my engine..Shouldnt be the engine..when I pulled this engine out at the junkyard years ago, the heads needed a lot of work, so I just went back to the junkyard and got another set of heads and had them rebuilt and my factory iron intake had no issues sealing up with ONLY the valley tray..no sealant or paper gaskets at all. This aluminum intake has the valley tray and paper gaskets on both sides of it and STILL wont seal! If there was enough 'meat' between the top of the ports and intake edge I would just plaster RTV or something on it, but there is only a small amount of area above the port windows on the intake and I don't think it would last long before leaking through the RTV. This just sucks! Anyone got a spare aluminum intake I can try to see if it will actually work? Damn I really wanted the street dominator!
How about a pic , don`t sound stock if there isn`t enough meat above the port to seal -----???
If they offered to take it back, I would and try another one .

Use thin paper gaskets two per side they are made thin for this reason. Don;t use standard gaskets they are to thick.

The reason aluminum intakes don't seal with the metal valley pane is due to expansion of the aluminum.

We just got a new aluminum Dart block for a build. The sleeves were .001 above the deck cold. At 200 degrees right out of the oven the sleeve was under the deck. The sleeves had to be removed and the block decked the sleeves have to be .003 above the deck or the fire ring won't seal when hot. That is how much the aluminum grows. and th block lifts the head off of the fire ring

I have seen aluminum Hemi's hold the valves open when cold after adjusted when hot. Valve's need to be loose for warm up and readjusted when hot. That is how much heat plays a roll with aluminum parts.

Use two thin paper gaskets per side made for sealing aluminum intakes. I usually would glue them to the valley pan top and bottom on each side. The glue is only used on the pan sides so they will not stick to the heads or intake for re-use. also all new intakes need to be fitted to the motor . Deck height and head thickness or intake angles will affect sealing.

Use thin paper gaskets two per side they are made thin for this reason. Don;t use standard gaskets they are to thick.

The reason aluminum intakes don't seal with the metal valley pane is due to expansion of the aluminum.

We just got a new aluminum Dart block for a build. The sleeves were .001 above the deck cold. At 200 degrees right out of the oven the sleeve was under the deck. The sleeves had to be removed and the block decked the sleeves have to be .003 above the deck or the fire ring won't seal when hot. That is how much the aluminum grows. and th block lifts the head off of the fire ring

I have seen aluminum Hemi's hold the valves open when cold after adjusted when hot. Valve's need to be loose for warm up and readjusted when hot. That is how much heat plays a roll with aluminum parts.

Use two thin paper gaskets per side made for sealing aluminum intakes. I usually would glue them to the valley pan top and bottom on each side. The glue is only used on the pan sides so they will not stick to the heads or intake for re-use. also all new intakes need to be fitted to the motor . Deck height and head thickness or intake angles will affect sealing.
This is EXACTLY how I did it. Glued the paper gaskets to the tray and all.

I think i got it straightened out and didnt have to pull the intake back off afterall... I found 2 things that i didnt like and fixed both so not sure which one fixed it. I told you about spraying carb cleaner along the rail and it revved up right? Well i got to thinking that maybe the gasket between the carb and intake was possibly leaking and sucking that carb cleaner in and not the intake..so i pulled the carb off and that thick gasket was pretty rough..been used a long time, so i found a thin gasket to put between this thick gasket and the intake because that side of the thick gasket was in bad shape. Next, i checked the torque on the intake and it was only at 20 ft. pds..so i tightened it up to 40..Fired it up and she idled on her own!! I ran it for over an hour and drove around and all seems fine thankfully! I do appreciate everyones help with this, thats for sure!!! Now my next problem is finding another thermoquad base plate..the throttle shaft bore on the primary side on mine is worn and it whistles to beat hell when idling and is very aggrevating! Also, i cant get the primaries to close all the way against the idle screw because of this so its wanting to idle at 1000 rpm's..I can pull it back with my hand but it wants to go back up on its own..I think with the throttle shaft bore worn that its binding the primary plates just enough to do this.. This is a big primary thermoquad, wondering if i can use the base plate off any thermoquad as long as it has the big primaries? I know the top plates and center sections vary, but not sure about the bottom plates..This one is a 9077S

I think i got it straightened out and didnt have to pull the intake back off afterall... I found 2 things that i didnt like and fixed both so not sure which one fixed it. I told you about spraying carb cleaner along the rail and it revved up right? Well i got to thinking that maybe the gasket between the carb and intake was possibly leaking and sucking that carb cleaner in and not the intake..so i pulled the carb off and that thick gasket was pretty rough..been used a long time, so i found a thin gasket to put between this thick gasket and the intake because that side of the thick gasket was in bad shape. Next, i checked the torque on the intake and it was only at 20 ft. pds..so i tightened it up to 40..Fired it up and she idled on her own!! I ran it for over an hour and drove around and all seems fine thankfully! I do appreciate everyones help with this, thats for sure!!! Now my next problem is finding another thermoquad base plate..the throttle shaft bore on the primary side on mine is worn and it whistles to beat hell when idling and is very aggrevating! Also, i cant get the primaries to close all the way against the idle screw because of this so its wanting to idle at 1000 rpm's..I can pull it back with my hand but it wants to go back up on its own..I think with the throttle shaft bore worn that its binding the primary plates just enough to do this.. This is a big primary thermoquad, wondering if i can use the base plate off any thermoquad as long as it has the big primaries? I know the top plates and center sections vary, but not sure about the bottom plates..This one is a 9077S

I have a 9077S carburetor. Let me check to see if the base plate is good.

Tennessee gets some snow, slick. I hate to tell you. I have friends in the west, middle and east in Tennessee and they all see some snow and cold every winter. Trust me. It ain't just the upper east corner. I bet Leanna @CudaChick1968 wishes it was. lol
Yeah...Not sure why the term "Slick" was used except maybe you meant to express how nice my hair looks. If that is the case....Thank you.
The following is what I read about Tennessee weather, copied from a website:

"Severe storms occur infrequently. The greatest rainfall occurs in the winter and early spring, especially March; the early fall months, particularly September and October, are the driest. Average annual precipitation (1971–2000) was 54.7 in (138.9 cm) in Memphis and 48 in (122 cm) in Nashville. Snowfall varies and is more prevalent in East Tennessee than in the western section; Nashville gets about 10 in (25.4 cm) a year, Memphis only 5 in (12.7 cm)."

Again, I can deal with some snow, I just don't prefer to be out in it.

Yeah...Not sure why the term "Slick" was used except maybe you meant to express how nice my hair looks. If that is the case....Thank you.
The following is what I read about Tennessee weather, copied from a website:

"Severe storms occur infrequently. The greatest rainfall occurs in the winter and early spring, especially March; the early fall months, particularly September and October, are the driest. Average annual precipitation (1971–2000) was 54.7 in (138.9 cm) in Memphis and 48 in (122 cm) in Nashville. Snowfall varies and is more prevalent in East Tennessee than in the western section; Nashville gets about 10 in (25.4 cm) a year, Memphis only 5 in (12.7 cm)."

Again, I can deal with some snow, I just don't prefer to be out in it.

I'm originally from Pennsylvania and currently living in Colorado, that sounds like basically nothing.

In my experience an aluminum intake will transfer enough heat from the engine to keep itself warm as long as it's not an Air-Gap type but that's with small blocks where the intake acts as the valley cover and gets splashed with hot oil. Factory BB manifolds are basically already Air-Gaps so IDK, might just want to keep the crossover open to be safe and run a 1/2"-1" plastic or wood carb spacer.

Then again do you drive whatever that 440 is in when it's less than 45*F outside? If not you can block off the crossover.

U can get ur base plate re bushed. Maybe that’s the wrong wording. They bore it out and install bushings. In 1 case he did something with the shaft. I’ve a few done for $40.00. I think that’s cheap to fix a carb. Kim

Been playing around with it tonight..all is well except for a minor little thing..with this SD intake, it has this very slight stumble off idle when stabbing the throttle wide open from idle..Its very, very minor..but it wasnt there with the original intake..any reason this single plane would do that where the dual plane iron intake didnt? Im not sure if maybe the big single plane may require even more pump shot than the dual plane did possibly?

Keeping it real as always:

After Katrina, we moved to the northwest corner (third county from Missouri) in the fall of 2016 based mostly on a $hitload of pre-purchase false representations by the guy we bought the place from. One big one was about the weather.

Those "very mild winters here" the first three years more resembled what I grew up with in Illinois' Quad Cities area cold-wise (-19 once) without as much snow. Billy, born and raised in south Louisiana, took delight in building his first snowman but the newness wore off pretty quickly. Every winter since has been varied, some colder and snowier than others (prompting him to add a 4WD beater to his collection), but Mother Nature hasn't once let us forgotten it's winter. We were iced in for eight days in 2014, and rebuilt a quarter of the shop after an F3 in April of 2011. Now we have a storm shelter too.

Wherever you elect to move in Tennessee, do lots of research first with Chambers of Commerce who all have local stats and area demographics. Metro areas pay better but have more crime. Lots of rural areas still have homes for sale under $40,000 -- truly!! -- but you'll have to fix things and will always do more driving because you usually have to give up 'conveniences' ... like grocery stores, doctors, hospitals, dentists, auto parts places, gyms, malls, fast food ... you know, "civilization."

We're only two miles north of town. "Town" is less than three blocks long, only on one side of the street, and quite a few of the storefronts are empty shells. Four police officers keep us safe. Greenfield's sole Claim To Fame was Wimpy's, a hamburger place downtown. It closed a few years ago but a new owner has been trying to restore it the last couple years. Apparently PSC has helped a bit too lol -- I ran into the guy who owns the thrift store while fueling up the Durango the other day. "Hey, one of my customers asked me if this is where that powder coating lady lives and I told him Yes!" It made me laugh ... and proud too, I admit it.

It's quiet, excitement is rare (oh look, Bob's painting his garage!), crime is relatively small and occasional, and thank God we can carry our weapons and use them. But it's hard to make friends because you're an Outsider (or in my case a Yankee which is even worse) ... and for a Big City Kid in heart of The Bible Belt (144 mostly Baptist churches in Weakley County alone), I'm just glad to be blessed with lots of work. After nearly 13 years, I still don't really like it here.

-
Back