Widening wheel Tubbs on a 66 convertible

-

66bof

Reaction score
How much more work is it to widen the convertible wheel wells than doing a hard top car ? Has anyone done this that can give a bit of guidance before I start whacking away 💀

I've never done one, but be sure to leave the top flat so you have clearance for the top frame when the top's down.

I'd like to hear more about this issue myself! Thinking about slamming my 66 Valiant and running 17's all around! Thinking of going HDK in front and spring relocation out back!

How much more work is it to widen the convertible wheel wells than doing a hard top car ? Has anyone done this that can give a bit of guidance before I start whacking away ��

I have done one a loooooong time ago. there is a cap on the 66 convertibles that can come off then you just follow normal widening procedures that you can see pictured here on the forum. then split the cap to make fit the widened tub or just make a new cap to fit.(or treat it just like a sedan or hard top and just split it all in one piece) Your canvas well liner needs to be modified so that it will fit inside the narrowed section Oh and make sure you make a template the cross bar that holds the motor so you can get the correct height on the cross bar so the seat cardboard and actual seat back fits. yeah it has to be slightly adjusted to fit. mine was narrowed to fit (I forgot to template it and I had to actually mock the seat back in the position I wanted and THEN figure out the cuts:banghead:)
so it is easier to do it right the first time instead of being like me in a hurry.

for minimal cutting and easier fab you can:
measure from the underside of the car @ the edge of the wheel well tub to the frame rail. that can give you the difference you can make in your tubs without major cutting and fabrication on the tubs or frame.
just remember you inner tub/frame AND the leaf springs tell you how much you can easily cut for mini tubs. can you go wider? YES but the wider you go the more fab work you will have to do.
here is the easiest widening area to do with just cutting free the inner wheel well tub section and removing unwanted trunk section. easy 2" widening per side.
View attachment !!!!!!!!!!!Mini tub.jpg

-
Back