wierd power steering issue

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I just got my new engine running. I noticed whenever I start the car with the wheels up or on the floor the steering turns to the right by itself. I don't feel any resistance holding the wheel. I have a Saginaw type of power steering pump that came with my march performance system. The steering box came from advance auto parts. The car isn't aligned yet and all the front end parts are new. Im thinking maybe because alignment is off might be causing the steering to be biased right. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steering box issue. There have been articles on this in the past. From what I remember there is some adjustment in the housing on top kof the box that the lines hook to. You have to loosen the bolts that hold it to the box and tap it slightly one way or the other to center it.....then tighten back down and try again. The wheels should not move on their own.

Last edited:
This part....

power-steering-box-fitting.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the procedures...

steering.jpg

Make sure you tap it in the right area to prevent damage...

steer.jpg

Last edited:
Jack the front up, loosen the two bolts holding the control valve down just a little bit. To much and the box will leak. With the engine running tap the valve forwards or backwards until the wheels stay straight. Tighten the two bolts and WALA!

I would exchange the steering box for another unit if it's from a local supplier. You may void your warranty from the manufacturer if you adjust it....

-
Back