Wifes Jeep won't idle

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Good morning !!
My wife's 96 grand Cherokee 4.0 in line six will not idle on its own.
She called me from work this morning and told me about it.
I am not a tec and I now this is an A bodies only site but if some one can help me with this I sure would appreciate it.
First I will disconnect the battery and then see if it will clear it self.
I will look for bad vacuum hoses and if a fuse went out.
I will see if I can find a book on it and check map censers, throttle position,
I don't think a fuel pump will go out like this or if a filter will make it not idle.
I am heading to her work know and let her drive the Dakota home.
Wish me luck making it home.
Thank's. Mike.

Wishing you luck Mike! I had a fuel filter get so bad it would not let the ride idle before, so do not think it can not happen. Same thing also happened to a tranny filter. Caused poor shifting.
Check the codes onff the computer. Auto Zone can provided a little help. (They do here with there computer hand held gizzmo.)

yes, it is the IAC motor, pull it out and clean it with t-body/carb cleaner, dont push of the plunger. Wet the tip of a rag with the clearer and use your finger to clean the opening in the TB, This is a common problem on the dodge/jeeps, the dealer charges $85 to do it, all you need is a can of cleaner and a rag. It takes torx screws to pull the sensor (20 or 25 I think). You really should do this once a year, it gets carboned up in there. Occasionally the motor itself goes bad, its about $35 at a dealer.

As said above IAC. This is a pretty common 4.0 Jeep complaint. If it otherwise has pretty good power I'd look there first. As for the fuel filter, if you cannot remember the last time you replaced it, get a new one! This should be an annual part just like plugs and an air filter. If the fuel filter was so plugged that the engine won't idle, you will be way down on power.

If it even has a fuel filter.....most of the newer Dodges at least don't have them.

I had a throttle position sensor go bad in my 95 Dakota and it didn't set off any codes. But it wouldn't idle. The exact same thing happened in my buddy's 91 Ram. I'm not sure what the voltage requirements are for this sensor but you may want to check there first.

Thanks for all your help I am at home and about to eat a roost beef and mash potato supper. The IAC came up on code at auto zone and I cleaned and put it back on and is running perfectly.
What a hot dayI I did the oil and air service and vacuumed and wash the jeep and drove it to the line.(I live in a dry county). Treva picked up the beer tab and don't know it.
She said that I should not have cleaned it so nice because it was so hot out side, Little does she know!! A young man cleaned it for me for dinner (pizza)
And a few cold one's.

Back in the saddle again.:toothy10:

Thanks for all your help I am at home and about to eat a roost beef and mash potato supper. The IAC came up on code at auto zone and I cleaned and put it back on and is running perfectly.
What a hot dayI I did the oil and air service and vacuumed and wash the jeep and drove it to the line.(I live in a dry county). Treva picked up the beer tab and don't know it.
She said that I should not have cleaned it so nice because it was so hot out side, Little does she know!! A young man cleaned it for me for dinner (pizza)
And a few cold one's.

Back in the saddle again.:toothy10:

You dog!

-
Back