Will 70 Dart V8 K-member fit 65 Barracud?

-

Bob Wilkie

Reaction score
Removing SB V8 K-member from 70 Dart to install independent front suspension. Have an extra 318 I’d like to swap into my 65 Barracuda S/6 car if the K-member will bolt in. Has anyone here done it already?

Removing SB V8 K-member from 70 Dart to install independent front suspension. Have an extra 318 I’d like to swap into my 65 Barracuda S/6 car if the K-member will bolt in. Has anyone here done it already?

You can always sell V8 K frames for 67 up A Bodies. No change needed for 66 down A Bodies, as posted above.

no, won't fit. too wide.
a '65 K frame isn't motor specific. /6 and V8 the same.
All you need is 273 motor mounts
That’s good news. I just assumed I’d need a stronger Kmember for the V8. So it’s just a bolt in if I have the 273 mounts?

To increase strength, Have the entire perimeter of the "K" member welded. It is 50 + years old.

To increase strength, Have the entire perimeter of the "K" member welded. It is 50 + years old.

He's got an early A body. There isn't a defined perimeter that can be welded on the early-A k-members as there is with a 67+ version.

You will also need a V8 center link for the steering.

***Edited to remove a blatant inaccuracy on my part.

Last edited:
I did not realize that early K members was a single plate.

I did not realize that early K members was a single plate.

They’re not. They don’t have a perimeter seam like the later K’s but there are plenty of seams that can be welded and reinforced

From Firm Feel’s website

F02668BC-6E7C-4B28-82A7-C864F577728D.jpeg

I see.
Being that old I would confirm all of the welds have no cracks.
My 75 Swinger had 9 cracks after cleaning all the crud off. Hence the reason I had my K member cracks welded, plus the complete perimeter.

Nope. All of the center links are the same for the early A's. Let's try not to confuse this guy more than he likely already is.

Sorry, Evan....
The A body was originally designed for the slant six so there actually are 2 types of center links. The shallow offset one is the slant six version. The deeper offset works on both slant six and V8 models.

Sorry, Evan....
The A body was originally designed for the slant six so there actually are 2 types of center links. The shallow offset one is the slant six version. The deeper offset works on both slant six and V8 models.

You're right! Sorry for the confusion. Not sure why I had a brain fart on that one. Here's a photo I took many years ago. I was actually able to use the slant 6 centerlink on a V8 '66 Barracuda I had a while back. Rumor has it that some factory slant cars came with the V8 centerlinks from the factory too. Go figure!

upload_2022-9-8_13-17-47.png

I see.
Being that old I would confirm all of the welds have no cracks.
My 75 Swinger had 9 cracks after cleaning all the crud off. Hence the reason I had my K member cracks welded, plus the complete perimeter.

Totally agree. I reinforce all of my K members. My ‘74 K had cracks at the steering box mount that was allowing the steering box to walk back and forth by a good 1/4” to 1/2” when the wheel was turned.

I go over all of the factory welds, weld all of the seams (the entire perimeter on the 67+ K’s), and gusset the steering box mount and LCA pin tubes. I also install a skid plate on the bottom to further gusset the K frame as a whole.

The steering box was the main thing. When dismantling the 75, I found that the two bolts securing the trans to the crossmember were gone.

All these cars have independent front suspension.
You are correct, I didn't think to break it down when I wrote the original post. I bought the entire aftermarket tubular IFS from Control Freaks with coil overs and new brakes.

They’re not. They don’t have a perimeter seam like the later K’s but there are plenty of seams that can be welded and reinforced

From Firm Feel’s website

View attachment 1715982603
I'll have to look again, but I don't remember the K-member under the slant six looking as beefy as the one in your photo. Yours seems more boxed in where I was thinking mine was more angled steel with less enclosed "boxy" areas.

I'll have to look again, but I don't remember the K-member under the slant six looking as beefy as the one in your photo. Yours seems more boxed in where I was thinking mine was more angled steel with less enclosed "boxy" areas.

Its not my K member in the picture, it’s from Firm Feel’s website and it has been reinforced. So some of the open areas have been gusseted.

-
Back