Will 73 and up tie rods fit a 68 center link?

-

Torkmnstr

Reaction score
So I found I have a later k from but want to swap to 68 linkage for better header clearance. Are the 73 tie rods compatible?

The taper is the same but you'll need to adjust the length.

The taper is the same but you'll need to adjust the length.

Nice, I figured I’d have to tweak the length due to a different orientation and drop. Do you know off hand if the pitman arms are the same through the years? I have a manual box.

Nice, I figured I’d have to tweak the length due to a different orientation and drop. Do you know off hand if the pitman arms are the same through the years? I have a manual box.

Pitman arms are different 68-72 and 73-76. With a manual steering box the output shaft has the same diameter, but the ball joint was flipped. 68-72 points up (the nut is on top of the center link), 73-76 points down. If you use a 68-72 center link you need to use a 68-72 pitman arm and idler.

68-72
68-72.jpg

73-76
73-76.jpg

IMG_5498.jpeg

Yup that’s the ticket. A buddy has the center link and a new pitman and idler are on order. It’s just to bad I bashed my nice new headers in for nothing. DOH

Yup that’s the ticket. A buddy has the center link and a new pitman and idler are on order. It’s just to bad I bashed my nice new headers in for nothing. DOH

I’m not sure changing the steering linkage will help in that department. I run Doug’s D453’s on the 340 in my ‘74 Duster, they clear the 73+ steering linkage just fine.

-
Back